Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican restaurant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Seems like a strange place, Mexican, Tapas, Sports Bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Birneybau wrote: »
    Seems like a strange place, Mexican, Tapas, Sports Bar...

Throw enough mud and some'll stick, they hope? It annoys me about a lot of places in this town - why can't they concentrate on getting a couple of things right, instead of being all things to all men?
    I hope this is different - or it'll just be another rubbish place to avoid on a street full of rubbish places to avoid.
    I work and live nearby, so I'd love to see a good mexican restaurant here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

There's a brilliant Mexican/tapas/bar in London called Le Perla. Could be going for that sort of buzz.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Kim Lardassian

I wish they had a Wahaca here, there are a few in London. It's really great Mexican food, small dishes style but you get loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Not an easy request in Dublin. If you are really itching for mouth-watering Mexican food, you might want to book that Aer Lingus direct flight to San Francisco. ;

Or a flight to Mexico.

• Advertisement

To my knowledge there are very few authentic Mexican restaurants here in Ireland.

Many Irish peoples experience with Mexican is what they ate while on J1, burritos etc. A bit like saying you had Italian pizza in New York.

Cafe Azteca is one of the few places that I have seen that offers more than tacos, fajitas and burritos. These are nice but there is much more to Mexican food than this. Few Mexican restaurants in Dublin have Mexicans in the kitchen, unlike many other enthic food restaurants in Dublin where you would normally find Koreans working in a Korean restaurant etc.

Like Indian, Mexican food varies significantly from North to South. Most places in the US would have a more northern Mexican influence hence the Tex-Mex variations, you would almost never see fajitas or chilli con carne in a restaurant in Mexico, these are US fusion dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tapas in Ireland seems to be just an excuse to charge people €8-10 for a small dish of food. In Spain they're often free, if not they're always less than €3-5 a plate

Exactly

Tapas are a Spanish thing. Not Mexican at all, yet many place throw them together because sure "its all the same".

A place called Xico a mexican style cocktail bar on baggot street is opening sometime this month for food according to their website.

Anyone seen this place? I'll check it out next time I'm passing

http://xico.ie/

Anyone eaten here yet?
    I walked by and had a goo one afternoon - it was quite nicely laid out, but it was empty at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

So I was in Cortinas in Dundrum last night, having their usual fantastic pitchers of margaritas. They said Dundrum Town Centre had doubled their rent so they are closing in two weeks. I'm devastated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Mexican restaurant called 'The Black Ant' in the east village NYC that was superb.

Tribal Mexican cuisine with the likes of Tlayuda Con Chapulines, crispy, chilli-spiced grasshoppers on a toasted tortilla, with queso de rancho & avocado cream, on the menu.

They serve sweet-corn & tequila cocktail called Yum Kaax where the salt rim on the Margarita glasses actually comes from grated ants & Maguey worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Mexican restaurant called 'The Black Ant' in the east village NYC that was superb.

Tribal Mexican cuisine with the likes of Tlayuda Con Chapulines, crispy, chilli-spiced grasshoppers on a toasted tortilla, with queso de rancho & avocado cream, on the menu.

They serve sweet-corn & tequila cocktail called Yum Kaax where the salt rim on the Margarita glasses actually comes from grated ants & Maguey worms.
    Helpful map for anyone interested: https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Dublin/Black+Ant,+60+2nd+Avenue,+New+York,+NY+10003,+United+States/@40.3628941,-77.7946595,3z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x48670e80ea27ac2f:0xa00c7a9973171a0!2m2!1d-6.2603097!2d53.3498053!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25984a5f77579:0x6e1ae937b3cf18fb!2m2!1d-73.9892979!2d40.725716?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is 777 worth the money? I have only gone for cocktails and I really didn't think they were all that great so wondering if the food matches the buzz?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Lux23 wrote:
    Is 777 worth the money? I have only gone for cocktails and I really didn't think they were all that great so wondering if the food matches the buzz?

I would say yes, but that said, we always on Sundays for their €7.77 deal. Never been anything but delighted with the food and stuffed when leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Food in Xico's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would say yes, but that said, we always on Sundays for their €7.77 deal. Never been anything but delighted with the food and stuffed when leaving.

Might try that so.

Lux23 wrote: »

I love the food in 777 - I'm a vegetarian, and there isn't much choice for me, but what there is is just delicious.
    I find the staff friendly and warm, and the service is good.

BUT the music is just too loud for a restaurant. It didn't used to be so bad - it was loud, but that was part of the fun.
    Last time I was there with a few people, a group of 4, you could only talk to the person beside you, because it was too loud to have a conversation with the two people on the other side of the table, which is ridiculous.
    I'm fairly auld (39) but one of my dining companions was 29 and she thought it absurdly loud too. This was maybe 6 months ago.

I did go back about 4 months ago, and it was really loud, but there was only two of us, so we sat at the counter, and talked into each others earholes.

It's a little bit dear, but it's the mains that are the dear part really. We never get a main, just a like 2 small plates, a salad, and a side dish each, and split a dessert, and it's grand.
    The "ah shure we'll have another cocktail" conversation usually cause the bill to skyrocket though.

I did decide a while ago I won't be going back - there are loads of other places to eat where the food is just as good and the staff just as nice.

And you don't leave with tinnitus.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Might try that so.
    The food on the Sunday menu is not as good as their normal menu tbh.

OK, I've never been on Sunday, so my post is about regular non-Sunday days!

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Food in Xico's excellent.

Oooh, care to elaborate, John?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

quaalude wrote: »
    Oooh, care to elaborate, John?

It’s just lovely. Small, but numerous portions, bites and bits… Pork belly, crab, in gem lettuce with lots of seasoning and flavours. Check out the menu, you’ll get an idea. Very tasty, clever mix of ingredients. And it all “feels” quiet healthy.

It gets pretty loud as it gets later.

I’ve no doubt it’s nothing like Mexican food in Mexico but it never is, is it really? Sure it would be crap if we could get the EXACT same thing everywhere.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It’s just lovely. Small, but numerous portions, bites and bits… Pork belly, crab, in gem lettuce with lots of seasoning and flavours. Check out the menu, you’ll get an idea. Very tasty, clever mix of ingredients. And it all “feels” quiet healthy.

It gets pretty loud as it gets later.

I’ve no doubt it’s nothing like Mexican food in Mexico but it never is, is it really? Sure it would be crap if we could get the EXACT same thing everywhere.
    Both 777 and Xico are much more like standard real Mexican food from what I've experienced of the West/NW Mexico.

Dunno about that but anytime I've been, it's been on a sunday and the food has been nothing short of excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bill G wrote: »
    So I was in Cortinas in Dundrum last night, having their usual fantastic pitchers of margaritas. They said Dundrum Town Centre had doubled their rent so they are closing in two weeks. I'm devastated!

That's a shame. Was there a while ago and loved the fish taco starter. Would happily order them as a main

Dunno about that but anytime I've been, it's been on a sunday and the food has been nothing short of excellent.
    Go during the week then - I promise it's a way better menu. The quality is of course standard across every day, but the Sunday menu is more limited.

Go during the week then - I promise it's a way better menu. The quality is of course standard across every day, but the Sunday menu is more limited.

Ah I see what you mean. Yeah I imagine the choice is probably better midweek. That said I always get more than I need on the Sunday menu. All good though :)

Hey, any new Mexican restaurants opened in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭VonLuck

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hey, any new Mexican restaurants opened in the last year?

Not sure if it's in the last year but Taco Taco on Dame Court is supposed to be good. Haven't been myself so I can't vouch for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement