Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic Chromecast question.

• 07-01-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello, am thinking of purchasing the chromecast; at the moment I just use a hdmi cable to watch netflix etc on the TV screen instead of off the laptop. I'm wondering if I use the chromecast, can I watch netflix on the tv while someone else in the room then uses the laptop to play games/surf the net etc. Or will the laptop still be tied up so to speak?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

gem16 wrote: »
    Hello, am thinking of purchasing the chromecast; at the moment I just use a hdmi cable to watch netflix etc on the TV screen instead of off the laptop. I'm wondering if I use the chromecast, can I watch netflix on the tv while someone else in the room then uses the laptop to play games/surf the net etc. Or will the laptop still be tied up so to speak?
    Thanks!
    Yes, chromecast will get the feed directly from the internet itself, so netflix would run in the background on your laptop and you could continue browsing in a new tab, or working on any program you want. You could even shut down the laptop if you wanted (but you obviously wouldn't be able to
    control the stream when the laptop is shutdown.)

You could also stream directly from a smartphone if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gem16

Thanks for the reply, that's all I need to know, I think I'll go ahead and order one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I have one and think its fab.....got mine in the states for about 15euro....I think there is a newer model coming out soon mite be worth holding off or lookin it up..

Thanks Steve. Mostly want it for netflix use so this version will prob serve me well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

The Chromecast is kind of funny that way and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. The Chromecast runs independently and downloads its content directly from the internet but it has no usable controls of its own so you need to use another device (phone tablet or laptop) to start and stop it. The curious thing is that you can switch off the laptop and phone and Chromecast will happily keep showing the last movie or whatever it was running. The only trouble with doing this is that you have no way of pausing the movie so it is normal to keep Netflix or Youtube or whatever running in the background on your phone or computer so that you retain some control over the Chromecast.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. I just want to be able to view Netflix stuff on the big screen and leave others to use the laptop. :)

Advertisement