Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U Boat off Cork to be made safe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Jesus this sounds like a highly dangerous operation unless they were going to blow the whole lot.Id imagine this would have to be done with an unmanned rov.Do the Irish Navy have this gear I wonder.Should they be contacting the German Navy to assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I wonder did the Germans come over to check things out last March???.

Video here of the Luftwaffe at Cork Airport from March 2014.It dropped people off who headed to Cobh/Cork Harbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Some people have no respect.
    Divers have to cop on, chipping portholes off war graves is just mindless vandalism.
    Not just this U boat but lots of wrecks all around Ireland have been damaged this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭thomil

Getting the German Navy in would actually make quite a lot of sense. They do have a lot of experience, considering the amount of mines that have been cleared in the North Sea and Baltic since the war. That Luftwaffe Airbus was unrelated however. As far as I know it was in Cork to facilitate a Crew Exchange for the Gorch Fock, the Sail Training Vessel of the German Navy, which was moored in Cobh around that time last year.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Presumably, these are contact mines ?

Did they have magnetic influence mines in WW1 ?

Sounds like a sweaty palms job if the ordnance is close to a gas pipeline :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement