Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergraduate Computer science course

Options
  • 07-01-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

hi,

im looking to do computer science next year, in the LC i should hopefully reach high 400 which will put most courses in my grasp. I am located in South Dublin and am wondering what is the best course to do. I understand best is a broad term and it depends what one is looking for, im not really too interested in reputation e.g TCD. Im looking to become self employed and hopefully make a start up business in the coming years. What is the best course for overall programming knowlede, originally i was thinking computer science and business in TCD but now am hearing it is quite theoretical.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

Computer Applications in DCU is supposed to be very tough but very good.

I've been to DCU (multimedia) and UCD (computer science).

Although I didn't do comp sci in DCU I was in contact with some of the lecturers in that school and they were very impressive and willing to help.

The lecturers in UCD were a lot more distant for example some of them avoided attending workshops - assume they were too busy with their research (I definitely got the impression they saw lecturing as a "side job" ).

That's my two cents I'm sure people have had different experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

thanks for the input! I read a few other threads and it seems DCU is what I want to pick, goes straight to the core, hard core but if you wanna be self-employed thats what you want. I need to be leaving college with the best knowledge and skills i can, however, DCU is unfortunately a good 90 minute bus ride from my house. If i manage to get some morning lectures that early morning wake-up will destroy me, especially trying to stick it for 4 years,

Trinity would be the handiest for me to get to via bus, i asked people there and they say its good but then again they have nothing to contrast it with.

as for UCD not a clue so far except for what you told me

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

From a learning point of view i dont need special help off any lecturers also, If i have a problem google and youtube are my friend. However what would be great is just someone with good knowledge that i can come to and just discuss my business ideas and send them on some code/problems i have and they would be willing to help out.

Thanks

Advertisement