Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant colds!

Options
  • 07-01-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all,

This winter has been a terrible one for me and catching colds, and I can't figure out why I keep catching them.

I work indoors, I get a good sleep most nights (av 7 hours), I eat pretty well (very little junk food, hitting 5 portions of fruit and veg a day plus a vit c tablet and a multi vitamin), at least 2 litres of water a day.

I train at least 5 times a week, wearing thermals when its cold. I think it could be something to do with sweat drying when I get into the gym to do stretching/ core work. Other than that I'm lost as to whats causing it.

Anyone else goign through anything similar?

Cheers,
    Paul
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Gleedog wrote: »
    Hi all,

This winter has been a terrible one for me and catching colds, and I can't figure out why I keep catching them.

I work indoors, I get a good sleep most nights (av 7 hours), I eat pretty well (very little junk food, hitting 5 portions of fruit and veg a day plus a vit c tablet and a multi vitamin), at least 2 litres of water a day.

I train at least 5 times a week, wearing thermals when its cold. I think it could be something to do with sweat drying when I get into the gym to do stretching/ core work. Other than that I'm lost as to whats causing it.

Anyone else goign through anything similar?

Cheers,
    Paul

Yes, I have had a disastrous winter. It's incredibly frustrating!

It's nothing to do with heat or cold. It's to do with germs. You want to avoid getting germs on your hands and if you do get them you want to prevent them from infecting you. Repeated hand washing helps. Avoid touch your eyes or mouth with your hands. If you want to get a little obsessive you can open doors with elbows and generally avoid touching things. Mostly it's just better hygiene. I find that Echinacea helps a bit too but YMMV.

What is more difficult to legislate for is somebody spluttering all over you or poor hygiene on the part of staff in shops/restaurants and then there's children. I have a 4 year old who picks up everything in school and passes it on at home. I'm hoping that he's picked up everything in the first three months of school because it's going to be another while before we can persuade him to consistently practice good hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I train at least 5 times a week

Ease off the training for a week or two and allow your body to clear the cold and recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gleedog

The thing about germs makes sense. I'm at a desk all day and I don't think the surfaces are ever wiped down. Will try it out, hopefully it helps.

With regards to training easier-I've taken time out in December to try and get everything back in line, but I still picked up a cold at the start of this week.

I also noticed that after drinking beer/vodka my immune system crashes a bit so I'm going to stay away from drinking and see if that improves things too.

Anyone else notice alcohol doing the same to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The thing about germs makes sense. I'm at a desk all day and I don't think the surfaces are ever wiped down. Will try it out, hopefully it helps.

With regards to training easier-I've taken time out in December to try and get everything back in line, but I still picked up a cold at the start of this week.

I also noticed that after drinking beer/vodka my immune system crashes a bit so I'm going to stay away from drinking and see if that improves things too.

Alcohol in excess definitely depresses the immune system. I have had a bad winter myself. I caught a number of minor colds and then last week got a serious chest infection/flu that required antibiotics. Local Doctor said she has never seen a winter as bad for young healthy people getting colds/flu. The wet mild weather conditions are probably a factor. Its annoying, I missed 18 days training in 2014 and have already missed all 7 in 2015. Hand washing is probably a help but germs are unavoidable, you cant avoid all surfaces, money etc. There is a nasal spray that Im told is very effective if used in the very early stages of the virus. I have never used it myself and cant recall its name but your pharmacist will tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What strength is the Vit C tablet you are taking? I take 1000mg dissolved in water every morning. A couple of times I have felt something coming on I will double the dose for a few days and also take echinacea. Vit C is very safe to take in large doses.

Have managed to keep colds at bay or anything more than a sniffle doing this.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't want to start into the nasal sprays and things like that, heard of things like sense of smell being messed up from things like that (nothing official but thats just what I've heard over the years).

1000mg seems like a lot! Normal RDA is 80mg no? The ones I take only have 80 plus the vit c in the multivitamin of 80 so 160mg a day, plus normal food intake of vit c. Surely that should be enough?

Never heard of echinacea, will look it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I have made a spreadsheet to monitor this. I have been using it on and off for about 2 years. When I am using it I get good consistent training in. Someone else on here uses it and found it beneficial also.

To make your own one. Create a spreadsheet in goolge docs and copy this sheet below into it.

Link:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aGscq9dJ5n10Q1pcL02_I_zG8c1TMFAV3TBYqHUAlVg/edit#gid=1319027149

You need to check your resting HR and weight daily with it. weight is not used in score calculation but a drastic gain or drop can be a bad thing e.g. you could be dehydrated.

This is by no means tried and tested science but I am just saying it works for me. Resting HR can be taken daily with a phone app or pulse oximeter which are cheap on ebay.

