Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athiests - Who cares

• 08-01-2015 2:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭

Had a friend going around telling the whole local pub he is an athiest after a few jars. I know another Athiest who loves telling people that he is an athiest and going on about how he has been arguing about his wife about baptising the child and keeps bringing it up. I don't care if you are an athiest just please stay quiet about it! How are your athiest friends?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

The thing is, you'll find dickheads in all shapes and sizes, religious, non-religious, those who think they're atheist, those who are etc etc

I've always found the common denominator is that they're people. It therefore follows that some people are just dickheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

None of them are that extreme.

But then none of them are so extreme that they shoot up the church during Sunday mass either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

How are your athiest friends?

Dyslexic probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

We're not all like Ricky Gervais, y'know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm an atheist but not a twat about it. If I was, I'd start a forum on boards for me and other atheists to hang out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

If you believe in God, fine.
    If you belive in evolution, fine.
    If you believe in Miley Cyrus being our twerking supreme leader.. Fine too.

Just whatever you do, don't be a dick about it.

We all have the right to believe in what we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Atheists sometimes feel that the notion of a deity is almost humorous. They then proceed to tell everyone about their lack of beliefs. It's kind of like believing in Santa to them. I personally stopped believing in an afterlife and a superior being around the age of 12. And, embarrassingly, I did go through this phase. For me, it was more about finding people with the same outlook as me. And getting a bit of a laugh at others expense too :o

Some atheists also may want to start conversation about the topic with others- its scary to believe in nothing, the idea of eternal nothingness is something that some people like to talk about with others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

[YTB]pxwVr_jQsBY[/YTB]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Atheism is flawed logic as it rules out the possibility of the unexplained and as any scientist will tell you their whole life is devoted to the unexplained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I also know someone who blames Israel for 9/11 and others who blame the government for every little thing. It gets worse after a few jars. People are people and some are more vocal than others, especially if they're angry or passionate about something, or after a few pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I'm an atheist, but try not to be a dick about it. I don't want religion shoved down my neck, so I expect others don't want my beliefs shoved down their necks either. No all atheists are dicks - just the dicks.

kneemos wrote: »
    Atheism is flawed logic as it rules out the possibility of the unexplained and as any scientist will tell you their whole life is devoted to the unexplained.
    I'd be interested if you could find an atheist who agrees with that point of view.

Atheism is flawed logic as it rules out the possibility of the unexplained...

It does not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Atheism is flawed logic as it rules out the possibility of the unexplained ..

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Introduce him to the world of fedora hats next time he starts.
    Level 5 atheists are eligible.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    It does not.

Does so.

Does so.

You got me. Can't argue with that!

:)

3rdDegree wrote: »
    You got me. Can't argue with that!

:)

I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I know many atheists who never mention it at all. Even after pints.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Well, I'm not an atheist...or am I?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Atheism and agnosticism are the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

How are your athiest friends?

They're grand. Although they are going to burn in the fires of hell for eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Like rashers and sausages!!!

Mwahahahahhaha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Nope Nigg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Correct. You either believe in something or you don't. Even if your opinion is that you can never know for sure one way or another, you still either believe in that thing or you don't - no in between exists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm a faithiest.

I'm the faithiest, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't care if you are an athiest just please stay quiet about it! How are your athiest friends?

You don't care yet you made a thread wanting to know more?

COYVB wrote: »
    Correct. You either believe in something or you don't. Even if your opinion is that you can never know for sure one way or another, you still either believe in that thing or you don't - no in between exists
    Eh, you nearly had it there for a second, you might want to consult a dictionary. Theism concerns belief, and Gnosticism knowledge, they're orthogonal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

KungPao wrote: »
    Well, I'm not an atheist...or am I?

Is the cat alive or is it dead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

TheChizler wrote: »
    Eh, you nearly had it there for a second, you might want to consult a dictionary. Theism concerns belief, and Gnosticism knowledge, they're orthogonal.

They're not used that way in terms of religion though. Practically everyone who uses the word agnostic regarding religion uses it as a cop out alternative to theist or atheist. In that context athiest and agnostic are the same thing: non-believer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Turtwig wrote: »
    Is the cat alive or is it dead?

I knew a cat once called Lazarus.

Probably dead now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

The worst kind of athiests are the ones who think because they don't belive in a god it makes them smarter than somebody who does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Is there an atheist version of Jehovah's witnesses?
    Knock to your door and start talking about evolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The worst kind of athiests are the ones who think because they don't belive in a god it makes them smarter than somebody who does.

The worst type of theists/deists are the type that think their magical friend is better than everyone else's magical friends. They'll even stand out in public with big placards telling everyone that if they don't believe in in their magical friend, their magical friend will get angry.

Actually the worst type are the ones that kill people because their magical friend tells them it's ok in that special magical book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I agree with you on that, and the worst kinds of religious people are the ones who murder in the name of their religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The worst kind of atheists are those that talk about it a lot and think they're smarter than everyone else. Very annoying people.
    The worst kind of theist murders and bombs those who disagrees with them or 'insults' their deity/prophet etc.
    Atheists not so bad after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

As long as those atheists aren't murdering a dozen people for blasphemy, blowing themselves up on a bus or at a wedding, travelling thousands of miles to kill or forcibly convert 'heathens', or attempting to force others to comply with their rules in society, they're still streets ahead of the worst theists, even if they are dickheads.

COYVB wrote: »
    They're not used that way in terms of religion though. Practically everyone who uses the word agnostic regarding religion uses it as a cop out alternative to theist or atheist. In that context athiest and agnostic are the same thing: non-believer

There's technically hard and soft atheism. rather than Deist - Agnostic - Atheist, there's actually a load of steps in-between. The difference between hard and soft atheism is that one absolutely denies the existence of god and the other just says there's no evidence and it's unlikely.

I don't like the while denying thing. It's only because I'm an extremely logical person. Saying there's no God is very hard to do. There is the Russell teapot analogy. If I say there's a teapot floating around the earth in an orbit between us and the moon, there's no evidence for it except for what I say. there are three ways to accept this statement

1) Accept it (Noob)
    2) State that there is no such tea pot.
    3) State that there may very well be a teapot but you've given me no reason to accept that it's there. I have no reason what so ever to believe that there's a teapot or anything like it there.

In some ways it's just semantics. Stating a refusal to believe isn't quite the same as stating a denial of existence. However when it comes to religion the result is still the same and that's atheism.

The same goes for agnosticism. There's a point where agnostics are pretty much atheists and vice versa.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes, because the likes of the Christian or Muslim faiths are just 100% logical and sensible.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

"You never turn on the news in the evening only to be greeted with the headline 'The Atheist stronghold took heavy fire and mortar shelling today from the Agnostic basecamp"
    - Doug Stanhope

• Advertisement

Scientists devote their efforts to finding answers to questions they don't know. If they didn't the pinnacle of modern science would be Aristoles physics. Unlike Christians who accept that a book written 2000 years ago is the pinnacle of knowledge.

Atheists don't rule out every possibility, just the ones with no rational backing. In fact it's generally accepted, and studies back it up, that atheists know more about religion than believers do. It's because atheists at some point started asking questions and started looking for answers. This involves actually studying religion which is not something most religious people do. If the person doesn't find answers which satisfy them, they become atheists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Atheism doesn't rule anything out. It's simply a lack of belief in deities.

You need a new dictionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I am an atheist and I have never heard of something like that. I don't try and force anything onto anyone else, unlike some other beliefs.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

nope

Akrasia wrote: »
    nope

lol, can you imagine an atheist knock knock joke?

Knock Knock
    Who's there
    Not God because he's not real

Still be better than having Richard Dawkins there. As much as i agree with most of what he says, he can be an irritating cnut sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

The worst kind of person are the ones who think they are right to the extent that they cannot accept that other people should be allowed to think/feel/act differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When I go out for pints with friends and certain relatives, I go out for lively conversation. I hate bland meaningless chit-chat, I have to put up with enough of that at work

I don't always talk about religion, i also talk about politics, current affairs, philosophy, literature, music, sport... but the best conversations are where there is a friendly disagreement between people who strongly hold opposing views.

It's a joy to be involved in a battle of wits with someone who you respect and will engage with you in a good natured discussion.

Not everyone enjoys this, and thats why 'god' invented soap operas and the x factor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Grayson wrote: »
    Scientists devote their efforts to finding answers to questions they don't know. If they didn't the pinnacle of modern science would be Aristoles physics. Unlike Christians who accept that a book written 2000 years ago is the pinnacle of knowledge.

Atheists don't rule out every possibility, just the ones with no rational backing. In fact it's generally accepted, and studies back it up, that atheists know more about religion than believers do. It's because atheists at some point started asking questions and started looking for answers. This involves actually studying religion which is not something most religious people do. If the person doesn't find answers which satisfy them, they become atheists.

Why would someone have to do that to be an atheist? Isn't it just the same as being apolitical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Grayson wrote: »
    .....In fact it's generally accepted, and studies back it up, that atheists know more about religion than believers do. It's because atheists at some point started asking questions and started looking for answers.....

This is the bit I actually find quite funny. I have no problem with Atheists really - just the vocal ones that talk about religion even more than the most religious people that I know !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Why would someone have to do that to be an atheist? Isn't it just the same as being apolitical?

Not in this country. In countries where growing up atheist is not questioned by others or discriminated against, they may not have to question the pervasive religious belief. Here, you find out the hard way. I was always atheist, so that's my story. For people who were brought up religious, I can imagine that the force feeding of said religion at home and at school led them to question why, and in what name, they were being forced to believe something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement