Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable NAS

Options
  • 07-01-2015 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to add a NAS to my network rack for storing my data, mainly video and photos.

At the moment I have a QNAP but the OS, busybox, is really bad. I was thinking of splitting how I handle stuff. Looking to get a relatively dumb NAS for the rack that will just read/write data and apply user/group permissions, preferably with low energy requirements. It doesn't need to be powerful or have any fancy features. I would then use an intel nuc for openvpn, nginx, transcoding video, etc to do all the grunt work.

What would be a suitable NAS for this sort of a setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

Im currently using a Drobo and find it very good, I also have some Buffalo Terrastations

Network Storage

Drobo Pro 16TB RAID 5
    Buffalo TerraStation 2.7TB Raid 5
    Buffalo TerraStation 1.2TB Raid 5
    Buffalo 3TB Raid 0
    Lacice 3TB Raid 0

USB Storage

WD 2 TB
    Buffalo 1 TB

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Drobo can be kinda expensive but they're turnkey if thats what you want.

If you could get a 19" case with a bunch of bays you could throw in a 30W Avaton board (8core), 300W psu and either run Freenas/nas4free with ZFS or throw in a raid card and run windows. Itll be probably similar to a little more expensive per usable TB but you'll be able to manage it however you like and expand hugely as you hoard and hoard.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Synology NAS units with Network Connections and Multi Bay Drives have good reviews. I have one installed and its very powerful and stable.

Advertisement