Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hybrid- carbon fork?

• 06-01-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone can help. A friend is about to buy a hybrid on the BTW scheme and has been looking at a few locally. I have road bikes and have never actually ridden a hybrid but very reputable Bike shop told him for what he needs (approx 30km daily round trip commute) the carbon fork isn't necessary.

Now I have carbon and alu/carbon fork road bikes so don't have experience with alloy fork but I would have thought for daily commuting it would be worth going for the carbon fork? Also the guys 92kg and was being scared off the carbon as the shop had a broken one in at the time 'from a guy similar to his size'. Again I'm a bit dubious of this and would have thought that his weight wasn't a problem in choosing the fork?

Would appreciate anyone's help I want him to get the right bike (he's set on a hybrid I have tried the road bike persuasion!) as the scheme only comes round every 5 years so he needs to make the most of it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I had a carbon fork on my hybrid and I'm 100kg plus - no issue.
    They reduce road buzz and if he has the option of one with or without then I'd go with the carbon.
    Just out of interest why a hybrid - is the commute part off road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

I had a carbon fork on my hybrid and I'm 100kg plus - no issue.
    They reduce road buzz and if he has the option of one with or without then I'd go with the carbon.
    Just out of interest why a hybrid - is the commute part off road?

no its all on road but he was happy with his old one and the upright position. he's not interested in a road bike so iv given up trying to suggest one! i was convinced a carbon fork was they way to go, iv never ridden anything on the road without one but the shop he spoke to are very good and reputable so I said id ask around for him. the weight issue aswel i thought sounded a bit odd, i knew some wheels have a weight limit but I expected a carbon fork to be ok.

thanks for the advice anyway I'k speak to him tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have done my 90km round trip commute on a hybrid with alloy forks without a problem. The tyres are 28mm so they dont suffer from road buzz as much as 23mm tyres. At this level carbon forks would be overkill, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've carbon forks on one bike and alloy on the other ~ tbh in a blind test I really couldn't tell the difference, I weight 110kgs.

I've also got a hybrid which I've recently started to use, and honestly I can see the attraction some would have to the hybrid over the road bike (for commuting). I find it far more versatile, but much slower.

If carbon forks were available for the same price as the alloy I'd go with the carbon purely because I'd feel like I'm getting a better deal and nothing else (I'm still thinking in purely commuter bike terms).

Again as a commuter I'd rather put a few quid extra towards puncture resistant tyres and know I'd getting to work relatively hassle free.

Advertisement