Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child travelling to UK

• 07-01-2015 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've got a dilemma.
    My kid sister (15yrs) has just contacted me, saying she'll be going to the UK for a dance school thing in June.
    Problem is, she doesn't have a passport.
    Even worse problem is, she more than likely wouldn't be able to get one in time for the event. Let's just say the passport forms (according to the sister, I'll have to double check this tomorrow myself) require the father's signature, despite him being separated from (not divorced) from the sister's mother (whom she's been living with) and has been off the radar and incommunicado for over a decade. Last time she did have a passport, it took months and months of hassle for the mother to get it.

Basically, I've been looking at airline websites and the Department of Foreign Affairs, and they say a child does not need a passport to go to the UK from Ireland. While that seems like good news on the surface, a key detail caught my mind: that they only need be on the parent's passport. Thing is, the mother will not be travelling with the sister. Does this mean the sister definitely can't go? What if I were to go, as her older sibling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

before you didn't need your passport for the ferry, not sure now. you do for Ryanair flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

thadg wrote: »
    before you didn't need your passport for the ferry, not sure now. you do for Ryanair flights

Ferry wouldn't be an option, the event is happening in London. FYI, I haven't flown before myself, so all this is new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I could be wrong but is it not a different application for just a renewal?

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but is it not a different application for just a renewal?

I'll have to check that out, hopefully a renewal means no hassle having to get the passport minus the father's signature, or at least less hassle than the first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Don't fly with Ryanair, fly with Aerlingus
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4568

or just take the ferry and bus/train to London.

• Advertisement

Don't fly with Ryanair, fly with Aerlingus
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4568

or just take the ferry and bus/train to London.

Ferry+Bus+Train is not an option, it's being done through the school and they say a plane. Also Sheldon, the link you gave only told me the problem I outlined in the OP - it mentions a child can fly without a passport, but only if with a parent/guardian.
    My question is - does this definitely mean that without the mother, the sister cannot travel (by plane)?

Advertisement