Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northwave arctic boot or similar. Any feedback?

• 06-01-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I don't wear cleats/clip in shoes when cycling as most of my cycling is commuting. I wear standard running shoes and either strapped clips or strapless clips depending on which bike I'm on.
    I commute maybe 120 klm in a good week, and maybe the occasional weekend long spin.
    I've really noticed the numbing cold in my toes the past few cycles and recently was caught in a downpour where my rain gear did a great job but my shoes failed miserably..cold wet feet and 20k of misery..

I was looking at a pair of overshoes to leave in my pannier bag for wet days and might still, but came across some winter cycling boots that I like the look of.. Northwave winter tech arctic.

They aren't cheap but look good and have some decent reviews online..
    Has anyone first hand experience of these or similar?
    Are they suitable for commuting?

Does anyone in Dublin stock them? I read that the sizing is funny and to buy larger than normal so I'd like to buy somewhere I can try them first..

Pete

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I bought a pair earlier in the winter.
    One of the best purchases I have made in Winter kit.Superb boots and this coming from someone who suffers form cold feet/toes.
    I think the Celsius is for MTB and FAHRENHEIET for road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I have a pair of sidi diablos - same sort of spec as them. Excellent for winter commuting and spins on muddy / wet roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Sizewise I usually take a 10 or 11 so got 11 just to be safe.
    A size 10 would be too tight so glad I did but I have another pair of Northwave so judged the size of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

Thanks guys. Good to hear, I will maybe try go up a size. I think the Fahrenheit winter boot looks the job.

Cheers
    Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I got a pair of the northwave goretex aswell for this winter. Brilliant in this weather. Even when it rains and your feet eventually get wet, there is no windchill, and no numb toes. They act like a wetsuit. Im normally a 9, and got a 10. Same as my other northwave.

• Advertisement

I have a lead on a pair in my size, but they are the M version not the road so they have some grips and a thicker sole.
    I wont be adding cleats and plan to wear them like normal footwear using my pedal clips, but I am not sure if the M versions would be too bulky with the thicker sole?

Any thoughts?
    P

the mountain bike ones (spd, recessed cleat) should be ok, but the spd-sl (road bike ones) wont be any good if using without cleats, and you will probably break your neck trying to walk in them. You can get pedals that have an spd cleat on one side, and a flat pedal on the other. That's probably what I would do if I was you.

lennymc wrote: »
    the mountain bike ones (spd, recessed cleat) should be ok, but the spd-sl (road bike ones) wont be any good if using without cleats, and you will probably break your neck trying to walk in them. You can get pedals that have an spd cleat on one side, and a flat pedal on the other. That's probably what I would do if I was you.

Thanks Lenny, I didnt get the whole cleat terminology so thats really useful and makes sense actually. I might take a punt on a pair of the mtb version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

If it's commuting I'd go with the celcius mtb shoes and get spd pedals. As lenny said the cleat is recessed so you can walk in them. There is no way you could use the road version with out cleats and I'd be going with spd-sl or look pedals with these.

If your not using clipless pedals you could just get a decent set of goretex hiking boots much cheaper. Do you have decent mudguards on the bike? Having a good front one makes a huge difference to stopping your feet getting soaked.

Those of you who have the winter boots do you still use over shoes with them? Much easier throwing these in the wash than having to clean your shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    If it's commuting I'd go with the celcius mtb shoes and get spd pedals. As lenny said the cleat is recessed so you can walk in them. There is no way you could use the road version with out cleats and I'd be going with spd-sl or look pedals with these.

If your not using clipless pedals you could just get a decent set of goretex hiking boots much cheaper. Do you have decent mudguards on the bike? Having a good front one makes a huge difference to stopping your feet getting soaked.

Those of you who have the winter boots do you still use over shoes with them? Much easier throwing these in the wash than having to clean your shoes.

Cheers Ryath,

My bikes have full length proper mudguards so its not spray back on normal roads. My problem is that about 5/6k of my cycle is on dark unlit backroads. In the dry its not a problem, well lit up hold your line and plough on but in heavy rain “your line” happens to be one 6k long puddle and you cant really deviate off it so I am soaked between the throw up off my own bike and the spray of passing cars. Last time I got home and from the shins up was bone dry but my feet were soaked, socks shoes the lot. I think it sounds like the celcius mtb shoes might be the job alright, and I think your right, it would make sense to get the SPD pedals to match. Are SPD only for MTB shoes? During summer I would switch from the boot to a shoe, so can you buy decent SPD shoes in a road style? I don’t want to be cycling my road bike during the summer in shorts with a big pair of heavy soled shoes?
    I suppose I could buy two pairs of SPD pedals now and the boots, then in the summer switch to road shoes and pedals?

Ryath wrote: »

No. My boots get washed when it rains. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have some Northwave carbon goretex winter boots that I bought a few years ago but only started using properly this winter.

They're great except that they don't stop rain coming in through the top of the boot.

I'm been considering using some nanoflex arm warmers as a gaitor to stop this, but it rarely rains on my commute so it's only an issue about once a month, and since the boot is waterproof they're not uncomfortable when full of water.

Wet roads are much more common than falling rain, so they're definitely an improvement over regular shoes and overshoes which never seem to work very well and wear out.

I never clean them. They're black!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

R1_Pete wrote: »
    Cheers Ryath,

My bikes have full length proper mudguards so its not spray back on normal roads. My problem is that about 5/6k of my cycle is on dark unlit backroads. In the dry its not a problem, well lit up hold your line and plough on but in heavy rain “your line” happens to be one 6k long puddle and you cant really deviate off it so I am soaked between the throw up off my own bike and the spray of passing cars. Last time I got home and from the shins up was bone dry but my feet were soaked, socks shoes the lot. I think it sounds like the celcius mtb shoes might be the job alright, and I think your right, it would make sense to get the SPD pedals to match. Are SPD only for MTB shoes? During summer I would switch from the boot to a shoe, so can you buy decent SPD shoes in a road style? I don’t want to be cycling my road bike during the summer in shorts with a big pair of heavy soled shoes?
    I suppose I could buy two pairs of SPD pedals now and the boots, then in the summer switch to road shoes and pedals?

Well worth making the move to spd pedals thought maybe you didn't like using them. A lot of road shoes will take spd cleats but the cleat won't be recessed like with mtb shoes. I've never used spd cleats on a road shoe but imagine they're not great to walk in you have to be careful enough with look cleats.

You can get light mtb shoes that don't look to dissimilar to road shoes except for the grips on the sole.

Spd's are easiest to use and cheaper. I'd get a pair of regular mtb shoes now and get some neoprene overshoes more versatile and cheaper than winter boots. Down the line you could get the winter boots if you feel you still need them and dedicated road shoes and pedals for the road bike if you feel you must obey rule 34!
    Lumen wrote: »
    I have some Northwave carbon goretex winter boots that I bought a few years ago but only started using properly this winter.

They're great except that they don't stop rain coming in through the top of the boot.

I'm been considering using some nanoflex arm warmers as a gaitor to stop this, but it rarely rains on my commute so it's only an issue about once a month, and since the boot is waterproof they're not uncomfortable when full of water.
    I know you're skinny but surely the leg warmers would fit better!:)
    Lumen wrote: »
    Wet roads are much more common than falling rain, so they're definitely an improvement over regular shoes and overshoes which never seem to work very well and wear out.

I never clean them. They're black!

I have 4 pairs and only one are black which I are my least favourite pair.

Good point on them wearing out they do start to look shabby very quickly. I'm sort of tempted to get a mtb pair. I need new mtb shoes and they would be good for the winter/commuter bike but I don't know if I can bring myself to stick spd pedals on it. I can practically cycle to the changing rooms at work so walking in looks cleats is not much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭budgie001

I have the Mavic Frost, fine in dry cold weather but really awful in the rain. They become small frideges :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've experimented with my sidi diablos in the rain - I find if I wear an ankle sick, it prevents water soaking into the boot. So there's a break between my leggings (put these outside the boot) and the sock.

Santa brought me a pair of berghaus goretex leggings - they are the only ones I could find with long leg that will prevent them riding up over the boot.

Cheers all. Took the plunge on a pair of Northwave Gortex Arctic Commuter MTB boots.. A pal has a pair of pedals and cleats I can try. A whole new world of falling off awaits at the weekend :)

Bagged a pair in my size, new and boxed for €122 delivered so well happy at that. I look forward to trying them, no doubt ill be back on with more dumb pedal related questions as this will lead to upgrading all my pedals, buying sumemr shoes..blah blah :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Would you share where you got them? At that price I'd be tempted!!

Absolutely. I snagged them on ebay. It was a private listing, buy it now etc for £95, with free UK delivery (Parcel motel).
    I have seen some for less but in smaller sizes, I bought A 44 eu/uk 10.

There was one seller who had several pairs in various sizes, all seemed reasonable.

Peter

Advertisement