Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Skills

Options
  • 07-01-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

" A person who has multiple degrees in your field isn't always better than someone who has broad experience and a great personality" - Richard Branson

Saw this quote and wondered what people would consider to be essential life skills.

Sorry if similar post exists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Justjens wrote: »
    Common sense

Agree but problem with common sense is it's not that common ...

Also

Decent manners

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How to drive and basic car maintenance. Cooking, sewing and diy skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Good manners, specifically, Try to use the person's name when taking to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From Chesterton who related the story of the English clergyman who gave the last rites to a Sicilian brigand , and how on his death-bed the great robber said, 'I can give you no money, but I can give you advice for a lifetime: your thumb on the blade, and strike upwards.'
    ie be fearless and to strike as if you strike at the stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The ability to be honest with yourself. It really is the cornerstone of self-improvement.

Trying or achieving some kind of mastery over your emotions.

Being there for your kids. (maybe not a skill in the strictest sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Knowing when you are beaten and asking for assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ability to read & write. This comes above all else. If you can read, you can learn absolutely anything else you want.

Ability to cook and dress yourself properly.

Ability/license to drive several types of vehicle.

Some idea about navigation, either in a city context (using public services) or out in the wild (compass, map reading etc).

Ability to shoot. I know this won't be a popular one in Ireland, but of the people who can shoot and know how to load/unload safely, and those who can't shoot, I know which group I prefer to be in.

Ability to swim.

Those are the one's I intend to teach my children. We'll see how we go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm a 50 year old man and have never learned to drive. I have always lived and worked either in or close to the city centre and never needed driving skills for work. I did have a motorbike at one stage but had to give it up after thieving scum stole it twice and wrote it off.

I'd like to be able to drive but have no incentive to do so at the moment, especially with Dublin traffic as it is.

I've also never been able to tie a proper Windsor tie knot. Since I do have to wear a tie occasionally at work this is a minor inconvenience. I can knot a tie but it's always just that little bit.....off.

On the plus side, I've done quite a bit of self defence training and could probably knock someone unconscious if nececessary. And I can cook a decent chicken pasta carbonara...though the sauce has to come ready made.

I reckon I'm about three quarters of a real man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Everlong1 wrote: »
    And I can cook a decent chicken pasta carbonara...though the sauce has to come ready made.

So you can boil pasta... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Learning to drive and swim. The ability to cook and look after yourself and good manners, which are easy carried.

smash wrote: »
    So you can boil pasta... :pac:

Yeah? AND ?

I cook the chicken in a wok and everything!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I think there should be a class in secondary school to teach basic life skills. For example: how to cook a few healthy meals, how to sew a button, how to change a tyre, how to write a decent cover letter, how to change a plug, how to do a basic household budget... Things that are ever so slightly more practical than Honours Maths. :P

And everyone should know how to swim. Very important, I think.

I think there should be a class in secondary school to teach basic life skills. For example: how to cook a few healthy meals, how to sew a button, how to change a tyre, how to write a decent cover letter, how to change a plug, how to do a basic household budget... Things that are ever so slightly more practical than Honours Maths. :P

Like home ec for men! :D

Like home ec for men! :D

And women! My mammy wouldn't let me do it for JC or LC.

And women! My mammy wouldn't let me do it for JC or LC.

What's an Honours level Leaving Cert Home Ec exam like?

"You have 1 hour to make a Michelin star 7 course tasting menu"

What's an Honours level Leaving Cert Home Ec exam like?

"You have 1 hour to make a Michelin star 7 course tasting menu"

Pretty sure it's intricate biology of food combined with detailed knowledge on the inner workings of a blender... that's what I saw in my friend's notes anyway!

Why, as a matter of interest? I know we're an island nation and all that but unless you have a job that entails being on a boat or some other marine related activity you should be able to avoid drowning with ease.

I can swim by the way - no fancy backstrokes or anything but I can move through the water at a reasonable rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

How to survive with nothing

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Why, as a matter of interest? I know we're an island nation and all that but unless you have a job that entails being on a boat or some other marine related activity you should be able to avoid drowning with ease.

I can swim by the way - no fancy backstrokes or anything but I can move through the water at a reasonable rate.

I just think it's important, unless you intend to avoid water for your whole life. It's useful for leisure purposes as well as safety ones.

One of the best things my parents did was get me into the water from a relatively young age, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The knowledge that just because someone is junior to you in a work sense does not make you smarter than them. Be able to identify good advice/ideas regardless of the source. I have found this to be a very uncommon trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,756 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think the best life skills you can work on is patience and tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Being self aware would be a good starting point for any person.

On some points that have been mentioned, I wouldn't consider the ability to drive a car as being a crucial life skill. Literacy on the other hand most certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Manners maketh the man.

The ability to be polite and say please and thank you. If it's the one thing my kids will carry with them it will be this.

The ability to make small talk and to be comfortable in the company of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

organisational skills. some modicum of team leading skills be able to set a schedule of work for a 4 man team, I would think would be more of a life skill for branson.

A respect for money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

How to
    ....drive
    ....swim
    ....perform CPR
    ....negotiate (properly!)
    ....teach / instruct (everyone has something they can teach someone else)
    ....speak with confidence and competence in public
    ....cook a decent 3-course meal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭lau1247

Timekeeping.. Most people now days don't have this essential skill at all

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Critical thinking skills and a sound knowledge of personal finance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Communication - all different types.
    Learning about and understanding human nature.
    Cultivating optimism and resolve.
    Finding joy in the little things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

This already exists its just a combination of a number of different subjects. You learn all this stuff except the tyre and more in home ec, guidance counselling, science and business.

Advertisement