If a total score of under 70 is received by the questions it asks then I take a rest day. The number will be red. If its green then I am good. Orange means that I need to monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I wouldn't want to start into the nasal sprays and things like that, heard of things like sense of smell being messed up from things like that (nothing official but thats just what I've heard over the years).

1000mg seems like a lot! Normal RDA is 80mg no? The ones I take only have 80 plus the vit c in the multivitamin of 80 so 160mg a day, plus normal food intake of vit c. Surely that should be enough?

Never heard of echinacea, will look it up!

RDA's are based on the amount of something needed to prevent disease and is really a quite outdated measurement. SONA's are a lot more relevant and are associated with what is required for optimal health. This recommends between 750 & 1500mg for Vitamin C.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Another possible issue , if you keep getting colds , is that your immune system is a little off what it should be . Diet is crucial , and whilst we all think we have a great diet , in reality if you diary everything , you will find usually a lack of some vital nutrients required for the more energetic training schedules ...You could do worse than buying a product called Udos Super 8s, which you will find in the Fridge of any good health store. A months supply is approx €22 ...they are probiotics that boost your immunity level and will give you the kick that may well help avoiding some of these infections and germs .

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

howdy:

could be a lot of things going on here:

- training too hard and not letting your body recover enough, so immune system constantly battling to catch up.
    - is your diet/sleep really as good as you think? personally, when I do a bit more honest checking, I find that you look at the good stuff and ignore the bad stuff
    - Sleep - do you sleep well every night? do you get 4 - 5 good nights sleep and then go on the lash Friday Saturday? personally - at 38yrs one late night completely knocks me for a few days so I try and keep it to a minimum
    - stress - do you have lots of stress in work/personal life - again for me - work stress, redeye flights etc always knock me back
    - booze - excess will defo compromise the immune system - associated late night also
    - have you considered that maybe its not a cold? could it be an allergy or intolerance? gluten, wheat etc? maybe its the grain in beer/vodka that is the issue and its not actually a cold you experience??

sorry getting a bit rambling now!

• Advertisement

All of the messages are really helpful , thanks!

I'm going to try and use that recovery spreadsheet. Generally though, with things like that its hard to keep on top of it, a few days missed can easily turn to weeks from previous experience, but I'll try keep on top of it. Thanks for that Rom. Looks pretty similar to restwise, they mightn't like you spreading the good news that you can do it without their help :)

I'll have a closer look at what I'm eating, but the only 'junk' I'd eat is a few squares of chocolate in the evening after dinner. Would start off with weetabix with banana and berries, snack on 2-3 jaffas + apple before tea break, generally a tuna and tomato bagel/sandwhich around 10:30, some yogurt & crackers before 1pm, good dinner at 2pm, generally wouldn't eat again until after training (around 7pm) so that'd be scrambled egg. Tea and choc after dinner then some cereal (rice crispies, granola) before bed. Try to stick to this at weekends too but would maybe have an extra sandwhich with a bag of crisps then.

And I'd only be drinking maybe once a month, and late nights are kept to a minimum.

Didn't realise there's so much to take into consideration with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

All of the messages are really helpful , thanks!

I'm going to try and use that recovery spreadsheet. Generally though, with things like that its hard to keep on top of it, a few days missed can easily turn to weeks from previous experience, but I'll try keep on top of it. Thanks for that Rom. Looks pretty similar to restwise, they mightn't like you spreading the good news that you can do it without their help :)

I'll have a closer look at what I'm eating, but the only 'junk' I'd eat is a few squares of chocolate in the evening after dinner. Would start off with weetabix with banana and berries, snack on 2-3 jaffas + apple before tea break, generally a tuna and tomato bagel/sandwhich around 10:30, some yogurt & crackers before 1pm, good dinner at 2pm, generally wouldn't eat again until after training (around 7pm) so that'd be scrambled egg. Tea and choc after dinner then some cereal (rice crispies, granola) before bed. Try to stick to this at weekends too but would maybe have an extra sandwhich with a bag of crisps then.

And I'd only be drinking maybe once a month, and late nights are kept to a minimum.

Didn't realise there's so much to take into consideration with this!

...oh yeah..vit C plus zinc apparently is better than plain vit c - I try and double the RDA as I believe you need to super boost to get any benefit

I heard a doc on the radio recently pretty much debunk the vit Ctheory..however she did say that atheletes like distance runners who train a lot would benefit from vit C more than the general population.

I try and take 2000 - 3000 mg vit C a day both in tab and soluble if I think of it - I think anything less is a waste
    Vit B helps with energy too and I also try and take vit D to maximise benefits of both

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

Don't forget to keep an eye on the simple stuff...

