Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a new product line to an eCommerce store

Options
  • 07-01-2015 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I have heard it said a few times and also seen it in practice that before purchasing stock for a new line to be added to an eCommerce site, it is best to add the product to the site first in order to prove a market exists.

In practice though, what happens when orders are placed?

Do you simply refund the customer and apologise that the product is unfortunately out of stock...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

if you do that, I for one would never come back to your site. Buy 1 and then give delivery date once it is sold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

That is exactly my fear. To me it would appear unprofessional, just wanted to find out what others did in this circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Have never done that. If you have an active social media page what you can do is put it on there and look for feedback from customers. We often post pictures of things that are coming soon gives you an idea of which things are more appealing to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

You can purchase the 1-5 of the product from another seller and ship them to your customers when they are ordered.. you'll have to take a hit on the costs , start small!!! no need to get containers!

If its a custom made product, then you bide your time by saying it has to be custom built

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Meritor

I would go for the coming soon idea (as suggested by jimmii) both on social media and on website landing page highlighting the product.
    When customer clicks on it the product page, you may used any of the below
    1) "Pre order" - with details of terms and condition
    2) "Add to Wish List" or "Watch"
    3) "No in Stock" or "Coming Soon" - This may not help you find demand for the product. You may use buttons of above approach along with this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement