Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this course worth doing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

This is like a 'pre nursing' course. Are you interested in becoming a nurse? If so then you could look into some mature entry routes in colleges that offer nursing degrees. Really that course you are looking at won't qualify you in anything to do with healthcare. If you want to be a nurse you'll need to look at a recognised level 8 course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks, would I be able to do anything at the end of it? what form of assessment is there with Fetac level 5 ?. I would not be able to commit to 4 years of full time study to do a degree. I have a degree in an unrelated area already, plus some third level Psychology. I just have a feeling that I'd like to be involved in Health Care. Could I apply for work in any form of care setting if I did this course? or combine it with others?.

What qualifications would an average Health Care Assistant in a hospital have?

Is there any way to become a nurse other than through a 4 year degree? I now see that Fetac level 5 is composed of 8 modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kjbsrah1

If you read the Fetac Handbook you will see that Fetac Level 5 course it the equivalent of the Leaving Certificate....

http://www.adulteducationhandbook.com/index.cfm/spKey/qualifications.what_about_fetac_.html

• Advertisement

Thank you....not ideal for someone with an (unrelated) honours degree already....what is the best option then for a 35 year old with an interest in Health Care?....

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kjbsrah1

I'm afraid i have absolutely no idea - i don't work in that field myself. At a guess i'd say contact the Department of Health, the Department of Education, or even the equivilent of the local FAS office. Find out where there is a careers advisor and go and talk to them. There are regular careers fairs in the likes of the RDS where lots of career paths are represented. If you know anyone working in what ever area of Health care you want to work in go and talk to them and see what they suggest. Best of luck with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ciara_may

Doing a fetac level 5 in pre nursing will allow you to work as a health care assistant you will be able to work in hospital wards, nursing homes, day centres ect :)

Would probably have to do all 8 Fetac modules ? I really would like to work in a hospital. Sadly I have dependants and a four year degree, full-time isn't possible. Sadly there doesn't appear to be anything in the 1-2 year duration for graduates. I'm concerned about the level of job I'd get with Fetac, but will continue to research more. Do feel an urge to work in a care setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Would probably have to do all 8 Fetac modules ? I really would like to work in a hospital. Sadly I have dependants and a four year degree, full-time isn't possible. Sadly there doesn't appear to be anything in the 1-2 year duration for graduates. I'm concerned about the level of job I'd get with Fetac, but will continue to research more. Do feel an urge to work in a care setting.

Yes, you need a major award at level 5 (8 modules) to work in a care setting. You would be qualified as a Care Assistant.
    Depending on your degree you may get some exemptions. There is no short cut to nursing I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    Yes, you need a major award at level 5 (8 modules) to work in a care setting. You would be qualified as a Care Assistant.
    Depending on your degree you may get some exemptions. There is no short cut to nursing I'm afraid.
    There is no short cut to nursing thankfully.

OP googling healthcare assistant jobs agrees with the above.

Thank you, my degree is in Psychology and also hold a Counselling Foundation Cert, which while useful, probably wouldn't grant any exemptions.

Is a Health Care Assistant a general ' Dog's Body'? who does the manual side of Health Care, while a nurse would do the more skilled duties?. And would a Dental Assistant be separate?

Ok at least I know now what these courses are, the brochures do not explain things very well. They advertise them as stand alone, but they're not really. One needs to do them all. I know now, thanks.

S :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Is a Health Care Assistant a general ' Dog's Body'? who does the manual side of Health Care, while a nurse would do the more skilled duties?. And would a Dental Assistant be separate?

A HCA will do beds, moving and lifting of patients, assisting with hygiene and feeding, putting on TEDs etc. They are not a 'dogsbody', in that they shouldn't be asked to do something that a nurse doesn't want to do because it's unpleasant, but they do mainly manual care jobs. They tend to have great relationships with patients because of how close they are to them, lots are very well respected on their wards.

Not allowed take charge of any care, can't do anything with bloods, fluids, meds, notes or documentation. Nothing to do with skill and progression, a HCA will not be trained in the same things and is not a member of a professional body.

Here's a good diary entry http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/jobs/profiles/careassistant.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Luke_Murphy

Any advice for someone applying for work experience as a HCA in a nursing home?

Advertisement