If you're finishing up in a gym to do your stretches then why not have a change of t-shirt/top before doing them. You will warm up much quicker with a dry top than sweaty/cold clothes. I've taken to bringing old race t-shirts to training/races and changing my base layer for the cool-down. I have found this really helps energy levels and comfort. I will change the base layer even if I am putting on a jacket.

Do you shower and then walk back out into the Irish winter with wet hair? No harm in being overdressed after a workout, even the car takes 10 mins to heat up. If you're cycling then it is another work-out.

When you eat is just as important as what you eat. You can do the right thing and go home where you can prepare a proper meal, but you probably need something in the 15-20 minute window after a work out. A banana is great to get you through to a meal. if you not eating anything for 2 hours afterwards then you're at the risk of being run down.

Is there a potential source? I know one lad in work with me who is gets every cold from September to March each yet. Unfortunately it means lunch with him is best avoided during race build up.

PVincent wrote: »
    Another possible issue , if you keep getting colds , is that your immune system is a little off what it should be . Diet is crucial , and whilst we all think we have a great diet , in reality if you diary everything , you will find usually a lack of some vital nutrients required for the more energetic training schedules ...You could do worse than buying a product called Udos Super 8s, which you will find in the Fridge of any good health store. A months supply is approx €22 ...they are probiotics that boost your immunity level and will give you the kick that may well help avoiding some of these infections and germs .

I take these also and I find them great. They are expensive alright. Only take them over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Your immune system doesn't need to be depressed for the virus to spread. Complete myth that. Infect someones nasal cavity with a cold virus and good or bad immune response the vast majority of them will become infected.

This advice has already been given but avoid people showing symptoms like the plague, stop touching your face and wash your hands regularly. You'll cut down the infections. There's still variation though so you're probably just having a bad run. Viruses are good at what they do after all.

I'd take issue with the supplement talk too to be frank. Complete overkill. If you're lucky you're pissing the 1000mg of Vitamin C out of you. Some broccoli, sprouts and an orange will more than suffice. Come to think of it the fruits and veggies you're eating are sufficient on all fronts. No need for multi vitamins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I think it could be something to do with sweat drying when I get into the gym to do stretching/ core work.

Towel down beforehand. I find when I dont towel down/shower staright after a run I pick up something the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Disastrous winter for me also, have had 5 chest infections since September. Been free from anything the last 6weeks, really making the effort not to be cold or spend too long in sweaty clothes after runs etc, but maybe by now I've built up an immunity to whatever is going around. I keep meaning to get the flu jab, free in most pharmacies. Anyone see any improvement after getting it?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Disastrous winter for me also, have had 5 chest infections since September. Been free from anything the last 6weeks, really making the effort not to be cold or spend too long in sweaty clothes after runs etc, but maybe by now I've built up an immunity to whatever is going around. I keep meaning to get the flu jab, free in most pharmacies. Anyone see any improvement after getting it?

The flu jab is pretty good at stopping the three or four strains of flu that it vaccinates against but doesn't do anything for any of the other viruses that you may pick up.

Timmaay wrote: »

I got it a few years back. I still got sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I find I get run down easily as well. I get a lot of mouth ulcers. I think you should get your bloods checked at least once a year. I got mine done recently and I was low in iron, something runners are often diagnosed with. It is tricky as you could have lots of iron in your diet but it may not be absorbed because you are lacking something else. I take L lysine now and it heals up the mouth ulcers much quicker. It also helps to absorb iron.
    Generally though you can't beat lots of good quality sleep. I find I need upto 10 hrs sometimes to get a proper boost.

• Advertisement

Turns out that temperature does actually have an influence on the likelihood of you picking up a cold.

Time to start wearing one of these I think:

176px-1930s_gas_mask.jpg

My work colleague always has a wee heater on the whole time, plus the normal heat from the radiator, which has led me to having to open the window a little just to get some fresh air into the room. We actually have gas masks here, might turn to wearing one of them if I keep getting these colds after taking some of these steps!

I was thinking of going to a nutritionist who would look at bloods too, but then again, it depends on who you go to and their personal opinion on things. Like the guy who takes 1000mg of vit c a day, to me that seems excessive, but I was in Holland&Barrett and this looks like a normal option. Between that and 500mg. But surely our bodies can only absorb a certain amount of it before it just pisses it away/starts to cause harm?

Will get the bloods done when I get a chance though. Maybe I'm missing something glaringly obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

recommended intake for adult men is 90 mg
    http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-Consumer/

Vit C is water soluble so if you take too much you just pee it out. It's not generally considered to be dangerous (although there are warnings about stomach cramps) to take large amounts. There was a story put about that large doses of Vit C helped prevent colds. I'm pretty sure that this was proven to be incorrect though. The jury is out on echinacea. It does help me so I take it when I remember.

