Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom extractor fan

Options
  • 07-01-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Right I've a timed extractor bathroom fan and a three pole switch I'm looking to wire up. The lights in the bathroom are four dimmable downlights with a tranny on each light.

How do I or can it be wired to work off the lights? The only permanent live in the vicinity of the bathroom is the one for the lights.

The fan won't work at the when the lights are on fully but will work but when the lights are off it works. Also when the lights are dimmed there's a trickle going to the fan and it works albeit slowly so there's juice in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ohmslaw

Its not a good idea to wire the fan from the output of a dimmer switch. You will risk burning out the dimmer switch and possibly the fan. The fan needs to be wired to a standard live and neutral with an additional control wire which is either at 220v or switched off. Your options are to replace the dimmer with a standard switch or find another method to control the fan eg I wired mine to the pull cord on the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Sorry for hijacking this thread but maybe relevent
    I've seen a few videos online bout how to clean these fans
    They all seem to pull down and are clipped on

Looking at mine Im not sure it just clips down so dont want to use much force-but maybe those of you who install/have cleaned these fans may have guidance

Any advice?
    Cant see any make/model on the cover

Advertisement