Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rats Rats Rats On the Farm

• 06-01-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Any advice as to the best poison ( Is Storm the best) to put down for rats - over run with them in the last few days.

Have a dog already - no much good & can't get get hold of a ferret

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Poison brand is immaterial. You should change your active ingredient after ever bucket anyway to prevent resistance build up.

Blocks threaded through 3'' pipe ( plastic bale centers are ideal) with tying wire. Wear a pair thin plastic gloves and another heavier pair over. Wash well after doing baits. If infestation is heavy you will go through a lot of poison but keep it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Where are you based? Cousin has a ferret and weve a few jack russels between us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

make a bucket trap - you wont have poisoned dead ones rotting here n there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Ferrets do a really great job if you could get hold of them.

We keep two just for this reason. Better than any poison. We let them lose for a couple of days a week. They do run around the sheds and down rat holes and come when called for feeding.
    Haven't seen a rat since we got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭retro d

Air Rifle is the job for them , no poison bait , just lead poison between the eyes I have all the gear , pm me if you need me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

Anyone any idea how to keep rats out of the place? I'll have the shed emptied out of hay, straw and almost all of timber cut and bagged. Going to powerwash everywhere. Loads of rat droppings. I've an owl box so I'm a little nervous about poison. Does iodine sprayed around the shed act as a repellent? Are there any longterm heavy odour sprays that can be applied? There's been a build up of stuff in the shed for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaboRoig

I've had most success with cats. I've three of them outside all the time. Before I got them I had fierce trouble with rats as I have a reasonably big poultry set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭50HX

I invested in one of these, great job

Good nature....no posion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭50HX

Good nature

150- 180euro

• Advertisement

Excellent but my worry is wildlife eating dead carcasses.

There are loads of DIY methods on YouTube such as the barrel of water and another one tried and tested which is mixing baking soda with uncooked semolina or cornflour which results in a gas build up in the intestines which ruptures and kills the rat as they can neither belch nor pass gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Best option is a cat. We regularly see the results at the back door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anything but poison. Really dated solution, harmful to wildlife through secondary poisoning. Anyone shouldn't use it in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Severn valley ratters!!! A team of psychotic Jack Russell terriers, if they can't help you nobody can!!! See them on the Youtube

If you can find their burrow holes, pour a cup of bleach in, or seal the holes and pour petrol into one and crack a match. Each suffocates them.

Advertisement