Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RnB, Hiphop, Rap and Afrobeat Gig Events

Options
  • 06-01-2015 7:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

I'm from the Dundalk area and would love to see club events or gigs that showcase RnB, Hiphop, Rap and Afrobeat. To see any event in this nature would mean travelling to Dublin, but as we are a more multicultural more events should take place and would be great for the town in particular both the colleges with the number of nationalities present.

I wonder do many people feel the same way and would like to see something different or an event of this nature in the town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I'm from the Dundalk area and would love to see club events or gigs that showcase RnB, Hiphop, Rap and Afrobeat. To see any event in this nature would mean travelling to Dublin, but as we are a more multicultural more events should take place and would be great for the town in particular both the colleges with the number of nationalities present.

I wonder do many people feel the same way and would like to see something different or an event of this nature in the town?

I think the problem with gigs in towns outside Dublin is that it can be very hard to predict what size crowd will attend.

I think Dublin is a safer bet for promoters because of the population there. As well as that, lots of people from surrounding counties and towns go to the gigs in Dublin, many of which are not sold out.

Another issue that might be a negative factor in holding gigs in locations outside Dublin, may be that there are more regular public transport options like the buses or the train for getting to and home from gigs in Dublin, for people from surrounding commuter towns, than there is from those towns at night.

For instance, just to take Dundalk or Drogheda as an example, if going to a gig in Dublin, the last train from Dublin to Drogheda and Dundalk is 11.37pm from Connolly Station and the last Bus Éireann 100X service, from Customs House Quay, is midnight and there's also Matthews services to Dundalk with a last bus at 11.30pm.

But if someone from anywhere in Meath or Cavan was going to a gig in Dundalk or Drogheda they'd have to drive, or go with a group and hire a bus.

Even someone from Drogheda going to a gig in Dundalk couldn't opt for the Bus Éireann services. The last 100 service from Dundalk to Drogheda is at 5pm and the last 100X service from Dundalk going through Drogheda is at 8.30pm. (The next 100X service is at 3.30am from Dundalk.)

I guess you already know, but the promoters Choice Cuts host many of the type of shows you mention, in the Sugar Club.

They had Tony Allen there about 18 months ago with the Colours Afrobeat Foundation, a great gig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 sarah.dyas2013

Thank you very much for response. Transportation service would be such a hinderance to have such an event as I know that people would probably like to try and see something different in a Hiphop, Afrobeat event and at best stay close to home, but to do so would involve driving or hire bus.

The college would be a pull in factor with so many diverse nationalities in attendance but then choice of nights would also be a driving force it would work for Dublin but would it for any towns outside of Dublin!!!!

Advertisement