Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bill scam

Options
  • 07-01-2015 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hello
    This morning my mother received a recorded phone call purporting to be from Eircom stating that her bill was overdue and requesting that she provide her card details to pay for same. She put down the phone immediately (we have her warned about phishing) but the phone kept ringing and each time she picked it up, the same recorded voice was playing. She was pretty upset when she called me. The call was from an 01 number and used her name and details of her account. Is this a scam?
    f

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

fifilarue wrote: »
    Hello
    This morning my mother received a recorded phone call purporting to be from Eircom stating that her bill was overdue and requesting that she provide her card details to pay for same. She put down the phone immediately (we have her warned about phishing) but the phone kept ringing and each time she picked it up, the same recorded voice was playing. She was pretty upset when she called me. The call was from an 01 number and used her name and details of her account. Is this a scam?
    f
    Hi fifilarue

It certainly sounds suspicious. If you could please PM me the number that called your mother including her land line number I will be happy to look further in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Hello
    f
    Hi fifilarue

It certainly sounds suspicious. If you could please PM me the number that called your mother including her land line number I will be happy to look further in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan
    Thanks for your prompt response. After I posted my query yesterday morning, I spotted a phone number for reporting scams on another thread and called it. It turns out that the call was legitimate and was told by the lady on the other end of the line that this is now the way Eircom are dealing with bills which have not been paid. I checked my mother's bill, which was delivered by An Post on Monday 5th January and the bill was due to be paid by 2nd January. I think it is absolutely disgraceful that Eircom would treat an elderly lady, who pays her bills regularly and on time, in this manner. She was and still is, very upset by the whole thing and will be making a complaint to Eircom. I am conscious that this is a public forum but would just like to point out that the bill in question is E69.21, E4.77 of which amounts to call charges and the remainder in Eircom charges and VAT. Needless to say, she will be considering her options with regard to a service provider.
    I will pm you both numbers if you wish to pursue/confirm this.
    Regards
    Fiona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Usual disgraceful behavior from Eircom/eMobile/Meteor.

Hope your mother finds a better provider, Fiona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hello
    f
    Hi fifilarue

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan
    Thanks for your prompt response. After I posted my query yesterday morning, I spotted a phone number for reporting scams on another thread and called it. It turns out that the call was legitimate and was told by the lady on the other end of the line that this is now the way Eircom are dealing with bills which have not been paid. I checked my mother's bill, which was delivered by An Post on Monday 5th January and the bill was due to be paid by 2nd January. I think it is absolutely disgraceful that Eircom would treat an elderly lady, who pays her bills regularly and on time, in this manner. She was and still is, very upset by the whole thing and will be making a complaint to Eircom. I am conscious that this is a public forum but would just like to point out that the bill in question is E69.21, E4.77 of which amounts to call charges and the remainder in Eircom charges and VAT. Needless to say, she will be considering her options with regard to a service provider.
    I will pm you both numbers if you wish to pursue/confirm this.
    Regards
    Fiona
    Hi fifilarue

yes definitely send on PM us with both numbers and we will look into this for you.
    It is unfortunate that bill arrived after payment date, leaving little time to pay this. I can absolutely understand that many people would be upset by this. Billing systems are unfortunately unable to identify personal factors, or customers likely to be more affected than others.
    We appreciate that your mother has been a long time customer and we will have this fully investigated.
    Our apologies for any stress caused.
    Please send on PM and we will follow up immediately.
    Tony 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Tony-have sent you on a pm there with information requested, which by the way I had also sent to Alan on Thursday last after he requested it. I still haven't heard anything back from him. More phone calls from this number on Saturday 10th. 
    Fiona 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Tony-have sent you on a pm there with information requested, which by the way I had also sent to Alan on Thursday last after he requested it. I still haven't heard anything back from him. More phone calls from this number on Saturday 10th. 
    Fiona 
    Blacklist the number fifilarue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Fiona 

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hello fifilarue

I have investigated this and I can confirm that this was indeed eircom. There is a bill outstanding and the call message was arranged to notify your mother of this. While the option to pay is offered by this call I can confirm it's not obligatory as your mother is welcome to pay by any other method.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] I understand that the method of which your mother was notified has created concern and disappointment and I will make sure your dissatisfaction & feedback is sent to our billing operations department. I would also like to convey my apologies for the inconvenience this has created for both your mother & yourself.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

Advertisement