Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football salaries-why stated as 'net'?

• 07-01-2015 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The media talk about football players salaries in net terms and per week. Why?
    Is it simply because saying X earns £600,000 per month sounds obscene? (£100k net per week roughly).
    If that is it why would the media care?
    For other industries it's always per year or month mentioned.
    Just wondering,
    Pa

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I always thought it was gross and I assume it goes back to when people got paid weekly.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I imagine it's gross and net won't be much lower if they hire a good accountant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Bigger is always better, or at least sounds better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It depends, income tax is a very significant factor. To take Ligue I for example talking in terms of gross is pointless as the French state has effectively a law taxing footballers and their respective clubs who are paid over a million. Coaxing Zlatan's by gross salary (approx €50 million) would, pardon the pun, be grossly misrepresenting how much income he'd actually receive from PSG (approx €10 million).

Note: All of this is excluding sponserships and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Depends on what offshore island the accountants are located on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I thought it was just Goalkeepers wages that were in net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

To make salary offers across nations.

So a wage in Spain and Germany can be put in common terms to a player from a third country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

My problem is they state it per week whereas in the real world people's salaries are always annual but paid monthly. Without looking it up I wouldn't know my weekly wage.

In the US they do it better as they state it per contract, gives you a much better sense of the cost of a transfer, in British soccer the media just focus on transfer fee and ignore the total outlay on wages. A 10m player to one club could be equivalent in total cost to a 5m player to another club. Yet the latter will be reported as the bargain transfer. Grinds my gears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

In other countries, Italy for example, it is reported in terms of annual salary.

I think net figures are used because tax rates vary from country to country so gross figures wouldn't be that helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

do they not report them as gross in england & net from the continent, especially france as said.

i think they report them weekly as it gives you an idea just how much they earn, football supporters were generally working class paid weekly, no salary nonsense.
    15.6mil a year = lot of money.
    300k a week =a more WTF response from people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

In other countries, Italy for example, it is reported in terms of annual salary.

I think net figures are used because tax rates vary from country to country so gross figures wouldn't be that helpful.

But helpful for whom? You'd imagine what is more relevant, maybe as interesting is how much they cost the club.

The media/people don't say a companies director/manager earn £x net.
    Th health service is in the media but papers don't say "nurses work hard but only earn net £x per week/month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

In the UK, negotiating is before tax, on the continent its after tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Some players are working as holding companies. Their accountant knows how much e.g Player A Ltd earns but once all the 'business' expenses and write offs are taken into account, then the businesses Net intake turns into an individuals gross salary. The holding company is usually based in Jersey.

Advertisement