Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New anti drugs movement vows to kick dangerous crime gang out of Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

The guards know who these guys are, the journos know who they are, the man on the street knows who they are, my dog has a fair idea of who they are. Yet they seem to continue to operate without being held to account. Correct action would be for the authorities to put them out of business which isn't going to happen for whatever reasons. Another group looking to expose them and will probably up the pressure for the authorities to do something about it which would only be a good thing.

Life aint perfect but I suppose at least these guys are trying something and are definitely putting their own personal safety at risk in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/new-anti-drugs-movement-vows-4918294

What are your thoughts on this article. While I do agree that we have a serious drug problem in Sligo not sure if a group with strong republican links is the way to solve it.

Is Sligo on the brink of a bloodbath between these gangs?

Well thankfully we don't have much reports about it here as Dublin would have. I mean its everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Vlove wrote: »
    Well thankfully we don't have much reports about it here as Dublin would have. I mean its everywhere!

Don't know if I can agree with you there. Id say per population of people we have a fairly bad drug problem. Most nights I am out now, I get offered drugs by more than one or two strangers.

Also I mentioned on here before about an incident I witnessed in the Four Lights during the Fleadh, a group of about thirty 16 year olds where surrounding a young lad who was unconscious, a few adults that were assisting him asked what he had taken, the kids told her 'we have been eating tablets all day' and that he could have taken up to ten ecstasy tablets.

So it is definitely on our doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

"Most nights I am out now, I get offered drugs by more than one or two strangers"

dont know what part of town your going to,but if i was you i'd stop going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

glaswegian wrote: »
    "Most nights I am out now, I get offered drugs by more than one or two strangers"

dont know what part of town your going to,but if i was you i'd stop going there.
    Pubs on Grattan St,O'Connell St and any club or pub by the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I've been plenty of times to pubs on all those streets, never offered drugs. Maybe offered something three or four times in over a number of years. Don't get Sligo being ruined with drugs sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Being approached by dealers is all down to your age and/or your appearance.

As for the rest of it, I'll believe it when I see it.

But for sure, drugs are all over the place, getting worse and younger users.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

I've been going out in sligo for the last 12 years more or less, less frequently since i moved away about 5 years ago, but even so i have never been offered anything, certainly not by anyone i din't know.

Not in the garavogue,toffs, the velvet, fiddlers, shoots, mchughs, the belfry, connollys or anywhere else for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Zymurgist wrote: »
    I've been going out in sligo for the last 12 years more or less, less frequently since i moved away about 5 years ago, but even so i have never been offered anything, certainly not by anyone i din't know.

Not in the garavogue,toffs, the velvet, fiddlers, shoots, mchughs, the belfry, connollys or anywhere else for that matter.

Doesn't mean drugs are not being offered just because you are offered them. Myself and my husband have never been offered drugs in our local county town but my son, who is eighteen, can't walk down the street on a Saturday in broad daylight without being offered drugs.

Dealers can spot a potential customer at 50 paces. So don't be fooling yourself that they are not there because you have not been asked. But that's not a problem peculiar to Sligo, it's nationwide.

Here's some maths for you.

Eg: One dealer has 20 clients/customer on class "A". Each client spends €200 a week (which may shock you, but to someone in the grips of addiction, this is nothing).

20 Clients x €200 spend x 52 weeks a year = €208,000.

There is a whole industry out there. Don't kid yourself that there isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Sorry to clarify, i don't doubt that there are people being offered drugs.

I do think though the actual scale of it has been sensationalized as a result of that article.

Yes indeed, sensationalist headlines. Paper never refused ink.

Like I said, "I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

If you were going to run somebody out of the town you wouldn't give him warning by going to 2 national newspapers and the local radio station.

You'd just do whatever you'd planned nice and quietly.

This head of the anti-drug movement is just looking for attention, or to give himself some sort of hard man rep.

As regards being offered drugs, I've been going out in town since I was 17, that's 14 years ago, and nobody has ever asked me if I wanted to buy drugs.

I didn't think dealers really did that. It's quite a risk to take, especially considering there's probably not a person in this town who wouldn't know where to go to get drugs if they wanted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

Kettleson wrote: »

Eg: One dealer has 20 clients/customer on class "A". Each client spends €200 a week (which may shock you, but to someone in the grips of addiction, this is nothing).

Hold on. Are you suggesting that 'HEROIN' has become a big problem in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Is Sligo on the brink of a bloodbath between these gangs?

Feck no. The only thing Sligo is endanger of, is more sensationalist headlines from the arse wipe Irish Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I go to Shoots / Hargadon's / Furey's / Foley's, and I have never been offered illegal drugs, or seen any sign of drug use.

Hold on. Are you suggesting that 'HEROIN' has become a big problem in Sligo?

Class A Drugs.

http://www.talktofrank.com/faq/what-drug-classification-system

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In all my time in Sligo, and in them areas, i think I have been offered twice, and maybe seen evidence of drugs being taken a couple of times. I'd say the dealers have their regulars, or might be able to guess who is interested, hence people claiming not being approached.

Saying that, I'd agree that anyone who is interested would know where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Drugs aren't classified in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

Well if it's not heroin then Kettleson must be implying that Sligo is awash with 'crack cocaine'.

I'm nearly afraid to leave my house now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Well if it's not heroin then Kettleson must be implying that Sligo is awash with 'crack cocaine'.

I'm nearly afraid to leave my house now :(

Someone will be around knocking on your back door to offer you some heroin in the next five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Don't know if I can agree with you there. Id say per population of people we have a fairly bad drug problem. Most nights I am out now, I get offered drugs by more than one or two strangers.

Also I mentioned on here before about an incident I witnessed in the Four Lights during the Fleadh, a group of about thirty 16 year olds where surrounding a young lad who was unconscious, a few adults that were assisting him asked what he had taken, the kids told her 'we have been eating tablets all day' and that he could have taken up to ten ecstasy tablets.

So it is definitely on our doorstep.

I'm calling absolute B.S on this. The only way you're being offered drugs is if you know the lads selling and they think you may want some. Have never had a stranger come up to me asking me did I want some.

Dealers can spot a potential customer at 50 paces. So don't be fooling yourself that they are not there because you have not been asked. But that's not a problem peculiar to Sligo, it's nationwide.

There is no way your average drug user is spending 200 quid a week. Junkies maybe, but Sligo has very very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I'm calling absolute B.S on this. The only way you're being offered drugs is if you know the lads selling and they think you may want some. Have never had a stranger come up to me asking me did I want some.

My child did during the last Fleadh and he is only 14.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

These anti drug vigilantes are usually the worst knackers going. The sort that could do with a few yokes to give them some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

I'd stay away from the canals for the foreseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

loki7777 wrote: »
    My child did during the last Fleadh and he is only 14.

Were they any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Henlars67 wrote: »
    If you were going to run somebody out of the town you wouldn't give him warning by going to 2 national newspapers and the local radio station.

You'd just do whatever you'd planned nice and quietly.

This head of the anti-drug movement is just looking for attention, or to give himself some sort of hard man rep.

As regards being offered drugs, I've been going out in town since I was 17, that's 14 years ago, and nobody has ever asked me if I wanted to buy drugs.

I didn't think dealers really did that. It's quite a risk to take, especially considering there's probably not a person in this town who wouldn't know where to go to get drugs if they wanted them.
    He may be looking for attention but most likely there is a threat of some kind on him by the criminal gang. Going public sometimes can help defuse these issues as most criminals don't like their business made public. Although looking at another thread here the Gardai have them in their sights.

Advertisement