Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbrush cleaning service in Dublin? Or maybe I need to change my cleaning technique?

Options
  • 06-01-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello all
    I have the Tamiya Spray-Work basic compressor with airbrush for almost a year. It's their oldest airbrush as far as I know. I've attached a pic of it. I clean it after every use....bit of Tamiya X-20A into the cup... spray out the thinner while placing my finger over the tip a couple of times.... and put those 3 essential internal brass parts in warm water before re-assembly. I don't run cold or warm water through the airbrush during cleaning. Should I?
    The airbrush isn't performing as well as it used to though. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the airbrushes to be fair, but the results I achieved 6 months ago were more satisfactory then they have been of late.
    Isn't there some 'thorough cleaning' technique which involves a sort of 'deep cleaning'? I haven't got a huge budget to invest in one of these items. They look like mini deep fat fryers IIRC.
    I'm considering buying a new airbrush in the next couple of months. Not sure if this is necessary really...but I am at the stage where I need to start getting small details on my kits... German 3 tone camo etc.
    I think i'm getting my paint:thinner ratio correct but I'm getting a bit of spattering when I spray. So, maybe not.
    Maybe a seriously thorough clean is what it needs more than anything? It is an old generation airbrush afterall so who knows.
    Would be happy to hear your opinions on it guys
    Cheers

gallery_74520_kit.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'm no expert but have you eliminated an air pressure issue? It could be the compressor or the hose and not necessarily the airbrush itself.

I think you're referring to an ultrasonic cleaner, I have one and will gladly give you the use of it in turn for some painting and weathering on my Tiger tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

Hi T-Maxx
    Thanks for your message! I think everything is ok with the hose and the compressor. I have managed to eliminate some of the earlier issues, thankfully :rolleyes:
    The ultrasonic cleaner sounds the business. As for the painting and weathering, you have a kit made that needs complete painting and application of washes and pigments, is it? What scale, may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Ive never found the ultra sonic cleaners great for an airbrush. I use the same type tamiya paints as you and the ultrasonic cleaner just doesnt seem to do a lot.
    I found the best thing to do is strip the airbrush, soak the bits in celulose thinners and all the paint will just wipe off with kitchen paper.
    The air brush you have is easy enough to strip (manual shows you how).

Just heads up.... do not soak the plastic parts in thinners. Just the metal bits.

For the plastic parts like the handle, just use hot water and a brush.

What you CAN do is put thinners in an ultrasonic cleaner.... then its great! lol but in fairness a 10 min spoak in a tray filled with thinners will easily clean your brush.

For the future, with the tamiya paints being water soluble, a bit of water through it after a colour change is a good idea. I also blow a thimble full of celulose thinners through it at the end of a session.
    If its spattering it means 1. pressure too low or 2. paint too thick. About 70% thinner to 30% paint works for tamiya paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

Many thanks, The Doktor
    Some good tips there. I had usually followed the instructions of the manual with the airbrush and used Tamiya 2:1 Thinner and that was always ok but I think you are right, I can certainly improve with the ratios. Every time I fire up the airbrush, I am learning something new about its use.
    Cellulose thinners sound good. I'll definitely give those a try!
    Cheers again mate :)

Advertisement