Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre to rural areas outside Kilcock

Options
  • 07-01-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm moving into a new home outside Kilcock soon.
    You have the entire Kilcock town and surrounding townlands marked as "Green" on your interactive map.

I done a quick check of business numbers on the outskirts and found none that are eFibre enabled! NONE!
    The only places that seem to be enabled are within the town.

Now I understand that the map is indicative only, and that this is stated above the map.
    But as far as I can see a good 80% of the actual land area is not covered
    This means the map is ridiculously inaccurate.

Are you able to tell me if there are plans to enable eFibre in rural areas around Kilcock?
    I can pm you my address.

On a side note: What cant you provide a more accurate map based on cabinets that are enabled and not based on the exchange boundaries?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

rodge123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

You have the entire Kilcock town and surrounding townlands marked as "Green" on your interactive map.

I done a quick check of business numbers on the outskirts and found none that are eFibre enabled! NONE!

Now I understand that the map is indicative only, and that this is stated above the map.

Are you able to tell me if there are plans to enable eFibre in rural areas around Kilcock?
    I can pm you my address.

On a side note: What cant you provide a more accurate map based on cabinets that are enabled and not based on the exchange boundaries?

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

The following Map is more informative and I'm guessing would suit your requirements more: (click on NGA fibre broadband network) - http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

If you would like to PM me your address I can also look in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

Hi Guys

I can pm you my address.

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

The following Map is more informative and I'm guessing would suit your requirements more: (click on NGA fibre broadband network) - http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Thanks
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.

Hi Guys

I can pm you my address.

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Thanks Rodge,

Could you also PM me the specific address as in if I was addressing a letter to it? If the house has a landline number that would also help a lot.

Cheers
    Al

Hi Guys

I can pm you my address.

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Thanks Rodge,

Could you also PM me the specific address as in if I was addressing a letter to it? If the house has a landline number that would also help a lot.

Cheers
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.

Hi Guys

I can pm you my address.

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Thanks Rodge,

Cheers
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Hi rodge123

Thanks for PM'ing me further details,

I'm sorry to confirm that there is no indication of when your specific area can expect efibre as at present there is no cabinet scheduled or plans suggesting a timeframe of when to expect an efibre cabinet to serve this area.

I do wish I could offer you better news on this and apologise for any disappointment caused.

The best advice I can offer you at present is to get back to me towards the end of May (when it's likely that more plans will be release) and I'll check for further developments on this for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Guys

I can pm you my address.

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Thanks Rodge,

Cheers
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Hi rodge123

I'm sorry to confirm that there is no indication of when your specific area can expect efibre as at present there is no cabinet scheduled or plans suggesting a timeframe of when to expect an efibre cabinet to serve this area.

I do wish I could offer you better news on this and apologise for any disappointment caused.

The best advice I can offer you at present is to get back to me towards the end of May (when it's likely that more plans will be release) and I'll check for further developments on this for you.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan

Do you know if an area is marked as green then it's an area that will be enabled over the next 2 years at some stage?
    Could there be cases where large chunks of areas withing the green marked zones may not get fibre at all?

Hi Guys

I can pm you my address.

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Thanks Rodge,

Cheers
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan

Do you know if an area is marked as green then it's an area that will be enabled over the next 2 years at some stage?
    Could there be cases where large chunks of areas withing the green marked zones may not get fibre at all?
    Hi rodge123

I understand the confusion that the shaded green area can create however I can confirm that the green area is not set to indicate that all lines within it can get efibre or even over a timframe in to the future.

There could be cases where areas of efibre may not get efibre at all which is why the map is purely for indicative purposes only. I highly recommend working of the alternative map I provided above rodge.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Guys

I can pm you my address.

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Thanks Rodge,

Cheers
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan

Hi rodge123

I understand the confusion that the shaded green area can create however I can confirm that the green area is not set to indicate that all lines within it can get efibre or even over a timframe in to the future.

There could be cases where areas of efibre may not get efibre at all which is why the map is purely for indicative purposes only. I highly recommend working of the alternative map I provided above rodge.

Thanks
    Al
    Yeah there is no enabled or planned cabinet anywhere near our house unfortunately.
    Looks like I'll be stuck with Sky TV and broadband for a while yet.
    Would have liked to sign up to Eircom TV and Fibre bundle. 

Hi Guys

I can pm you my address.

Thanks
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Thanks Rodge,

Cheers
    Al
    PM Sent Alan.
    Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan

Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    Yeah there is no enabled or planned cabinet anywhere near our house unfortunately.
    Looks like I'll be stuck with Sky TV and broadband for a while yet.
    Would have liked to sign up to Eircom TV and Fibre bundle. 
    Sorry I can't offer you better news on this yet rodge123

Al

I don't suppose you could give me an indication of the line speed of the two numbers I provided you with earlier via PM?

• Advertisement

I don't suppose you could give me an indication of the line speed of the two numbers I provided you with earlier via PM?
    Sure, give me a minute and I'll get back soon

Al

Hi,

The line number ending with the number 2 does not qualify for broadband as it's too far from the serving exchange and the other number is per-qualifying for up to 1Mb (although broadband can't be guaranteed) Also because of distance from the exchange.

Thanks
    Al

Hi,

The line number ending with the number 2 does not qualify for broadband as it's too far from the serving exchange and the other number is per-qualifying for up to 1Mb (although broadband can't be guaranteed) Also because of distance from the exchange.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks again Alan.

Up to 1mb....oh my god! :eek:
    I've been living in Dublin with 60mb FTTH up until recently!

Is there anything I can do to get a better speed than this?
    For example, get eircom to install a new cabinet nearby? Maybe if there was a group of houses that agreed to sign up? Etc...

Hi,

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks again Alan.

For example, get eircom to install a new cabinet nearby? Maybe if there was a group of houses that agreed to sign up? Etc...
    Hi rodge123

Unfortunately specific requests to upgrade infrastructure are not taken and I'm sorry to confirm eircom will be unable to facilitate any such request.

Thanks
    Al

Hi,

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks again Alan.

Hi rodge123

Unfortunately specific requests to upgrade infrastructure are not taken and I'm sorry to confirm eircom will be unable to facilitate any such request.

Thanks
    Al
    Does the connection from the roadside pole to house play a role in the speeds you got for the tests on the numbers I gave you?
    I'll be building a new house on our site so was hoping new connections/boxes would improve speed?

Also is there any info on other plans for my area unrelated to fibre, maybe VDSL upgrades or new exchanges?

(I'm clutching at straws I know!)

Hi,

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks again Alan.

Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al
    Does the connection from the roadside pole to house play a role in the speeds you got for the tests on the numbers I gave you?
    I'll be building a new house on our site so was hoping new connections/boxes would improve speed?

Also is there any info on other plans for my area unrelated to fibre, maybe VDSL upgrades or new exchanges?

I can fully understand your concern rodge123

However I'm afraid I'll be unable to offer you the hope that I would like to. The connection from the roadside pole to the house really has no impact nor does the consideration of new connections/cabinets as ultimately it's all about the distance from the exchange and there's nothing that can be done to help with that.

VDSL upgrade is actually efibre FTTC - fibre to the cabinet as previously discussed.

I understand that this is quite disappointing and apologise for this rodge

Al

Hi,

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks again Alan.

Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al

However I'm afraid I'll be unable to offer you the hope that I would like to. The connection from the roadside pole to the house really has no impact nor does the consideration of new connections/cabinets as ultimately it's all about the distance from the exchange and there's nothing that can be done to help with that.

VDSL upgrade is actually efibre FTTC - fibre to the cabinet as previously discussed.

Al
    It it possible to find out the nearest cabinet to the phone numbers I provided you Al? (That map only shows fibre enabled/planned ones).

Would having a fibre enabled cabinet close to me not improve speeds as the cabinet would be connected to exchange via fibre therefore significantly reducing data loss through copper?

Hi,

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks again Alan.

Hi rodge123

Thanks
    Al

Al
    It it possible to find out the nearest cabinet to the phone numbers I provided you Al? (That map only shows fibre enabled/planned ones).

Would having a fibre enabled cabinet close to me not improve speeds as the cabinet would be connected to exchange via fibre therefore significantly reducing data loss through copper

Cabinets are only taken in to consideration of efibre availability and the map I provided above will indicate this (although efibre will not be available for the foreseeable future)

Having a cabinet enabled nearby improving speeds is the current method of efibre rollout Rodge - it's called fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) but it's not planned for your area and I'm sorry to confirm plans of this nature are made at a networks level beyond public request to change.

Al

Al

Advertisement