Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has major anxiety \ behavioural issues

• 07-01-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a 4year old mix terrier who has some major anxiety, behavioural, separation issues as far as I can see and I am kicking myself I didn't address these whilst she was still a young pup.

From the day she has been born, she has not yet for even one second been separated from her mother as she was the one pup from the litter we decided to keep.

Not only is she super clingy to her mother, and at times even bullies her, but is also super clingy to me and my family members. So much so, that if she gets left behind a closed door, despite being with her mother, she squeals and barks very persistently and loudly for a period of time, until been given out to or shouted at my myself. This may stop her temporarily but she does not learn any lesson from this and will repeat every time in the future. She is also super aggressive towards people passing the house when at the side gate of my house, and continues to bark for hours on end. I have no control of her when she is outside the house at the side gate and cannot succeed in getting her to be quiet.

I have considered a few solutions but I also have to consider my options based on my finances. I have considered a anti bark collar in the past but never committed as felt it was cruel. I spoke to my pet shop today and they recommended two products. 1: Sprayvit Petcalm which comes in a droplet form that you put in the dogs food. Basically a herbal extract. 2: Adaptil. Comes in a few different forms including Collars, plug in scented diffuser and also droplets for food. This works off a fermone type system.

I am not sure what to think about these options as they are expensive, and I am sceptical. What success if any have you had with your dogs behavioural issues, and how did you solve them?

Kind Regards
    Subscriber

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly none of the three items you list does anything to solve the root problem of behaviour issues or insecurity (which in turn drives the separation anxiety and frantic barking at strangers). While possibly more expensive I'd look at getting one or two sessions with a certified dog behaviourist to create a training plan on how to address the issues; this will give you a chance to get a permanent solution rather than constantly having to buy more bandaids. As the area of dog trainers are full with wannabie youtube stars with dubious knowledge if you post your general area I'm sure people can give you recommendations to appropriately trained behaviorists to contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nody wrote: »
    Honestly none of the three items you list does anything to solve the root problem of behaviour issues or insecurity (which in turn drives the separation anxiety and frantic barking at strangers). While possibly more expensive I'd look at getting one or two sessions with a certified dog behaviourist to create a training plan on how to address the issues; this will give you a chance to get a permanent solution rather than constantly having to buy more bandaids. As the area of dog trainers are full with wannabie youtube stars with dubious knowledge if you post your general area I'm sure people can give you recommendations to appropriately trained behaviorists to contact.

+1 Save your money OP until you can afford a session with a behaviorist who'll help you get to the root of the problem rather than firefighting with quick fixes One of mine is clingy and we were able to work up to an hour when he can be left alone with our other dog in the house - before he would have gone mad barking and got himself in a state. It took months starting off with minutes but worthwhile when you see progress. I've done lots and lots of training classes but having the one to one session was really worthwhile and helpful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just to reiterate op, things like Adaptil and herbal remedies are only of any use when used to support a structured behavioral modification plan, so in the context of using them on their own, chances are you'll find them pretty ineffective.
    I'd also like to echo what the others have said, with regards to saving your funds to get a good, properly qualified behaviourist. Cowboy, self-titled behaviourists all too often do more harm than good, and in particular their misguided actions can be devastating for an anxious dog. Hopefully we'll be able to guide you here if you let us know roughly where you are.
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

DBB wrote: »
    Just to reiterate op, things like Adaptil and herbal remedies are only of any use when used to support a structured behavioral modification plan, so in the context of using them on their own, chances are you'll find them pretty ineffective.
    I'd also like to echo what the others have said, with regards to saving your funds to get a good, properly qualified behaviourist. Cowboy, self-titled behaviourists all too often do more harm than good, and in particular their misguided actions can be devastating for an anxious dog. Hopefully we'll be able to guide you here if you let us know roughly where you are.
    Good luck :)

Thanks for the replies,

I was afraid that a behaviouralist was going to be the answer to this problem as id imagine they are expensive but would be willing to give one a try if the price was right.

Living in galway. 6 miles outside the city.

You're looking at somewhere around the €100-€150 mark for a 2ish hour session with a behaviourist.
    Tara Nic Dhiarmada is based in Loughrea/Galway, and has very good qualifications in behaviour. I've heard good reports about her too, and I know there are people here from Galway who have had Tara's help and are very happy with her.
    You will find her contact details via a Google search ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

DBB wrote: »
    You're looking at somewhere around the €100-€150 mark for a 2ish hour session with a behaviourist.
    Tara Nic Dhiarmada is based in Loughrea/Galway, and has very good qualifications in behaviour. I've heard good reports about her too, and I know there are people here from Galway who have had Tara's help and are very happy with her.
    You will find her contact details via a Google search ;)

Would I expect to have cumulative sessions over a period of time or would this be a one of visit, or how do these things usually go?

subscriber wrote: »
    Would I expect to have cumulative sessions over a period of time or would this be a one of visit, or how do these things usually go?

Hmmm.. I don't want to pre-empt what any particular practitioner does, but as a good behaviourist should give follow-up phone and email support, and as separation anxiety is one of those conditions that probably doesn't necessarily require ongoing physical intervention by the behaviourist, I'd be inclined to think that there's a good chance one session will do you, with the remote support. But do be prepared for a lot of work: separation anxiety needs a very slow, methodical, gradual approach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Definatly recommend tara. She's based in west galway. Email her with full story of your dog and she'll get back to you with rough idea of what you'll have to do... how many visits/consultations it might take.

I was having problem with Nala after i went to away for a few nights before christmas (she was pooing in house and very clingy wanting to follow me everywhere and bolting out the house when i was leaving). I left Nala at home with other half so was very worried by her behaviour, emailed Tara and she's helped me loads. She's known Nala since she was a puppy so was able to advise on what to do over the phone/email but offered to come to my house if I thought she needed to.

I've pm'd you her details

Advertisement