Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York 2015 Query

Options
  • 07-01-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

Folks, a question. Does joining the NYRR club help much or at all in getting into the New York marathon?

I notice annual membership is 40$. Anyone ever try this route?

My marathon time and Half are ok for qualification. I'm only curious, chances of my actually doing the thing are not great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, a question. Does joining the NYRR club help much or at all in getting into the New York marathon?

I notice annual membership is 40$. Anyone ever try this route?

My marathon time and Half are ok for qualification. I'm only curious, chances of my actually doing the thing are not great.

No (sadly!). It's only an advantage to local affiliated club members who can hit qualifying times - preferential start etc. They assume that relatively few entries will be NYRR members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I emailed them last week to ask if the time qualifier entries applied to non-US people as well & I got a reply within 24 hours -
    Please especially notice that you are in the group who met the time standards in a non-NYRR race. This group will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis until the maximum number of this group has been accepted. So the earlier you apply after the application opens on January 15, NYC time, the better your chances.

I see what I'll be doing on Jan 15th anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

opus wrote: »
    I emailed them last week to ask if the time qualifier entries applied to non-US people as well & I got a reply within 24 hours -

Its a great race. Atmosphere is something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

First come first served, refresh with credit card in hand. I'll be M50 by the time the race comes around but my Qualification Time was done when I was 49. Is that acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

First come first served, refresh with credit card in hand. I'll be M50 by the time the race comes around but my Qualification Time was done when I was 49. Is that acceptable?

You'd imagine so but it doesn't say it explicitly on their web page, why not fire them an email as I got a response very quickly - mynyrr@nyrr.org

• Advertisement

The rules have changed since I was interested (or able to qualify :() but from talking to someone in a similar position - if you apply early you should be good. This GFA does not close immediately. Take a look at the 7th post and responses here http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/i-just-received-today-a-depressing-email-from-nyrr

You'd imagine so but it doesn't say it explicitly on their web page, why not fire them an email as I got a response very quickly - mynyrr@nyrr.org

It is on the website ... you need to follow the astrix on the times !

*Age on November 1, 2015.

So you should be good.

Advertisement