Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joseph Duffy Discussion Thread **May Contain Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

You must have missed his last interviw with Ariel Helwani so. Was very forward with what he wants, what is going on and what his plans are.

I missed it. Could you fill us in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

He doesn't need to be extra witty or anything he should just start calling out other fighters saying he thinks he could beat them comfortably. He should even call out McGregor. Even though he wouldn't get that fight it may put his name in the headlines at least.

He doesn't need to be extra witty or anything he should just start calling out other fighters saying he thinks he could beat them comfortably. He should even call out McGregor. Even though he wouldn't get that fight it may put his name in the headlines at least.

Exactly, the UFC is an entertainment business at the end of the day. You have too sell yourself and he doesn't seem to have any interest in doing any of the PR work (which is what brings in the money). If Joe wants to start making money he needs to start making smarter PR decisions. Yes his fight in Belfast wouldn't have done anything for him in the Rankings but he might have got a good few new Irish supporters and he could have smashed the tin can he was being offered in Belfast and then call a bigger guy out.

I mean come on, I know he is no Conor Mcgregor when it comes to selling himself but surely he learned something from watching McGoats rise to fame? SELL YOURSELF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Closed mouth dont get fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Exactly, the UFC is an entertainment business at the end of the day. You have too sell yourself and he doesn't seem to have any interest in doing any of the PR work (which is what brings in the money). If Joe wants to start making money he needs to start making smarter PR decisions. Yes his fight in Belfast wouldn't have done anything for him in the Rankings but he might have got a good few new Irish supporters and he could have smashed the tin can he was being offered in Belfast and then call a bigger guy out.

I mean come on, I know he is no Conor Mcgregor when it comes to selling himself but surely he learned something from watching McGoats rise to fame? SELL YOURSELF

I see your point, and agree with it somewhat, but it's not necessarily a requirement to be a loud mouth. The likes of GSP became famous in the merit of their fighting alone without really engaging in "trash talk".

If Joe had won against Poirier he would have shot up the rankings, and at that time he was still the last man to beat McGregor so the push would have been huge, and that's without calling out anyone.

I do agree though at this point he should start calling people out because the Poirier fight was a big anti climax for him. But it was a great fight and he bounced back with a win in 25 seconds.

If I was matchmaker I'd put him up against the likes of Lauzon or Sanchez now maybe even Miller. Someone who'll give him a war. Because the heart he showed in the Poirier fight was huge. If the UFC want to push him it should be as the humble character he is, yet with the warrior never say die attitude he showed against Poirier.

And who knows, if he improves TDD and his bottom game to compete with the top guys we could eventually have an all Irish title fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

I'm a bit perplexed as to why the UFC seem to have lost interest in him. He is talented and has been impressive in his fights.

I'm a bit perplexed as to why the UFC seem to have lost interest in him. He is talented and has been impressive in his fights.

He's no longer the last man to beat McGregor has a lot to do with it I'd say.

Having said that, 3 first round finishes and a loss in an absolute war, he definitely has potential to be a fan favourite.

If, and it's a big if, he eventually gets a rematch against McGregor it could be huge. Modest and quiet against brash and loud. I'd say they were hoping he'd smash Poirier and get high up on the lightweight rankings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'm a bit perplexed as to why the UFC seem to have lost interest in him.

They haven't lost interest in him, they just know if they give him some nobody for his final fight he has no bargaining position in new contract negotiations so they will put off giving him a real fight until they have to.
    He's 100% right to hold out because he's in a no win position.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah I know but seriously hope he has improved his grappling Poirier took him down at ease 2 fights ago and his next one was over very quick so we didnt get to see it.
    Porrier is a decent jiu jitsu brown-belt and chains takedowns well. So shame getting taking down by him imo.
    Porrier grappling was touted as the reason he'd beat McGregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Saipanne wrote: »

to be fair to duffy, fighting out his contract and going down the bellator route could be his best option, can see him doing well there, him v chandler would be an interesting fight actually

Depp wrote: »
    to be fair to duffy, fighting out his contract and going down the bellator route could be his best option, can see him doing well there, him v chandler would be an interesting fight actually

That would be a great fight I'd say, how much would you say he'd have to do to get a title shot in Bellator? Win a last UFC fight and then straight into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Django99 wrote: »
    That would be a great fight I'd say, how much would you say he'd have to do to get a title shot in Bellator? Win a last UFC fight and then straight into it?

3 or 4 wins in a row if he's asking for it and he'll get a title shot.

But those 3 or 4 wins would have to include one or two of Bendo, Josh Thompson, Anderson and Patricky Pitbull.

I reckon they'd give him a fight against one of their gate keepers to the top 5 and then start pairing against the likes of Thompson if he does well.

