Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house, no alarm code

Options
  • 07-01-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just moved into a house with an alarm, but nobody knows the code. There was an instruction sheet for the alarm left behind with a mobile phone contact number on it, which now appears to be defunct. I had a guy from an alarm company call in before Christmas, and he said that without an engineering code, basically everything will need to be replaced, at a cost of about €700. The house is only 10 years old, and the panel etc looks reasonably modern to me, so the alarm can't be THAT old. I see the sensors blinking away when I move around each room etc, and the panel in working (shows the date and time etc).

Before starting this thread I did search the forum and I can see many others have been in this situation before, and the advice generally seems to be that a security professional should be able to unlock it. Is that the case?

For what it's worth, I noticed a sticker on the box beside my fuse board, and the alarm seems to be a DSC PC5015.

In summary, do people think I should be able to get someone to reset the alarm as is? Or am I going to have to spend the 700?

Cheers,

Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

It sounds to me like the chap you had out may be a HKC type of guy, in that he may only be used to their equipment.

Any guy worth how salt would find out more about that panel, educate themselves and then go and do what is necessary.

Now that is all fine and well, the other thing that I have to bring into this equation is, does that system comply with EN50131?
    Basically if you let your insurers know you have an alarm, this is a standard which they will be seeking. DSC are a Canadian manufacturer so AFAIK do not need to comply with our standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

kub wrote: »
    It sounds to me like the chap you had out may be a HKC type of guy, in that he may only be used to their equipment.

Any guy worth how salt would find out more about that panel, educate themselves and then go and do what is necessary.

Now that is all fine and well, the other thing that I have to bring into this equation is, does that system comply with EN50131?
    Basically if you let your insurers know you have an alarm, this is a standard which they will be seeking. DSC are a Canadian manufacturer so AFAIK do not need to comply with our standards.

Thanks kub. I got the vibe that the guy wasn't too pushed about putting any effort into making what we have work alright. He spoke about it being an outdated system, and the possibility of the sensors giving false readings resulting in false alarms. I know it's difficult to say without seeing what's there, but do those sound like stuff a guy who just wants to sell you a new system would say?!

Regarding the compliance with that standard, I did a very quick google there and ended up on the following page. It seems to be a DSC alarm installation guide, and appear to mention the model I have, and states that it's EN50131 compliant. At least that's my take. Any thoughts?

http://www.bkgrupe.lt/uploads/docs/Apsauga/Instrukcijos/Instalerio/DSC/PC5108/pc5108-install-guide.pdf

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement