Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC freezing while uploading,how to get out of it.

Options
  • 07-01-2015 2:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

My paptop is currently being serviced so I dug out the old PC which I haven't used in ages.Was using mobile broadband stick and it was working away fine,when I put it on next I got a message saying it was loading an update to Windows 7.This got to 43% and then just stayed at that for ages,then the message came up "Stage 1 Of 2 Failure Configuring Service Pack Reverting Changes Do Not Turn Off Your Computer.This message just stayed there then and nothing more seemed to happen,I even went nout for an hour and let the pc on and it still hasent progressed,when I turn it off and back on again now it just goes back to the start.Does anyone know a soloution to this because as far as I can see its juswt going to keep doing it indefinetly.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It can take ages (hours on old machines to revert a bad Windows update). A more risky thing you could try is if Safe mode loads navigate to the Windows directory under drive C: and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution2. When you restart Windows should not detect any updates or failed updates usually, but if essential Windows components were being updated it may cause system instability or corruption. I'd leave the machine reverting updates overnight if possible, otherwise you can try the above trick. No guarantee it will work though and could make things worse..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That.
    darkdubh wrote: »
    Failure Configuring Service Pack Reverting Changes Do Not Turn Off Your Computer

And it looks like it is trying to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (there is only one), which is a massive update. And very old. You weren't lying that you haven't used your PC in ages :p

If you can get it back up and running as Nick suggested, and you plan on only using the old PC for a little while, you can prevent it from trying to install SP1 again by turning off automatic updates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

It appears to have resolved itself,just left it running for several hours ,nothing more I could do.Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement