Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best online college colleges?

Options
  • 07-01-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there, I have a bit of time on my hands so I would like to get an extra qualification from an online college in animal care, welfare or behavior. Can anyone recommend the best online college that gives a recognized qualification, preferably FETAC?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

just been trying to scout out a few places myself. hard to know. itec and cmit or kilroys don't seem to get many good reviews.
    ill be keeping an eye on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

As far as I know, there are no online animal related courses that lead to a recognized award. This makes sense for people who want to have a career working with animals as there must be a practical element to the course. I just came across this site recently:
    http://coursesdirectonline.ie/animal-health-and-pet-care-courses

I don't know anything about it but if it's a hobby course you are looking for it might suit you. No mention of Fetac on it though.
    There is also the ACS distance education courses but again I haven't done them and don't know anyone who has.
    There are also part time courses though run by ELISTA that might be of interest? They are at least in the process of getting fetac accreditation and they do sound interesting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I ended up going with Chevron.
    Kilroys is probably the best known.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I ended up going with Chevron.

I always learn something new on Boards:)
    Which course did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jellybean_80

I'm taking a year out of college so I would just be doing the course as something extra to have on my CV and to learn a bit more about animals! ELISTA seem decent enough but I think I'd wait for them to be accredited by FETAC before I did one of their courses because they're quite expensive.

I found this site called Animal Jobs Direct that seems to have a very wide range of courses, all for around 500 euro. I looked up reviews too and everyone said it was the best thing they had ever done and they love the course. It's accredited by English standards only, I couldn't find anything that said it would be recognised by the Irish standard authorities.
    Has anyone else done one of these course or know anyone who has?? Just want to be sure to be sure because it's a lot of money!

• Advertisement

I'd say if the award they offer has a level on their framework of qualifications it would be recognized throughout Europe. Someone else on the education forums here would probably be able to give you better advice about that.

Advertisement