Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent bouncing back

Options
  • 06-01-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I pay my rent each month by standing order with no issues at all until this month. It bounced back to me which is very strange. So i sent it manually and it came back again. I then tried my other bank account and the same happened.

Tried to contact my landlord but hes away at the moment.

Any reasons for this to happen??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Normally happens when the account is either blocked or closed. Get your landlord to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Just googled his name and found out he died on 10th December..He had no agency so we have no contact details..Kind of left in limbo i guess...Anyone any suggestions? Just wait and dont spend rent money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Just googled his name and found out he died on 10th December..He had no agency so we have no contact details..Kind of left in limbo i guess...Anyone any suggestions? Just wait and dont spend rent money?

Yup! If he died a month ago, someone has already informed the bank and is likely looking after his entire estate. They'll likely be in touch with you by letter at some point soonish.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If someone dies the account is blocked until the bank is told what to do with it by whoever is looking after the estate. It's a given not to spend the rent money, but if you haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks, what you could do is contact your landlord's branch. They won't be able to give you any info on the account, however they may be able to get in touch with whoever is managing the estate and let them know that the tennant has been trying to pay the rent but that it's bouncing back because the account is blocked. It might speed up the contact with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

lpool2k05 wrote: »

Does the death notice indicate next of kin? or give you enough information to try to locate the next of kin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Smart banks read the death notices every day, and freeze the accounts of people who have died.

Look him up on rip.ie, and start following up leads from the death notice 'til you find out who is dealing with the estate.

Be sensitive. But make sure that whoever you start paying the rent to actually has legal authority to receive it - it's likely that no one does at present. If necessary, open a 2nd bank account and put the regular payments into that - use them to cover any maintenance in the meantime, too. Keep receipts for the latter.

Advertisement