Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a 50km-60km route for a beginner

• 07-01-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A couple of pals of mine are taking up road cycling, mostly weekend spins with the odd summers evening spin. That's their plan anyway. I'm going out with them this weekend for what will be their first long(ish) spin of 50km to 60km. I usually traverse the Enniskerry area but for this spin I'd like something which:-

- Is fairly flat (500m over the whole spin and nothing too steep)
    - Has as few traffic lights as possible
    - Has low traffic / good safe roads
    - Has somewhere for a nice coffee at the half way point

We'll be starting from the Leopardtown roundabout.

My instinct is to keep to the East coast but I'd like to avoid the N11 is at all possible. An alternative might be to head out through Rathfarnham and west for 25km, stop for a coffee somewhere and back.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I don't know the area at all but you could have a play around with Map my ride. Basically it give you an interactive map of wherever you like and you point and click to draw your route. It shows distance and elevation gain so you can get your 60 and keep it flat. Also you can avoid major town centers where all the traffic lights would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Strava Routes are also very easy to use - http://www.strava.com/routes

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

A couple of pals of mine are taking up road cycling, mostly weekend spins with the odd summers evening spin. That's their plan anyway. I'm going out with them this weekend for what will be their first long(ish) spin of 50km to 60km. I usually traverse the Enniskerry area but for this spin I'd like something which:-

- Is fairly flat (500m over the whole spin and nothing too steep)
    - Has as few traffic lights as possible
    - Has low traffic / good safe roads
    - Has somewhere for a nice coffee at the half way point

We'll be starting from the Leopardtown roundabout.

My instinct is to keep to the East coast but I'd like to avoid the N11 is at all possible. An alternative might be to head out through Rathfarnham and west for 25km, stop for a coffee somewhere and back.

Any suggestions?

Blessington - out through Firhouse, Tallaght, up the N81, take a left after Brittas, go along the East side of the Blessington lakes until you get to the bridge, over this, take a right on the N81 back into Blessington. Coffee in Grangecon Cafe (can leave the bikes inside the wall). Route back is to go out along the West side of the lakes to Kilbride, retrace steps back to the N81, turn at Brittas towards Balinascorney - little climb to the quarries, lovely descent to Bohernabreena and home. Estimate about 55-60km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Blessington - out through Firhouse, Tallaght, up the N81, take a left after Brittas, go along the East side of the Blessington lakes until you get to the bridge, over this, take a right on the N81 back into Blessington. Coffee in Grangecon Cafe (can leave the bikes inside the wall). Route back is to go out along the West side of the lakes to Kilbride, retrace steps back to the N81, turn at Brittas towards Balinascorney - little climb to the quarries, lovely descent to Bohernabreena and home. Estimate about 55-60km.

Are you suggesting I being them up and over Ballinascorney???? I'm not that experienced myself but I tackled Ballinascorney just before Xmas and it nearly killed me. I ended up having to walk up a couple of the climbs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Why not try the N11 but get onto it after Bray so go down to Deansgrange, up to Bakers Corner and out to Bray through Ballybrack, Shankill, Little Bray and then down the N11 on the hard shoulder as far as Newtown. Have coffee in Fishers and head back the same way??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Something like this might be a good option:

Leopardstown - Kilternan - Ballycorus Road (to Shankill) - Bray - Greystones and back via N11 from Loughlinstown R/A or via Enniskerry

About 50km, only hill of significance is going over Bray head from the Greystones side. Coffee in Greystones which is about halfway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BenEadir wrote: »
    Are you suggesting I being them up and over Ballinascorney????

No. The suggestion is to go out to Brittas on the N81 (up the Embankment ) and come back down via Ballinascorney. The climb up to the Kilsaran quarry is short enough.

crosstownk wrote: »
    No. The suggestion is to go out to Brittas on the N81 (up the Embankment ) and come back down via Ballinascorney. The climb up to the Kilsaran quarry is short enough.

So the climb up to Ballinascorney from Brittas isn't as brutal as the climb up Ballinascorney coming towards Brittas? I did the latter and found it too difficult, at least for now until I have more training done.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Why not try the N11 but get onto it after Bray so go down to Deansgrange, up to Bakers Corner and out to Bray through Ballybrack, Shankill, Little Bray and then down the N11 on the hard shoulder as far as Newtown. Have coffee in Fishers and head back the same way??

Thanks Seaswimmer, I like the sound of that.

xebec wrote: »
    Something like this might be a good option:

Leopardstown - Kilternan - Ballycorus Road (to Shankill) - Bray - Greystones and back via N11 from Loughlinstown R/A or via Enniskerry

About 50km, only hill of significance is going over Bray head from the Greystones side. Coffee in Greystones which is about halfway.
    Thanks xebec, that route looks very good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭thejaguar

DaithiMC wrote: »

I'd recommend this. I cycle it pretty regularly. Apart from the N81 the roads should be quiet enough.
    The climb from Brittas up to Ballinascorney is short and A LOT easier than coming from the other side. Once you get to Brittas/Blessington there are a load of options in and around the lakes depending on how man km you want to do.

Thanks everyone, lot's of good suggestions there. I'll see what the weather is like Sat morning and make a decision then.

Advertisement