Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis - questions

Options
  • 06-01-2015 10:41pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

After starting a masters in IT via distance learning in 2011, and deferring a year, I've now completed the first two and am in my final year, most of which involves the writing of a thesis/dissertation.

I know my supervisor from another module, and while she can be tough am pleased it's her.

I'm literally at the point of submitting my topic, so right at the beginning, and have a few questions if people don't mind. (Most probably sound quite idiotic)

1. I've a couple of peers who have done the same masters, and have never seen a thesis. Is it worth contacting them to ask if I can read theirs so I get a feel for it?
    2. Is a thesis really just an incredibly long regular assignment? Most of mine were 2500, so if I look on it as one six times that long it means I can break it down.
    3. I've three potential topics, so I'm going to submit the whole lot as my supervisor has said we can hone it down, all three are interrelated so submitting them all means (I hope) we can come up with a topic that I'll cope with, I'm interested in all three areas.
    4. Can a thesis include surveys done with ones peers (e.g. professionals on a related group on Linkedin?) One challenge I've had with this masters is that it is 100% intertwined with what I do every day, so much so that my professional qualifications meant I was exempt from 33% of the modules in year one and two as they were classed as more credits than the modules.

I'm currently on the equivalent of a 2.1 over the past two years (they use a different system of distinction, merit etc) and am keen to do well with the thesis as it is at least 50% of the overall award.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Stheno wrote: »
    1. I've a couple of peers who have done the same masters, and have never seen a thesis. Is it worth contacting them to ask if I can read theirs so I get a feel for it?

While there is no issue at all doing that, a more "correct" (read: academically sound) way would be to read some literature in journals in the area to really get a feel for the area.
    2. Is a thesis really just an incredibly long regular assignment? Most of mine were 2500, so if I look on it as one six times that long it means I can break it down.
    While technically, yes, it is a larger assessment, I would suggest thinking of it a different way - a document that details your thought process and develops your argument on your topic. But as you say, yes, it does have distinct sections and it does help to break it down.
    3. I've three potential topics, so I'm going to submit the whole lot as my supervisor has said we can hone it down, all three are interrelated so submitting them all means (I hope) we can come up with a topic that I'll cope with, I'm interested in all three areas.
    The process of deciding on a topic is always going to be a negotiation. So throwing out three topics is not a bad way to do it, but one thing you should do is have an opinion. Go to your supervisor with the general "here's what I am thinking, but here's what I think I should do, and here's why".

Your document will be your "defense" of your thought process, so if you can be somewhat opinionated, and, I stress, knowedgable, on the topic, that will help.
    4. Can a thesis include surveys done with ones peers (e.g. professionals on a related group on Linkedin?) One challenge I've had with this masters is that it is 100% intertwined with what I do every day, so much so that my professional qualifications meant I was exempt from 33% of the modules in year one and two as they were classed as more credits than the modules.
    Most certainly, as long as it is done correctly. As in, as long as the methodology is sound.

Let me give you an example. Recently, a work colleague sent out a survey on a particular topic to staff and students (I work in a college). She got back the results, and they were glowing. Everybody was in favour of what she was doing. What she didn't realise was that her survey was susceptible to self-selection bias - only those with an interest in the subject were likely (statistically) to respond, therefore the results were always going to be quite positive.

So as long as your survey (or any data gathering) is methodologically sound, then yes, the results can be in your thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Does your college not have guidelines on the structure and content of dissertations/theses?

I know when I did mine last year, I was given a document that detailed exactly what should in it, and how it should be structured. It's not just "pick a topic and write 20,000 words on it".

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mis

Hi,

I am at the final stage of my MSc thesis now, I would definitely recommend looking at thesis. Most College libraries have copies of old ones or try DART- Europe E-theses portal, it has a lot of thesis online which can be helpful for finding formatting and direction when writing.

If you break the thesis down to the individual chapters it makes it easier, usually its something like an introduction, literature review, methods/methodology, findings, discussion. Depending on your background and college guidelines.

If you are thinking of interviewing peers make sure you mention it to your supervisor when your discussing your topics as she may feel that the type of method that you want to use might suit one topic more than another.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

mis wrote: »
    Most College libraries have copies of old ones or try DART- Europe E-theses portal, it has a lot of thesis online which can be helpful for finding formatting and direction when writing.

It's worth noting that certain courses may put an embargo on library release of theses submitted if any of the content may result in generation of intellectual property or similar. So while the library would be first port of call for any thesis, your course head may have copies of past theses submitted for that course.

Most course directors / supervisors would suggest you should read (good) previous theses to get an idea of what's expected.

Advertisement