Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps in turf pile-Any suggestions?

Options
  • 07-01-2015 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,
    I've a large pile of turf at the side of the house for winter fuel and I'm finding a lot of large wasps hiding in the turf. We don't always see them as we're bringing in the turf but they seem to wake up after coming into the warm house and are causing a problem stinging everyone in sight.
    I'm seeing at least 6 or 7 a night and they are big big wasps. Does anyone have any suggestions as to have to deal with these?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sounds like they are hibernating queens perhaps. Seems like a large number though. Can you pile your turf in another position perhaps and check for wasps as you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

YOU should burn them out !

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Is there some way you could lay out a batch where it would get hit by a good frost before you bring them in. That should kill off most of them. It's expected to get cold again towards the end of next week, but you'd need a dry night and a sharp frost.

They're almost certainly hibernating queens that have found a cozy spot in your turf. Spraying with something probably isn't really practical or smart.

Advertisement