Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican restaurant

Options
  • 07-01-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Guys someone knows a good Mexican restaurant here in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As per the stickied notice in Food & Drink - regional-specific thread should be posted in the relevant Region forum.

Moved to Dublin City.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

777 on George's Street in probably the best Mexican restaurant in Dublin. There's Acaploco, just across the street from it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I had lovely mole in Azteca a few weeks ago. Really, really good & authentic Mexican food but not a fancy place, more cafe style. 777 is gorgeous if expensive, never found the food in Acapulco to be any great shakes but haven't been in there in years

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Not an easy request in Dublin. If you are really itching for mouth-watering Mexican food, you might want to book that Aer Lingus direct flight to San Francisco. ;)

You might try La Sirena in Malahide which was pretty good and an excuse to head up the coast. I haven't tried 777 yet because I'm used to Mexican food never being overly expensive plus I'm hesitant to believe it will taste authentic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Boojum is good and inexpensive. Although it's like chipotle,which is fast casual rather than a restuarant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

ScottSF wrote: »
    You might try La Sirena in Malahide which was pretty good and an excuse to head up the coast. I haven't tried 777 yet because I'm used to Mexican food never being overly expensive plus I'm hesitant to believe it will taste authentic.

La sirenas gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

777 is the only decent place in town. It you aren't looking for a burrito or Tex Mex.

It is on the dear side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

777 is good, but way overpriced. More of a place to for a great night out with Margaritas etc as opposed to going specifically for the Mexican food experience. Haven't been to Cafe Azteca but have heard only good things about it. Stay away from anywhere that is known for burritos and quesadillas 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Plates wrote: »
    777 is good, but way overpriced. More of a place to for a great night out with Margaritas etc as opposed to going specifically for the Mexican food experience. Haven't been to Cafe Azteca but have heard only good things about it. Stay away from anywhere that is known for burritos and quesadillas 😊

Cafe Azteca is owned by a friend of a friend. I have only eaten there once but have had take out a couple of times - breakfast rolls, believe it or not (fabulous). The one time I ate there though wasn't a great experience - funny chicken. Would give it another shot mind, but wouldn't be going there for fancy dinner or anything, it's very basic inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Hungry Mexican behind Bodkins Bar on Bolton Street is really good. Their pulled pork and chorizo chimichanga is one of the best Mexican dishes I've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Clarie29

Thanks a lot Guys

I was looking at the 777 website and I agree the prices are expensive, but I think I will go there. Actually I want a good place and also fancy.

Thanks a million
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Clarie29 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Guys

I was looking at the 777 website and I agree the prices are expensive, but I think I will go there. Actually I want a good place and also fancy.

Thanks a million
    ;)

I think it does specials during the week. Like Sunday brunch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Hungry Mexican behind Bodkins Bar on Bolton Street is really good. Their pulled pork and chorizo chimichanga is one of the best Mexican dishes I've ever had.
    They have a great deal running till next Sunday 3 course meal for 2 including a Margarita for 44 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I think Cortinas restaurant is Dundrum is worth a mention... their guacamole is to die for!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

777 for Mexican, without a doubt. I had the pigs head carnitas there on Friday and they were just amazing.

777 doesn't do burritos or Tex-Mex, it's not that kind of Mexican. But IMO it's probably also one of the best kitchens in Dublin. Food is usually sublime there. Really good chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Clarie29 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Guys

Thanks a million
    ;)
    Just a heads-up (it doesn't bother me) but 777 is pretty hipster and can be very loud with music. IMHO totally worth it, one of my favourite places in town; but I see some people come in and are like :wtf:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Just a heads-up (it doesn't bother me) but 777 is pretty hipster and can be very loud with music. IMHO totally worth it, one of my favourite places in town; but I see some people come in and are like :wtf:

They don't take reservations for less than 6 people - so you could just stick your head in and have a look before deciding if you want to put your name down on the waiting list.

Aside from the food, it's great fun and the margaritas are excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Cafe Azteca is owned by a friend of a friend. I have only eaten there once but have had take out a couple of times - breakfast rolls, believe it or not (fabulous). The one time I ate there though wasn't a great experience - funny chicken. Would give it another shot mind, but wouldn't be going there for fancy dinner or anything, it's very basic inside.

I've been to Azteca for lunch a few times and can't rate it highly enough. Proper authentic mexican food made fresh when you order it. Lovely staff and a chilled out atmosphere.
    777 is a wonderful place, but I only go on Sundays, for their €7.77 deals.

I've been to Azteca for lunch a few times and can't rate it highly enough. Proper authentic mexican food made fresh when you order it. Lovely staff and a chilled out atmosphere.
    777 is a wonderful place, but I only go on Sundays, for their €7.77 deals.
    Their normal menu is way better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Their normal menu is way better though.

That's saying something then, cos the menu on Sundays ain't small, I'm usually overwhelmed at the choice, and am consistently impressed. And at 7.77 a dish.. not to be sniffed at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Locovkano

Boojum....very very cheap and you get stuffed :D

Locovkano wrote: »
    Boojum....very very cheap and you get stuffed :D
    A burrito bar isn't really a mexican restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That's saying something then, cos the menu on Sundays ain't small, I'm usually overwhelmed at the choice, and am consistently impressed. And at 7.77 a dish.. not to be sniffed at!

I'm a regular at 777 on Friday nights, but I was there on Sunday for the 7.77 brunch. The Sunday menu is packed with great little dishes (which are substantial enough) and which aren't really available on the regular menu. Thought it was a different (but still great) take on 777.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Kim Lardassian

I was in 777 for the first time today having heard great things and I was a bit disappointed. The food was nice but nothing special really and the music was crazy loud. The staff weren't very attentive and the whole 'vibe'just kinda annoyed me.

I looked up reviews on tripadvisor and it gets very mixed reviews. Apparently if you go during the week you have to order a main, it's the restaurants policy. I find that quite strange. You can't go in and order two starters, you have to order a main course. That's a bit arrogant really!

Apparently if you go during the week you have to order a main, it's the restaurants policy. I find that quite strange. You can't go in and order two starters, you have to order a main course. That's a bit arrogant really!

I have to say, that's never happened to me in there. I've eaten in 777 a few times and never actually ordered anything off the main courses list. Always been tacos or a mix of starters, often to share with the whole table

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Kim Lardassian

I have to say, that's never happened to me in there. I've eaten in 777 a few times and never actually ordered anything off the main courses list. Always been tacos or a mix of starters, often to share with the whole table

I'm glad to hear that. I read the bad reviews on tripadvisor (I love reading them!) and the prevailing complaint was that you had to order a main as part of their policy.

I'll defo give it another shot cos the food was nice. The music was crazy loud though. Maybe I'm just not hip enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

dudara wrote: »
    777 for Mexican, without a doubt. I had the pigs head carnitas

That Pigs head was just lovely.. First time there a few weeks back! Must try the Sunday!

That Pigs head was just lovely.. First time there a few weeks back! Must try the Sunday!
    It is amazing, but don't try to show off and just get the kitchen to carve it - you'll get miles more meat off of there than if you try yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

A place called Xico a mexican style cocktail bar on baggot street is opening sometime this month for food according to their website.

Anyone seen this place? I'll check it out next time I'm passing

http://xico.ie/

• Advertisement

Xico used to be the Baggot Inn, definitely will drop in to try it out but I kinda wonder with the location whether it's going to be any good or whether it'll be the same kind of thing the Baggot Inn was - a spot for people to get legless after work.

Advertisement