Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dole and courses

Options
  • 07-01-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I recently signed on the dole its my first time on it and I was wondering what courses are the best to do? The fas website is far to hard to understand so im confussed about the whole thing. I also cant find courses in my area. I was just looking for some advice from people who have done fas courses or similar ones. Did you find them helpful and was it easy to get employment from them? Any advice will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Firstly most Fas courses tend to be slow paced and if you are reasonably fast learner you will find it boring.just to let u know.
    Also please note that most courses (my local ones anyway) have long waiting lists. For example my local welding course that starts mid February have 12 places available and 180 applicants,some of them applied for course last january

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wabbit101

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Firstly most Fas courses tend to be slow paced and if you are reasonably fast learner you will find it boring.just to let u know.
    Also please note that most courses (my local ones anyway) have long waiting lists. For example my local welding course that starts mid February have 12 places available and 180 applicants,some of them applied for course last january

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to visit my local fas and see what they recommend. . Do you know of any other kind of courses I could take not with fas and still be able to receive my JA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Check with your local ETB (VEC) adult education service. BTEI courses can be done part-time and don't affect your JS. Its also possible to do many full-time courses and receive a BTEA or VTOS allowance instead of your jobseekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wabbit101

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Check with your local ETB (VEC) adult education service. BTEI courses can be done part-time and don't affect your JS. Its also possible to do many full-time courses and receive a BTEA or VTOS allowance instead of your jobseekers.

Thanks for advice. Where would I be able to find out about courses that I could get a btea or vtos allowance for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Your local ETB (VEC) should have an adult guidance service that can help you with this. Contact details for all AEGI services are here: http://www.aegai.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement