Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - getting out of lease early

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Marcusm wrote: »
    The point is that it is not simply possible to read in additional provisions to the law; had the consent been required to be "reasonably" then such words would be used. I can see that a fraudulent or corrupt assignment could easily be refused - such as proposing a minor child or a destitute homeless person - but the law does not deem the landlord as a person requiring a high level of protection - this is clear from the RTA generally.

The landlord is not required to accept the proposed tenant but the law, to my reading, is framed in a manner that if the landlord chooses not to accept the proposed assignment, he has no further claim on the tenant. That being said, he still has the deposit so it is always best for the parties to come to an agreeable solution.

This is where the interpretation of what is intended in the RTA is at odds. This is why I asked if there were examples from the PRTB where it showed what the interpretation is intended to be.

Assignment in commercial leases has the 'reasonable' qualifier attached to it and, as the law is murky here, I'd say the 'reasonable' test is also applicable in private residential leases. I am not a lawyer and this is a lay person's reading of the situation.

What's the point of a lease in the landlord's eyes if the tenant can walk away by proposing some randomer anytime they like?

Advertisement