Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian tax refund issue!

Options
  • 07-01-2015 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I lived in Canada from mid 2013 to October 2014. I did my tax return, didn't lie on any of it and got a tax refund of about 2k.

Yesterday, the CRA sent out a letter saying that I owe them 2k because of a reassessment? Anyone got any idea what that is about?

I want to go back there so I want to sort it out but it's a bit difficult from here and why would they assess my claim, send me that refund and then ask for it back 8 months later? Makes no sense!!!

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I lived in Canada from mid 2013 to October 2014. I did my tax return, didn't lie on any of it and got a tax refund of about 2k.

Yesterday, the CRA sent out a letter saying that I owe them 2k because of a reassessment? Anyone got any idea what that is about?

I want to go back there so I want to sort it out but it's a bit difficult from here and why would they assess my claim, send me that refund and then ask for it back 8 months later? Makes no sense!!!

Cheers for any help!

Yeah we got reassessed too
    Had to pay back 500 bucks between me and my wife
    I guess they just grant refunds and then spend the year doing an in-depth assessment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Yeah we got reassessed too
    Had to pay back 500 bucks between me and my wife
    I guess they just grant refunds and then spend the year doing an in-depth assessment

Was that in yere first year of working in Canada?

Nevermind. I figured it out. My employer never added my SIN to the T4. :/ It's sorted. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ellenellen

Just going to jump in on this this thread with another tax question... I've been here since October and been temping steadily since then. I know it's not a legal obligation to file my taxes on the first year of a working holiday visa so I'm just wondering if it's worth my while? Like I said I've been temping but haven't earned a huge amount and the jobs have been through a few agencies so I've had various employers which might make things more complicated.

If I was to do it next year would I be eligible to get a refund (if I'm entitled to it) for 2014 in a similar way you can claim tax back in Ireland for up to four years?

I haven't really looked into the process of this at all and have no idea what it entails, only that it's tricky enough, so any advice would be appreciated!

ellenellen wrote: »
    Just going to jump in on this this thread with another tax question... I've been here since October and been temping steadily since then. I know it's not a legal obligation to file my taxes on the first year of a working holiday visa so I'm just wondering if it's worth my while? Like I said I've been temping but haven't earned a huge amount and the jobs have been through a few agencies so I've had various employers which might make things more complicated.

If I was to do it next year would I be eligible to get a refund (if I'm entitled to it) for 2014 in a similar way you can claim tax back in Ireland for up to four years?

I haven't really looked into the process of this at all and have no idea what it entails, only that it's tricky enough, so any advice would be appreciated!

I filed them because even though I wasn't planning on staying, I did it just in case. I'm glad I did because there is a high possibility I'll be going back. So I recommend you file them! I think Ufile is the crowd I used and your first return is free. You just enter the fields from your T4 (Their equivalent of a P60), which are numbered, into their system and it does it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ellenellen

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I filed them because even though I wasn't planning on staying, I did it just in case. I'm glad I did because there is a high possibility I'll be going back. So I recommend you file them! I think Ufile is the crowd I used and your first return is free. You just enter the fields from your T4 (Their equivalent of a P60), which are numbered, into their system and it does it for you.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I think I will do it. No harm and hopefully might be able to claim a bit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Hey folks, bit of a tax issue myself here. Im just back after spending the last year in Canada. I was taxed pretty heavily and a number of friends said Im probably due a sizeable refund. The thing is Im back in Ireland now and have absolutely no idea where to even begin claiming tax back. Anyone and advice or sites I should start at or am i sh!t out of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You can do it yourself (i think) with netfile if you its a straightforward filing and you have all your docs - t4 etc.
    If its have a complicated filing (pension contributions, TFSAs, shares, multiple T docs etc.) then its probably better to use a company, like h&r block.

Avoid taxback.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Worth noting you're more likely to get audited doing it yourself so sometimes it's worth the extra few bob to have a proper accountant do it (they'll also find a lot more stuff to write off than you will)

Advertisement