Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris shooting thread in AH

Options
  • 07-01-2015 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭

As of now, the AH thread on the shootings in Paris has been shut for about two and a half hours as the mods presumably try to sift through all of the even-handed, high-quality and reasonable posts to get rid of all the horrible racism in between.

However, it's the biggest news story of the day and, it being a discussion forum, I feel that it is inefficient for that thread to be locked for such a long time.

So there.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

I've just locked another thread in AH on the issue and asked the poster to bear with me a minute.

I'm looking into it sooooo.... bear with me a minute.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Worth pointing out that all the mods are also busy with real world stuff. We're working as fast as we currently can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

humanji wrote: »
    Worth pointing out that all the mods are also busy with real world stuff. We're working as fast as we currently can.

Yeah, that's fine. But as I said, it's the biggest news story of the day and people can't talk about it in AH. Something's not right there and it hurts the site's reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Tragic event, engineered by seemly 3 guys who believe they were doing Gods work... total contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yeah, that's fine. But as I said, it's the biggest news story of the day and people can't talk about it in AH. Something's not right there and it hurts the site's reputation.
    I think the problem is that too many people were incapable of talking about it without hurting the site's reputation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think the problem is that too many people were incapable of talking about it without hurting the site's reputation

A sad display of what state that forum is in when you can practically anticipate the repetitive "religion of peace", racist, anti-US, Israel / Palestine shoehorning, "meanwhile in other parts of the world", aggressively insulting posts that derail the thread so much you expect a lock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

sure takes a while to push that "Ban anyone right of centre" button!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

My fault.
    I was dealing with it and went through most of it but got busy with work stuff and hadn't had a chance to get back to it after that. Apologies.
    It's being sorted now.

So there.

And new thread opened. A simple PM to the mods would have drawn our attention to it more quickly (in fact, that's exactly what happened).

Please bear in mind that all of the AH mods have full time jobs. We do the best we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

And new thread opened. A simple PM to the mods would have drawn our attention to it more quickly (in fact, that's exactly what happened).

Please bear in mind that all of the AH mods have full time jobs. We do the best we can.

This is a commercial site, Its crazy to close down discussion on a worldwide news event for two and a half hours while it's still going on. Archaic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

Ye need to quit your jobs then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

drumswan wrote: »
    This is a commercial site, Its crazy to close down discussion on a worldwide news event for two and a half hours while it's still going on. Archaic stuff.

God forbid an Internet thread was closed so people couldn't rant and throw around racist and xenophobic comments for a couple of hours.
    Terrible stuff, Joe.

It was an oversight. It's been taken care of now.

When boards start paying me more than my current employer pays me, I'll ensure I'm online for 8 hours a day solid.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    God forbid an Internet thread was closed so people couldn't rant and throw around racist and xenophobic comments for a couple of hours.
    Terrible stuff, Joe.

It was an oversight. It's been taken care of now.

Yes because anyone that's worried about the rise of Islamic extremism in Europe is clearly racist and xenophobic. Don't mention the war!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

This is getting a little Odd.

I woke up today to the worst terrorists attacks in Europe in recent years.

Naturally I go to Boards.ie for some current news on the affair.

Only to find the Thread closed by a Mod Over TWO HOURS ago with the message about "having to edit the crap out of this thread".

Okay.

So I opened a new thread. Easy right? No need for "editing" on an empty thread right?

No, The mods closed it after a few minutes with a message about "give us a minute okay?". Give us a "a minute"??? Thats wasover half an hour ago.

WTF???

Seriously. A breaking news topic of major importance and its given over to some "mod" to close as they please? And they can also close any other threads on the topic with no explanation? I really dont understnd at all.

Very very weak organisation Boards.ie.

If your mods arent up to the task then you need other mods. (And I fully appreciate that they are volunteers!) .

Thanks for your time.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

When boards start paying me more than my current employer pays me, I'll ensure I'm online for 8 hours a day solid.

They should be paying someone at this stage, Its a commercial enterprise.

Fire ahead and ask the office to pay some mods.

Don't moan at the volunteers for not being fast enough though. And don't complain when you have to pay to register for this free commercial enterprise.

gallag wrote: »
    Yes because anyone that's worried about the rise of Islamic extremism in Europe is clearly racist and xenophobic. Don't mention the war!!

Did he say that? No. Read the thread and you'll see more than enough vitriol that no human should have to put up with. Then realise there's plenty more that you didn't see.

They don't make that much money to be paying that many mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Would you not turn on a news channel first no? Relax, people have other things like work perhaps. Sorry if it isn't fast enough for you.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Did he say that? No. Read the thread and you'll see more than enough vitriol that no human should have to put up with. Then realise there's plenty more that you didn't see.

They don't make that much money to be paying that many mods.

You will also see a lot of whataboutery and justifying the attacks but that's not worth getting offended about!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They do - the (small number of) paid employees work in the office. The business does not make a profit and paying mods anything other than some very basic benefits (suchg as a free name change and access to one or two extra forums) will cost the business and possibly lead to its closure - you then lose your free discussion site.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Beasty wrote: »
    They do - the (small number of) paid employees work in the office. The business does not make a profit and paying mods anything other than some very basic benefits (suchg as a free name change and access to one or two extra forums) will cost the business and possibly lead to its closure - you then lose your free discussion site.

Still denying there is hookers and blow huh?????

I'M ONTO YOU PAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

This site has *always* been a commercial enterprise, I have literally no idea why people think that we've suddenly become one in the last couple of years.

This thread's run its course, I've already site banned one person for abusing the AH team and to be perfectly honest, I can only see myself needing to ban a lot more if it continues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement