Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change in baby's nappies (poos!)

Options
  • 07-01-2015 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My babs poo regime has changed significantly since 11 wks ie went from multiple yellow grainy poos to get only one in 3-4 days for next 2 wks and this week and one evrry nite at same time. But they are seriously messy and runny and go everywhere! Initially it seemed as 3 days worth at a time so we braced ourselves for "the 4th day" which is now nightly and epic! Anyone else have this....or Their babies at least! :-)
    He is 14 wks and 90% bf. No change in feeding bar a new carton of Aptimel for top up nite bottle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Heya! It's been a long time since I had a newborn of my own but I do childmind a wee baby now. He's 6 months and I've had him since he was 3 months.

Basically, what goes in will change what comes out. The Aptimel is causing the change in the poos, if he wasn't pooing for 3-4 days then the Aptimel was probably making him a bit constipated and he's now adjusted. At this stage runny explodo-poos are pretty normal. Not pooing for 3-4 days several times in a row isn't so normal, and if it happens again keep a diary of his nappies and ask again for advice. The first recommendation will probably be to give him some plain boiled and cooled water in a bottle.

You have so much to look forward to as you start weaning him, every nappy will be unique and a totally new experience and you'll find yourself completely obsessed with poo!

I particularly enjoyed serving my wee charge green beans for the first time then handing him over to his parents, as revenge for having to change several brown bean nappies in one day.

Best of luck. x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If he's an otherwise happy, content little baby who isn't distressed and whose fontenelle isn't sunken then it's most likely the aptamil. You could try changing to another fornula to see if he has the same reaction but it probably made him constipated initially.

However, if in doubt speak to your phn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Heya! It's been a long time since I had a newborn of my own but I do childmind a wee baby now. He's 6 months and I've had him since he was 3 months.

Basically, what goes in will change what comes out. The Aptimel is causing the change in the poos, if he wasn't pooing for 3-4 days then the Aptimel was probably making him a bit constipated and he's now adjusted. At this stage runny explodo-poos are pretty normal. Not pooing for 3-4 days several times in a row isn't so normal, and if it happens again keep a diary of his nappies and ask again for advice. The first recommendation will probably be to give him some plain boiled and cooled water in a bottle.

You have so much to look forward to as you start weaning him, every nappy will be unique and a totally new experience and you'll find yourself completely obsessed with poo!

I particularly enjoyed serving my wee charge green beans for the first time then handing him over to his parents, as revenge for having to change several brown bean nappies in one day.

Best of luck. x

Not having a dirty nappy for 3-4 days or more is perfectly normal for a breastfed baby. Assuming of course they're not showing any signs of discomfort or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Ok. Was just going by my own 3 exclusively breastfed babies and the dual feed one I have care of now, none of whom have ever gone for much more than a day without a poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

He's been on Aptimel since 2 wks on for supplementary bottle. The reduced ( in frequency only not volume!!) poos started at 11 wks but I read that it an be normal. I bought a new tin of Aptimel and maybe it's just coincidence that the poos are now once/nightly and during the bottle feed. Either way since 11 wks the poos are extremely messy and nearly a 2 person job!! No change in diet otherwise.

• Advertisement

73trix wrote: »
    He's been on Aptimel since 2 wks on for supplementary bottle. The reduced ( in frequency only not volume!!) poos started at 11 wks but I read that it an be normal. I bought a new tin of Aptimel and maybe it's just coincidence that the poos are now once/nightly and during the bottle feed. Either way since 11 wks the poos are extremely messy and nearly a 2 person job!! No change in diet otherwise.

If he doesn't seem uncomfortable with wind or when passing I wouldn't worry. Keep outfit changes handy :) as how strange said if you're really concerned phone your phn.

Ok. Was just going by my own 3 exclusively breastfed babies and the dual feed one I have care of now, none of whom have ever gone for much more than a day without a poo.

Of course it's not every breastfed child who reacts that way but apparently it's common enough. My own went a week or more at a time but was always happy and phn assured it's no cause for concern. She defo made up for it when solids came though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Tip for dealing with massive poos: My fella is 4 months and has wonderful exploding poos. I was washing lots of pooey clothes. Before Christmas I started using cloth nappies (mainly for cost savings) and they have contained the explosions every time. Not one leak. It is a major reason that I'm sticking with them. We put him back in disposables for a couple of days recently to use up the end of a packet that he would out grow soon and got a leak evey day. As I was washing lots of pooey clothes anyway it hasn't been much more to wash the nappies. I use flip covers and their stay-dry inserts. Double up the inserts at night and he is ok from 9pm to 6am, even with a massive poo some mornings. I've heard that some people just use the outer covers over disposable nappies at night to contain leaks so that might help.

Advertisement