Django99 wrote: »

id say hed need a win or two in bellator to get it but you never know, can see them giving him a nice contract, with the right promotion hed be brilliant for bellator to tap into the huge irish fanbase thats after popping up recently

3 or 4 wins in a row if he's asking for it and he'll get a title shot.

But those 3 or 4 wins would have to include one or two of Bendo, Josh Thompson, Anderson and Patricky Pitbull.

I reckon they'd give him a fight against one of their gate keepers to the top 5 and then start pairing against the likes of Thompson if he does well.

maybe its the irish bias but i can see him doing well against those guys, think he'd be a great addition to the top end of the roster either way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Story about him on the front page of MMAfighting.com right now
    It appears as though Joseph Duffy's UFC hiatus is about to come to an end.

According to multiple sources, the popular Irishman has recently come to terms with the organization on his future. The agreement: Duffy will be able to fight out his contract and test the free-agent market next year, after all. He has not agreed to a new deal with the promotion.

Duffy, who currently has one fight left on his deal, is expected to make his return to the Octagon in early 2017. It's unclear at this time who he will be fighting and where.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

He probably should have just fought the gurnik at Belfast while carrying out the tricolour and have another first round finish to his name.

Doubt he'll be fighting anyone half decent whenever he does eventually fight. There's a FN in england in March so he could well be on the main card for that.

At least if he fought at Belfast he could have drummed up a bit of Irish support and he'd be testing free agency already. He's a very good fighter and it's not beyond a possibility that if he stays in the UFC and gets a few wins to his name that he'd be given a red panty night of his own. McGregor Duffy II wouldn't be as big as Diaz II, obviously, but it would definitely sell big!

Saying that if he feels the contract in the UFC doesn't suit him then all the best to him in Bellator. There's some cracking matches over there for him too. I still think if I were him though I'd have taken the fight in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It's a pity, I like Joe. Very good fighter who could've been top 15 material in the UFC.

I looked it up and see he's on a 20 + 20 contract. If he thinks the UFC want him to fight a low ranked guy and offer him a similar contract, I can see why he's pissed. But at the same time, he hasn't done a lot in the UFC yet in terms of beating high calibre guys, and he'll have to become a top contender in Bellator to earn as much or more. Generally speaking though, these guys get paid pennies.

It's a pity, I like Joe. Very good fighter who could've been top 15 material in the UFC.

I looked it up and see he's on a 20 + 20 contract. If he thinks the UFC want him to fight a low ranked guy and offer him a similar contract, I can see why he's pissed. But at the same time, he hasn't done a lot in the UFC yet in terms of beating high calibre guys, and he'll have to become a top contender in Bellator to earn as much or more. Generally speaking though, these guys get paid pennies.

Can only beat whats in front of him, hes dispatched 3 of them by first round ko the other was a good war with Poirier, UFC has mismanaged him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Absolutely, I'm not siding with the UFC here. Just saying that although I think he's a top 15-20 guy he's only had one chance to prove that and fell short. He should 100% be getting paid more though, regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Gamebred wrote: »
    Can only beat whats in front of him, hes dispatched 3 of them by first round ko the other was a good war with Poirier, UFC has mismanaged him.

And that Porrier fight ended with Dustin caught in a triangle. Saved by the bell decision for Dustin, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

He's fighting Reza Madadi in London to a source on twitter that i've never saw before. Awful fight for him if true. A lose lose situation. Win over Madadi does nothing for him. Him against someone like Michael Chiesa or Will Brooks cold have even co-mained the card.

Im happy hes on the card anyways looking forward to him ko'ing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I think he has to make a stand on wages. Not an ideal situation fighting for tiny purses for the tallent and sacrifice he puts in. Yes Pourier caught him but there is only one fighter undefeated in this sport let's not forget that. I think that if Duffy were matched against a top 15 contender in his next fight he would have made a name for himself. But he hasn't. The UFC are afraid of losing financial control of their fighters and therefore could be matching the likes of joe against smaller ones. Anyway, I hope he does really well at bellator. Duffy made a very honest point too about not being able to offer showmanship that the UFC seems to be more about now. This is a huge point. The sport is as much about press conferences now than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's not going to be any different over in Bellator though. They love a freak show hype machine even more than the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

eddie73 wrote: »
    Yes Pourier caught him but there is only one fighter undefeated in this sport let's not forget that

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes Pourier caught him but there is only one fighter undefeated in this sport let's not forget that.

603_Mickey_Gall.0.0.jpg

#NeverForget

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Sorry I was talking lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Sorry I was talking lightweight.

Assume you're referring to Khabib, without doing any research Josh Emmet who fought the weekend is unbeaten for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I could imagine the fact that the UFCs biggest star,McG, doesn't like him also plays a part in how he's treated by the UFC

Advertisement