Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scale of the Andromeda Galaxy

Options
  • 07-01-2015 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Saw this video on another website and thought it would be of interest here. Really hits home what lies within that faint smudge we see in the night sky. Amazing.

http://youtu.be/udAL48P5NJU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A Galaxy of 1 trillion stars.That sure is mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

A Galaxy of 1 trillion stars.That sure is mind boggling.

I agree, and the thing I found myself losing sight of is that despite how unbelievably dense the stars all appear to be packed together, there is still light years between each one. Granted towards the galactic core they may be half a light year or less away from each other but using our star as a typical example, our nearest neighbour is over 4 light years away from us.

Makes you wonder what Hubbles successor will be able to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Genuine question here: Are humans truly able to appreciate scale like that?

I watched that video and my head nearly exploded trying to keep up with the sense of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

cronin_j wrote: »
    Genuine question here: Are humans truly able to appreciate scale like that?

I watched that video and my head nearly exploded trying to keep up with the sense of scale.

No, we cant even get our heads aroud the odds of winning the lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Posted before but a section of the Milky way.

http://djer.roe.ac.uk/vsa/vvv/iipmooviewer-2.0-beta/vvvgps5.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cronin_j wrote: »
    G
    A trillion stars ?

The US spends a Trillion dollars a year on security between the military and the federal agencies

The value of outstanding derivatives contracts was 71.1 Quadrillion cents at the end of 2013

see also
    http://xkcd.com/980/

http://demonocracy.info/infographics/usa/derivatives/bank_exposure.html
    NB. these pictures would be 100 times worse if they used dollar bills

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I agree, and the thing I found myself losing sight of is that despite how unbelievably dense the stars all appear to be packed together, there is still light years between each one. Granted towards the galactic core they may be half a light year or less away from each other but using our star as a typical example, our nearest neighbour is over 4 light years away from us.

Makes you wonder what Hubbles successor will be able to see.

Interesting! I've often wondered if we happened to be located in a denser part of the galaxy, so that the closest star was less than half a light year away, would interstellar travel still be unimaginable without some kind of futuristic anti-matter drive?
    Could a scaled up, high-powered, ~6000isp ion drive allow us to, at the very least, send probes to the neighbouring solar systems at that distance?
    We're pretty unfortunate that in our local cluster, the nearest star is over 4 light years away, and the rest even further!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

BULLER wrote: »
    Interesting! I've often wondered if we happened to be located in a denser part of the galaxy, so that the closest star was less than half a light year away, would interstellar travel still be unimaginable without some kind of futuristic anti-matter drive?
    Could a scaled up, high-powered, ~6000isp ion drive allow us to, at the very least, send probes to the neighbouring solar systems at that distance?
    We're pretty unfortunate that in our local cluster, the nearest star is over 4 light years away, and the rest even further!

I think even half a light year away is bridge too far for us at our current point of technological capabilities given the fact that the voyager 1 probe, which is the probe furthest away from us and launched in the 70's, is a mere 18 light hours from earth. But in the future who knows. A hundred years ago it was generally thought that our galaxy was the entire universe as other galaxies were being misidentified as nebula. Fast forward to today and we have a space telescope resolving individual stars in a neighbouring galaxy thats over 2 million light years away. Who knows what we will be capable of a hundred years from now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I think even half a light year away is bridge too far for us at our current point of technological capabilities given the fact that the voyager 1 probe, which is the probe furthest away from us and launched in the 70's, is a mere 18 light hours from earth. But in the future who knows.
    In the past it's taken hundreds of years to complete some cathedrals.

And as you say Voyager is 3/4 of a light day away.

On a related note New Horizons should be getting back to work this week after an extended break.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

• Advertisement
Advertisement