Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert English book recommendations, please

Options
  • 06-01-2015 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I'm French-based with bilingual children, the eldest of whom is in the equivalent of first-year in France. I've decided to 'shadow' the junior cert English curriculum with her to build her English writing skills. I'd love some advice from students, parents or teachers on the best workbooks, grammar books, basic school books at junior cert level in English, since I'll need to order them remotely, and I haven't found any decent reviews on school text books. So which books did you find most useful in English? And which are to be avoided?
    Thanks for any assistance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Well to tell you the truth I don't think we ever used an English book in Secondary School at all. Grammar isn't something regularly taught (at least based on my experience) as it's something we're expected to already have, due to being fluent in the language (or supposed to be).

I'd recommend teaching your son/daughter using novels, dramas, poets and films in English. This way they're engaging with the language at a much more casual level. Their vocabulary, grammar and structure should naturally improve, from being exposed to these different forms of language.

One book I believe my Junior Cert English teacher took a lot of our notes on writing from was from a textbook called 'Chrysalis' (http://www.cjfallon.ie/book/chrysalis-%E2%80%93-new-edition/). I'm not certain how the book is overall, but from the short stories and writing exercises my teacher took from it, it appears to be fairly solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

For Higher level JC, students study an average of 10 to 15 poems by varied poets. It is important that 2 poems studied are of the same poet though. They study a novel and a shakespearean play. There is a big focus on essay writing and comprehension in paper one. A little media studies is also on the course.

If you look up examinations.ie and search for the exam papers, you will see everything that students are required to know. Textbooks don't tend to be used for english, as high scoring students will form their own opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FrenchHomeSwap

Thanks very much for the tips. I had noticed that the subject seemed very open ended when I looked up the curriculum; I'll check out that book Chrysalis and see if it's any use!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

We used Key Skills in third year. Admittedly, it was quite exam-focused but it really was a great asset when preparing for paper 1 (which is the more composition-based paper, including reading comprehensions, essays and media studies).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

We used Key Skills in third year. Admittedly, it was quite exam-focused but it really was a great asset when preparing for paper 1 (which is the more composition-based paper, including reading comprehensions, essays and media studies).

I second that, great book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement