Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph Duffy Discussion Thread **May Contain Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

darced wrote: »
    I have plenty experience myself and I think you are letting your bias creep in there with Conor,what we've seen of his top game has been impressive but his guard and submissions not so much,he would not want to be going to the ground with Duffy.

Paddy I know from watching him for years has a really tricky guard but it seems to be getting less effective at a higher level.

Duffy seems to submit guys quickly once it hits the mat and lots of times in transition which is a good thing,maybe he will be put on his back and not look so good but so far he seems a sniper with his submission game.

I agree. From a pure BJJ perspective he might not be very high level, but he absolutely is for MMA. He's really strong in scrambles and oppurtunistic submissions in an MMA context.

He submitted Norman Parke years ago, among other scalps (McGregor etc.).

From a purist's perspective his grappling game mightn't be very comprehensive, but in terms of MMA it's very good.

I have plenty experience myself and I think you are letting your bias creep in there with Conor,what we've seen of his top game has been impressive but his guard and submissions not so much,he would not want to be going to the ground with Duffy.

Paddy I know from watching him for years has a really tricky guard but it seems to be getting less effective at a higher level.

Duffy seems to submit guys quickly once it hits the mat and lots of times in transition which is a good thing,maybe he will be put on his back and not look so good but so far he seems a sniper with his submission game.

I agree. From a pure BJJ perspective he might not be very high level, but he absolutely is for MMA. He's really strong in scrambles and oppurtunistic submissions in an MMA context.

From a purist's perspective his grappling game mightn't be very comprehensive, but in terms of MMA it's very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I don't know how anyone could question Joe's grappling going from what he's done so far. He seems to come out on top in almost every take down attempt either shaking it off or turning the resulting scramble to his advantage. His striking is probably elite level but his grappling is pretty damned good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

This post has been deleted.

How many times have you seen Conor roll? His guard is great, to be honest. Isn't gonna be spending too much time on his back looking for subs in an MMA fight though, for obvious reasons. He's also not a guard centric player. He's a guard passer. On bottom, like to make space and work for sweeps or scrambles to come top. He didn't get a brown belt for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Don't want to too far off topic here, but I think McGregor played a very good defensive gaurd against Mendes. Were his gaurd not so good, Mendes would have finished him in the second. McGregor did a very good job in limiting the damage he was taking. Every time Mendes was moving up to set up an elbow attack, McGregor was lifting his hips or bridging to increase the distance between them.

He was up against the best wrestler and one of the best GNP guys in the division and he managed to survive because he used his gaurd so intelligently. . Granted, he was stuck in a less than favourable position for most of the round but pretty much anyone else would have been finished in that position.
    I know Duffy is more submission oriented than Mendes but point still stands with reference to his gaurd.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's all relative. Against the best in the division, he acquitted himself very well IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Gumbi wrote: »

How do we know his grappling isn't very comprehensive? To my knowledge he hasn't competed in pure BJJ and there are no videos of him rolling with anyone of note. What we have seen in MMA has been extremely impressive, and he's brought his skills into the cage a lot better than some highly decorated grapplers have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

John_D80 wrote: »
    Don't want to too far off topic here, but I think McGregor played a very good defensive gaurd against Mendes. Were his gaurd not so good, Mendes would have finished him in the second. McGregor did a very good job in limiting the damage he was taking. Every time Mendes was moving up to set up an elbow attack, McGregor was lifting his hips or bridging to increase the distance between them.

He was up against the best wrestler and one of the best GNP guys in the division and he managed to survive because he used his gaurd so intelligently. . Granted, he was stuck in a less than favourable position for most of the round but pretty much anyone else would have been finished in that position.
    I know Duffy is more submission oriented than Mendes but point still stands with reference to his gaurd.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's all relative. Against the best in the division, he acquitted himself very well IMHO.

Won't claim any great level of expertise, as I am an armchair mma follower but I thought that while mcgregor did fine on bottom it was his offense with those wicked elbows that slowed down mendes on the ground

Tox56 wrote: »
    How do we know his grappling isn't very comprehensive? To my knowledge he hasn't competed in pure BJJ and there are no videos of him rolling with anyone of note. What we have seen in MMA has been extremely impressive, and he's brought his skills into the cage a lot better than some highly decorated grapplers have

Well he has never shown it, so we can't assume he has it. The lack of a BJJ pedigree would indicate this to be unlikely too.

> What we have seen in MMA has been extremely impressive, and he's brought his skills into the cage a lot better than some highly decorated grapplers have

I completely agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Gumbi wrote: »
    Well he has never shown it, so we can't assume he has it. The lack of a BJJ pedigree would indicate this to be unlikely too.

> What we have seen in MMA has been extremely impressive, and he's brought his skills into the cage a lot better than some highly decorated grapplers have

I completely agree...

I think it's a hard judgment to make, mma is different to pure bjj, it is entirely possible his bjj is of an average to good lvl compare to pure bjj comp, but his hands and grappling/wrestling put I'm in a favourable position to maximise on his skills, it's not a slight to say that either I think after all it is mixed martial arts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement

I wasn't as impressed,Mendes was happy to sit in guard and pound away while Conor was stuck asking the ref for a stand up when Mendes was clearly doing enough to keep it there.

Conor opened his guard twice and got passed straight away the first time and passed into half guard and straight into trouble with the choke the second time.
    A good closed guard player gets the fight stood up or forces a scramble much quicker.

I could be being harsh on him but I was expecting something a bit better and as you say Mendes is no joke on top.

Duffy might yet get the wrestling treatment but I think he will be better off his back.

The truth is that in this thread your valid observations will never be acknowledged.

But I agree with you. Conor looked extremely vulnerable on his back and was far too easy to take down for anyone who can shoot effectively.

Give Mendes a full camp and I think Conor had a much bigger problem on his hands

But hey, that's just me.

I think Joe has looked far more comfortable in the grapple so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I absolutely get what your saying, and I agree in a way actually. But I think it's a case of looking at the quality of the opponent as much as at the ability and skillset of the fighter.

Against a wrestler of the calibre of Mendes, your getting taken down and your going to be in that uncomfortable position with elbows raining down, simple as, whether you're Joe Duffy or Conor McGregor. It's just a case of how you deal with. And I think McGregor did as well as anyone could and better than most. If he had got dominated on the ground by someone like Bermudez then there would be legit questions asked about his ground game, but against Mendes I really do think it was a strong and conservative gaurd that kept him in the fight when things got tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor looked extremely vulnerable on his back and was far too easy to take down for anyone who can shoot effectively.

I love the way you are equating Mendes' abilities with "anyone who can shoot effectively".

The only thing that Mendes' TDs proved is that Edgar can take him down. Those two are the best grapplers in the division and getting taken down by either proves little imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

He also stuffed 2 takedowns by Mendes.

That's 2 more than I expected him to stop. I thought his takedown defence was fairly impressive given the level of wrestling Mendes brings and that's not even mentioning the fact that he had a knee injury in the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DrPhilG wrote: »
    He also stuffed 2 takedowns by Mendes.

That's 2 more than I expected him to stop. I thought his takedown defence was fairly impressive given the level of wrestling Mendes brings and that's not even mentioning the fact that he had a knee injury in the run in.

And the fact that he probably trained very little wrestling defence his whole camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anyone still following duffy? Any news on him, this thread is gone very quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

He turned down a fight at UFC Belfast. Wants a ranked fighter on a good card. Has one fight left on his contract, so is seemingly considering pulling a Rory McDonald.

Saipanne wrote: »
    He turned down a fight at UFC Belfast. Wants a ranked fighter on a good card. Has one fight left on his contract, so is seemingly considering pulling a Rory McDonald.

Yeah I remember he turned down that Belfast fight. I was disappointed in him for that, if he wants to start getting paid more he should have came to Ireland, put on an amazing show in front of his home crowd and then started calling people out. Joe should be trying to get more Irish behind him, he hurt himself by not taking that fight in Belfast.

Yeah I remember he turned down that Belfast fight. I was disappointed in him for that, if he wants to start getting paid more he should have came to Ireland, put on an amazing show in front of his home crowd and then started calling people out. Joe should be trying to get more Irish behind him, he hurt himself by not taking that fight in Belfast.

They were throwing him a tin can, though. He has proved that he can mow down any unranked fighter. He should be given another shot at a 10th-15th ranked guy. Or at least an up and coming guy.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    They were throwing him a tin can, though. He has proved that he can mow down any unranked fighter. He should be given another shot at a 10th-15th ranked guy. Or at least an up and coming guy.

Squash the can in front of the Irish crowd and gain a bigger fanbase in his home country. Walk out with an Irish flag and try get the Irish a bit on his side, he needs to get some PR lessons from Conor :pac:

Fighting some unranked nobody is a no win situation. Even if he smashes him, he was expected to. If he beats a ranked fighter he rises in the rankings and has a stronger position to argue his new contract from.

Accepting the fight they offered him would have been idiocy. He was right to tell them to go do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Where does that leave him now though? He's still contracted to them so he can't jump ship just yet. The UFC are probably perfectly happy to leave him rot on the vine just to keep him away from the likes of Bellator. Had he taken the fight just to fight out the contract at least he could leave the organisation.

Where does that leave him now though? He's still contracted to them so he can't jump ship just yet. The UFC are probably perfectly happy to leave him rot on the vine just to keep him away from the likes of Bellator. Had he taken the fight just to fight out the contract at least he could leave the organisation.

I'd be pretty certain that the UFC can't leave him "rot on the vine". Surely a condition of his contract is that they must offer him a fight. They could trap all fighters in the UFC, if they could do what you imply.

His current contract is a 6 month 1 fight extension to his previous contract. If they don't find him e a fight by March he can start fielding offers form other organisations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

They will punish him now with a hard fight I reckon some heavy wrestler or something.

Gamebred wrote: »
    They will punish him now with a hard fight I reckon some heavy wrestler or something.

That's what he wants though. He wants a fight against a top 10 guy to make up for the Porier fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Yeah I know but seriously hope he has improved his grappling Poirier took him down at ease 2 fights ago and his next one was over very quick so we didnt get to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

@danawhite on Twitter is a good place to let Dana know Irish people would like to see joe get a decent fight fairly soon.

Joe needs to stop with the humble nicy nice persona and start to speak out a bit. It may help him talk his way into higher profile fights and more money.

• Advertisement

@danawhite on Twitter is a good place to let Dana know Irish people would like to see joe get a decent fight fairly soon.

Joe needs to stop with the humble nicy nice persona and start to speak out a bit. It may help him talk his way into higher profile fights and more money.

You must have missed his last interviw with Ariel Helwani so. Was very forward with what he wants, what is going on and what his plans are.

Advertisement