Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted Furniture

Options
  • 07-01-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My partner and I have recently bought a house and the previous owners have left all of their furniture in the property.

As we already have our own furniture and the previous owners don't want it, we are looking to give the furniture away.

We don't want any money for it but it would need to be collected.

There are 3 single beds with mattresses, a double bed, 3 and 2 seater couches, an armchair and a computer table.

We're based in Maynooth and if anyone would be interested or know of any charities who take this kind of furniture please PM me.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Jumbletown is a great site to get rid of stuff people are unwilling to buy, or that you don't think is in good enough condition to give to a charity shop. If you don't have any takers here, upload photos to the relevant section on jumbletown and I'm sure you will get rid of the lot very quickly.

We once got rid of a very old quite tattered sofa bed which a guy drove all the way across the country to get as he wanted it for a self-converted camper van.

Advertise it on Gumtree. I did it 2 weeks ago for my daughter's bed after she got a new one. 2 hours later the bed was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will try both sites and see if anyone wants any of the furniture. Someone else suggested st Vincent de Paul too so will get in touch with them and see

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a charity shop that takes furniture out the road towards Clane,I think it is called Barts.
    The charity shop beside Xtra Vision takes small furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There is a charity shop that takes furniture out the road towards Clane,I think it is called Barts.

"charity" shop. Not a registered charity. I'd prefer to give them away on adverts/gumtree/jumbletown

I've shifted a lot of redundant furniture here for small amounts on Adverts, some other stuff has gone for free or likely will if nobody bites soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Interesting, I never noticed that.

Found an article related to it though - http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/bart-goes-it-alone-to-save-22000-30630004.html

I don't think you will have any problems getting rid of them on Adverts.

Thank guys, I might take some photos tonight and put the items up on adverts.

We're trying to redecorate the house at the moment and all the old furniture is just in the way so hopefully we'll find some takers for it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

L1011 wrote: »
    "charity" shop. Not a registered charity.

eh - anyone can set up a "registered charity" - the reporting of a "registered charity" is very lax.

Where a public limited company is set up, the public can access ALL information on the company via the CRO including director reports, auditors reports, expense etc etc.

I'd much much much rather give to someone who has a PUBLIC company that gives all profits to charity that a "registered charity" that can mask much of its expenditure.

But some people just would never understand that difference and will donate to "charities" that pay their execs HUGE salaries.

So maybe before making judgement, try checking your information.

btw - Barts Cancer Charity has done a huge amount to ease life for people who suffer from cancer and Bart Murphy and his wife should be championed for their unstinting and very basically paid work.

So I've advertised the furniture, called charities and asked around for any interested people and all I've managed to get rid of was a two seater couch and a desk.

Looks like the rest of the stuff is now going to be going to the dump. It's a shame really but there were just no takers.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

delahuntv wrote: »
    eh - anyone can set up a "registered charity" - the reporting of a "registered charity" is very lax.

Where a public limited company is set up, the public can access ALL information on the company via the CRO including director reports, auditors reports, expense etc etc.

I'd much much much rather give to someone who has a PUBLIC company that gives all profits to charity that a "registered charity" that can mask much of its expenditure.

But some people just would never understand that difference and wil
    l donate to "charities" that pay their execs HUGE salaries.

So maybe before making judgement, try checking your information.

btw - Barts Cancer Charity has done a huge amount to ease life for people who suffer from cancer and Bart Murphy and his wife should be championed for their unstinting and very basically paid work.

Its not even a limited company (anymore). Also, a public limited company is a very different kind of company to a limited company, which this was, if you really feel like getting in to a lesson on corporate law as it appears you wanted to.

Purely and simply - its not a charity. End of story. Defensive diatribes don't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

IrishAlice wrote: »
    So I've advertised the furniture, called charities and asked around for any interested people and all I've managed to get rid of was a two seater couch and a desk.

Looks like the rest of the stuff is now going to be going to the dump. It's a shame really but there were just no takers.

Do you have a small wardrobe? I'm looking for one for my daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

IrishAlice wrote: »

I'm surprised at that. I live in North Kildare too and always have more than enough takers for my free stuff.

I had a look on adverts.ie for your items but couldn't see any of them? Might be interested in a bed.

Sorry Karen, we broke up all the bed bases and threw everything out to go into a skip so there's nothing left.

After we did that I then got a call from a charity asking about the beds. Typical!

Ah well at least a couple of items got re-homed. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions :)

Advertisement