Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 LED floodlights in place of one halogen

Options
  • 07-01-2015 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

At the moment there is one halogen 250w PIR floodlight in the garden. I want to replace this with 3 separate pir LED floodlights one 10w, 20w and a 30w in different areas of the garden. Since that adds to a total of 60watts, am I right saying this would be ok on the original circuit as it all adds up to less that half the wattage of the original old unit?? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mark.. wrote: »
    At the moment there is one halogen 250w PIR floodlight in the garden. I want to replace this with 3 separate pir LED floodlights one 10w, 20w and a 30w in different areas of the garden. Since that adds to a total of 60watts, am I right saying this would be ok on the original circuit as it all adds up to less that half the wattage of the original old unit?? Thanks

If the existing halogen light is wired on a circuit that has sufficient capacity then the circuit will have capacity for the 3 LED lamps because the combined load is less.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

LED's are pricy. + I think you can't replace bulb, only the whole unit.
    ( I think? )

Therefore I perfer halogen for short on / off's
    Long useage, then LED are better.??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tom44 wrote: »
    LED's are pricy.

Not anymore.
    In addition running costs are far lower for a given light output.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mark..

2011 wrote: »
    If the existing halogen light is wired on a circuit that has sufficient capacity then the circuit will have capacity for the 3 LED lamps because the combined load is less.

Thats great thanks! ill go ahead and fit them then!

Tom44 wrote: »
    LED's are pricy. + I think you can't replace bulb, only the whole unit.
    ( I think? )

Therefore I perfer halogen for short on / off's
    Long useage, then LED are better.??

yes you have to change the whole unit if the LED goes, but there HR life expectancy is very long!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »

Interesting. 50 watt ones at 80 odd euro. Serious led power there by the look of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I have converted almost every light in the house to LED at this stage.

My experience of those LED floodlights is that they last about as long as the bulb in a standard Halogen light. But then the entire unit is buggered.

I bought ten, 10W LED floodlights about 2 years ago and as of now, eight have failed.

In all cases the driver (of very poor, & cheap construction) failed. The LED emitter and the housing was still OK.

So I replaced the original drivers with good quality encapsulated drivers appropriate to the emitters, and they have been AOK since.

TBH at this stage I just make my own LED lights. They are over-engineered but they are utterly reliable. I have made everything from 3W spots, to a 100W whopper that lights up the front of the house for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Tow

deandean wrote: »
    My experience of those LED floodlights is that they last about as long as the bulb in a standard Halogen light. But then the entire unit is buggered.

Many of the Ledvista models look like the standard Chinese models you can get direct from China (eBay/Aliexpress) for half the price. Big Clive has a series of videos on them: https://www.youtube.com/user/bigclivedotcom/videos
    Usual story of under rated/cheap drivers and earth leads just glued on, but as you said nice case if you want to build your own.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

deandean wrote: »
    I have converted almost every light in the house to LED at this stage.

I bought ten, 10W LED floodlights about 2 years ago and as of now, eight have failed.

In all cases the driver (of very poor, & cheap construction) failed. The LED emitter and the housing was still OK.

So I replaced the original drivers with good quality encapsulated drivers appropriate to the emitters, and they have been AOK since.

TBH at this stage I just make my own LED lights. They are over-engineered but they are utterly reliable. I have made everything from 3W spots, to a 100W whopper that lights up the front of the house for Christmas!

So was the problem damp getting into the drivers? Or did they just burn out from use?? It's a good thing replacement drivers are cheap enough. If your handy with a soldering iron it would probably ony be the led chip or that driver that goes!?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement