Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinasloe Mental Hosiptal records query

Options
  • 07-01-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Looking for information on my Great Uncle who died in 1933 in Ballinasloe Mental (Lunatic) Hosiptal.

We are looking for his medical records around his death i.e. the reason/causes for his death.

Any ideas/suggestions on the best place to start looking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

how about doing a freedom information request on the H.S.E?
    the likeyhood is that there stuck somewhere in a dark room or else thrown away

have you checked with the local historical society for broader information on the record filing process for said hospital..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

Hi,

Do you think is it worth contacting The National Archives?

Thanks,
    James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

in my view local historical soc would be the first port of call ,they have great knowlege in these matters and you could save yourself a lot of running around ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭tphase

AFAIK all those records are in the National Library

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Cause of death will be on the death cert which you can get from the General Register Office. If he died of an unrelated illness, rather than whatever led to his admission, not sure if it will be recorded, but the cert is only €4 in any case. The records will be owned by the HSE, and the hospital is still open, so this would be the best place to contact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Medical records are usually sealed for 100 years after the last entry but sometimes they make exceptions for events a very long time ago, for next of kin. CeannRua is right: the HSE will have control of the records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement