Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football results database

• 07-01-2015 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I recently built a database of all the EPL results since the start of the league (it took about 3 weeks to get the results correctly formatted and checked). I am trying to establish if formulae for the prediction of results in other sports can be translated into soccer.

It turns out that they can, but I need a larger sample set (I only have about 8000 matches, but I reckon that I need about 100,000 matches).

I am wondering if anybody would know where there is an existing database of English league matches, and FA/League Cup matches, since 1886?

Thanks,

Clauric

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

You could try RSSSSF or whatever it's called. It has a lot of Ss in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

You could try RSSSSF or whatever it's called. It has a lot of Ss in it.

RSSSF has only the league results for the last few years. Very few results from lower divisions earlier than 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Clauric wrote: »
    I recently built a database of all the EPL results since the start of the league (it took about 3 weeks to get the results correctly formatted and checked). I am trying to establish if formulae for the prediction of results in other sports can be translated into soccer.

It turns out that they can, but I need a larger sample set (I only have about 8000 matches, but I reckon that I need about 100,000 matches).

I am wondering if anybody would know where there is an existing database of English league matches, and FA/League Cup matches, since 1886?

Thanks,

Clauric

Wow, you willing to share it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Would the FA themselves be able to help you?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Would the FA themselves be able to help you?

I sent them an email before Christmas, but they have yet to get back to me. I'll give them a shout, again, over the weekend.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Wow, you willing to share it?

It is not perfected yet, as the sample data is too small. Currently the coefficients are off by a magnitude, and the larger the sample, the more accurate the coefficients get (hopefully). I might post a summary later, if I can get it to work correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

What is this for? Uni Project or betting?

What is this for? Uni Project or betting?

Fun.

Also trying to see if it is possible to replicate the formulae in other sports in soccer. The reason for using the FA is that it is the one I'm most familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Wikipedia

Search YYYY-YY Football League, where YYYY is the first calendar year of the season, and YY is the last 2 digits of the second calendar year

*edit*

In fact they're all up there, every single result in the football league from the first season in 1988-89 to the present day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thanks,

Clauric

You mean something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E2%80%9392_Football_League#First_Division_results

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

COYVB wrote: »
    Wikipedia

Search YYYY-YY Football League, where YYYY is the first calendar year of the season, and YY is the last 2 digits of the second calendar year

*edit*

In fact they're all up there, every single result in the football league from the first season in 1988-89 to the present day

Football existed before 1988!!! :pac:

Facking n00bz

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

You can get both from statto.com, but it would be a grueling task as you have to click on the date to get the results on that day for every matchday.

Football League 1888/89
    http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/football-league/1888-1889/results

FA Cup 1871/72
    http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/fa-cup/1871-1872/results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

MRPRO03 wrote: »
    You can get both from statto.com, but it would be a grueling task as you have to click on the date to get the results on that day for every matchday.

Football League 1888/89
    http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/football-league/1888-1889/results

FA Cup 1871/72
    http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/fa-cup/1871-1872/results

OP could possibly write a macro to do that for him I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Or get in touch and see if they have an API that he could use, they might even give him access to the data. Long shot but worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Advertisement