It is considered to be bad/dangerous to take large amounts of most vitamins and minerals though. Vitamin A is fat soluble and some early polar explorers died from eating the livers of polar bears which contain large quantities of Vitamin A. Someone mentioned zinc earlier and apparently your zinc requirements can increase when you have a cold. It works as an antagonist though so you have to be careful. In the end I don't think that supplementation is generally a good idea without good reason.

TL:DR - Don't swallow vitamins, eat real food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

A doctor on the radio yesterday said that vitamin c won't prevent colds but it does help relieve symptoms when you have a cold.

On a separate note, I never used to get colds when I smoked 20 a day and didn't exercise. I get colds quite frequently now however.

Aye its strange that when people are unhealthy like that they never seem to get sick..until its something very serious.

Take one of my friends. Drinks quite often, smokes a bit, rarely eats veg or fruit, barely eats anything not processed and is never sick.

Makes ya wonder :D

is this just for cyclists???

If not then I'd like to offer, I swim a mile 3 days a week and weight train etc.
    I planned on catching up on loads of training over the two week break at xmas. the week before I caught a crappy flu type thing that had me bed ridden for the whole weekend Dec 6 and 7th. the following week though ok to work, still feeling the affects so didn't train. then went back on Monday for a mile swim Dec 15th, then again next day, felt a Sh!t throat on me and couldn't shake neither it nor the crappy cold I then had until over the xmas.
    Bottom line was I didn't take long enough and it cost me. Flying again now but defo think this year is shocking for bugs etc. I take freezing cold showers everyday and have excellent immune system I think, haven't had a flu in nearly ten years, colds yes no flu's but this year alas, the whole office were dyin and I gets the worst of it on the weekend. well at least I could sleep.

rusty cole wrote: »
    is this just for cyclists???

If not then I'd like to offer, I swim a mile 3 days a week and weight train etc.
    I planned on catching up on loads of training over the two week break at xmas. the week before I caught a crappy flu type thing that had me bed ridden for the whole weekend Dec 6 and 7th. the following week though ok to work, still feeling the affects so didn't train. then went back on Monday for a mile swim Dec 15th, then again next day, felt a Sh!t throat on me and couldn't shake neither it nor the crappy cold I then had until over the xmas.
    Bottom line was I didn't take long enough and it cost me. Flying again now but defo think this year is shocking for bugs etc. I take freezing cold showers everyday and have excellent immune system I think, haven't had a flu in nearly ten years, colds yes no flu's but this year alas, the whole office were dyin and I gets the worst of it on the weekend. well at least I could sleep.

Not cyclists, runners ;)

Sounds like you've had a pretty rough time of it the last month. Did you go to the doctor with it or just put it down that it was a flu? Could have been a bad virus?
    Don't know how anyone handles cold showers, can't stand them!

Not cyclists, runners ;)

Sounds like you've had a pretty rough time of it the last month. Did you go to the doctor with it or just put it down that it was a flu? Could have been a bad virus?
    Don't know how anyone handles cold showers, can't stand them!

MY wifes best friend was out of work with it, a "Virus" according to her GP! when the other half went over to visit her, chicken soup and all that. She picked it up, same symptoms etc, then passed it on to me. Of course I ended up only bed riddin for 2 days because I'm a man and there was obviously kryptonite in the house at that stage...;)

Yes it was just a stubborn Virus. you get used to cold showere believe it or not, like most similar things, the anticipation is worse than the act!! abit like masturbating I suppose!! ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Aye its strange that when people are unhealthy like that they never seem to get sick..until its something very serious.

Take one of my friends. Drinks quite often, smokes a bit, rarely eats veg or fruit, barely eats anything not processed and is never sick.

Makes ya wonder :D

Symptoms are due mainly to the body's response to the infection not the destructive damage of the virus. Asymptomatic carriers can be sick but not manifest symptoms. ie body chooses to tolerate the infection.

I'm not sure but maybe manifesting strong symptoms is a sign of good immune response. I've always looked at it that way anyway.

Your friend's system is probably broken.;)
    Clearlier wrote: »
    Turns out that temperature does actually have an influence on the likelihood of you picking up a cold.

Time to start wearing one of these I think:

176px-1930s_gas_mask.jpg

I think the article is misrepresenting the study (drawing their own conclusions) but the funny thing is by the logic of the study you could be absolutely shivering in the nip but once you've a warm nose.... you're good! The mask is overkill though.:pac:

Advertisement