Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retained firefigher

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

mojopin10 wrote: »
    How does the Jobseeker's Allowance work with retained work? Does your monthly cheque get deducted the allowance you got weekly or what's the story?

You get €188 a week regardless of the amount you earn from calls. They will look back two years to make sure you've enough stamps to be eligible for job seekers benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

Fire1985 wrote: »
    You get €188 a week regardless of the amount you earn from calls. They will look back two years to make sure you've enough stamps to be eligible for job seekers benefits

Good lord that's great news. What about the little yellow slips you mark with the X do they not do those anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Good lord that's great news. What about the little yellow slips you mark with the X do they not do those anymore?

No need for x's and o's, you just get your dole as normal , plus your call out pay, your training pay and your retainer every 3 months

shamrock55 wrote: »
    No need for x's and o's, you just get your dole as normal , plus your call out pay, your training pay and your retainer every 3 months

Cheers for all the info lads. Been retained for 2 years now and no one mentioned it to me until I read it on this!

Cheers for all the info lads. Been retained for 2 years now and no one mentioned it to me until I read it on this!

I take it you have been working for the last 2 yrs so have you?

• Advertisement

I take it you have been working for the last 2 yrs so have you?

No just been getting by on calls and station duty and training days. We're payed monthly and have a steady enough stream of calls thankfully

No just been getting by on calls and station duty and training days. We're payed monthly and have a steady enough stream of calls thankfully

:eek: what your kidding me you mean you havent been signing on for the last 2 yrs nobody told you to sign on even though you are only a retained firefighter(i dont mean only btw, i know it may as well be full time) are all the other lads at your station working full time, (outside the firebrigade) are any signing on? You realy need to head down to your social welfare office and get that sorted
    You have only missed out on 19 500 euro in last 2 yrs, jesus it must be a busy station you obviously dont need the money!!

Another thing, were you signing on before you got into the brigade or were you working

Are you serious? How the hell did it never come up in conversation in the station? It's massive talking point in all retained stations . Anyway better late than never because I know how hard it is retained especially without dole

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bombero

It was removed from retained FF's about 3 years ago, and then reinstated... but you should get on it if you are without work, i myself found myself out of work (apart from retained) at the end of last year and signed on, it entitles you go to on fás/solas courses so you can get some more qualifications under your belt.. pretty handy way to gain more knowledge for the future

Im doing my retained firefighter recruitment course in september, is there written or oral exams at the end of the 3wk course?, also is this when i will be doing the c licence driving course and test also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There are continuing assessments as well as a final theory and practical exam on the 3 week recruits course.
    The driving will be done afterwards (probably after the BA course too).

Will we be using ba on the course at all or is that just kept for the ba course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

You wont be using BA equipment on your recruits, you may get a look at a set but that's about it.

BA is a completely separate course, if your successful in your recruits you will go on to do a BA Initial course which will take two weeks.

One thing i ment to ask was do you get payed for the 3 wks of the recruits course(retained) if so whats the rate?

Can anyone give me an answer to the above question please

How's things can't remember the rate but you get payed for the 3 weeks and if it's outside your county you will get expenses too.

How's things can't remember the rate but you get payed for the 3 weeks and if it's outside your county you will get expenses too.

Thanks for getting back to me, im currently on jobseekers,would i be getting paid on top of that for the 3wk training?

Yeah you keep your jobseekers as far as I'm aware. Enjoy the recruits keep your head down and mouth shut and your laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

What he said. ^

iceage wrote: »
    What he said. ^

Any idea roughly what the rate of pay is for the 3wks training?

• Advertisement

€20 an hour I think

You'll come out with €500 a week I'd say after tax

Be careful claiming your benefit because you're not supposed to when you're on courses . You won't get off to sign on so that's a problem

€20 an hour I think

Be careful claiming your benefit because you're not supposed to when you're on courses . You won't get off to sign on so that's a problem

€20 an hour I think

€20 an hour I think

€20 an hour I think

€20 an hour I think

€20 an hour I think

Fire1985 wrote: »
    €20 an hour I think

Thanks for that (x7):D

Just thinking there, what would be best to wear under my kit when im on my 3 wk course, jeans or tracksuit pants?
    Is there any other little tips on what to bring with me, extra thick socks maybe?

• Advertisement

Just thinking there, what would be best to wear under my kit when im on my 3 wk course, jeans or tracksuit pants?
    Is there any other little tips on what to bring with me, extra thick socks maybe?

Ok no jeans anyway. You'll pass out with the heat and sweat.

You'll need cotton tracksuit bottoms and t shirts.

Some brigades insist on long sleeve t shirts especially in b.a but that's up to them . Comfy sports socks and tuck ur tracksuit bottoms into socks under boots and leggings to stop bottoms slipping up ur leg.

Drink berocca everyday too and don't stop drinking water and eating well during training

Advertisement