Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athiests - Who cares

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Ok, so he did act a bit twatish on that occasion but sometimes a bit of an argument can be a good thing, provided it is civil. The idea that causing offence by NOT simply letting religious views have their way is somehow awful needs a bit of rethinking. Older people can be set in their ways, but that does not excuse them from being challenged, politely.
    But there is such a thing as tact, which needs to be applied. The goal of a civil argument should be to expand and explore each others views, not to upset and antagonise them just for kicks.

He wouldn't have got away with that kind of talk in the 1970s! Fr Busybody would have got wind of it and sorted him right out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

smash wrote: »
    Your cousin sounds like a walking cliche.

I feel the same way about his cousin as atheists do about deities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yes, but one is a subcategory of the other, they are not the same thing.
    An example would be if you are a catholic you are a christian, that does not mean all christians are catholic. Do you get my point. The positions are not equal and do hold different meanings.
    So while both would be classed as atheist, one is a narrower definition than the other.

A good religious example would be Buddhists. It's a long running discussion about whether Buddhism is a philosophy or religion. It's actually possible for a Buddhist to believe in a higher God and at the same time most don't. So are they atheists or not?

I'd generally say not since there is a supernatural/spiritual aspect, but then again they're not actually believing in a particular God so they technically qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Why though? If the program of educate together or similar schools is rolled out to meet demand how does the presence of publicly funded religious schools trample your childrens rights? Its not a zero sum game, you don't have to remove options from parents that would like a religious ethos to satisfy your demands?

there aren't any secular schools though, I mean you can tell a school that you don't want your child to participate in religion.
    but in both primary and secondary school, they.are expected to sit through it all the same, they're just not required to participate.

it shouldn't be like this, schools that are "secular" should actually be secular. ie. no religious brain washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Anyone who can't stop gobbing on about the superiority of their beliefs is a tiresome ballroot.

Be that atheism, religion, nationalism or even "their" football team. All the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

Grayson wrote: »
    A good religious example would be Buddhists. It's a long running discussion about whether Buddhism is a philosophy or religion. It's actually possible for a Buddhist to believe in a higher God and at the same time most don't. So are they atheists or not?

I'd generally say not since there is a supernatural/spiritual aspect, but then again they're not actually believing in a particular God so they technically qualify.

There are certain types of buddhists that have theistic leanings but most buddhists would be atheistic. What is even more interesting is that some hindus can be atheistic and still practice hinduism legitimately (I don't mean ex-hindus or cultural hindus).
    As long as someone does not believe in a god, they are atheist. Everything else is additional stances that are optional to that label.
    The closest other example would be bachelor, you can be all sorts of bachelor as long as you satisfy one simple requirement, to not be married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The new breed of atheist is really excruciatingly annoying to be fair.

One of my cousins is this unfortunate breed (overweight, scraggly facial-hair, does something with computers).

He's always been a bit odd, but no one normally paid him too much attention. This year he was over in our house on Christmas morning as my mother normally hosts her family for a few nibbles and drinks after mass. He was obnoxiously wishing everyone a "happy winter festival" :rolleyes: Got into a huge argument and offended our dear old Grand Aunt who had the temerity to say "God Bless" to him. This caused him to go into a big tirade about sky fairies and sexual abuse yadda yadda yadda. He refused to attend mass with the rest of the family and instead sat outside playing Minecraft on his phone and listening to some God-awful heavy metal music. We were left in no doubt that he is an atheist anyway...
    Do you complain the same way about Christians proselytizing, preaching, moralizing and patronizing others?

I wish people cared about Planet Earth as much as they do about who created it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Had a friend going around telling the whole local pub he is an athiest after a few jars.

In fairness to him, if it takes a few jars for him to talk about what he doesn't believe in, that's a hell of a lot less than most of the believers I know who bring their faith up numerous times a day. And they're stone cold sober.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The new breed of atheist is really excruciatingly annoying to be fair.

One of my cousins is this unfortunate breed (overweight, scraggly facial-hair, does something with computers).

He's always been a bit odd, but no one normally paid him too much attention. This year he was over in our house on Christmas morning as my mother normally hosts her family for a few nibbles and drinks after mass. He was obnoxiously wishing everyone a "happy winter festival" :rolleyes: Got into a huge argument and offended our dear old Grand Aunt who had the temerity to say "God Bless" to him. This caused him to go into a big tirade about sky fairies and sexual abuse yadda yadda yadda. He refused to attend mass with the rest of the family and instead sat outside playing Minecraft on his phone and listening to some God-awful heavy metal music. We were left in no doubt that he is an atheist anyway...

Ah, the old "my car is red, therefore all cars must be red" argument...

:rolleyes:

My car isn't red, BTW.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Had a friend going around telling the whole local pub he is an athiest after a few jars. I know another Athiest who loves telling people that he is an athiest and going on about how he has been arguing about his wife about baptising the child and keeps bringing it up. I don't care if you are an athiest just please stay quiet about it! How are your athiest friends?

I take it you say the same things about people who wear crucifix necklaces, go to mass each week, wear dog collars ? Yes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

smash wrote: »
    Your cousin sounds like a walking cliche.

My father did describe him as a walking c**t alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Anyone who can't stop gobbing on about the superiority of their beliefs is a tiresome ballroot.

Be that atheism, religion, nationalism or even "their" football team. All the same.

Beliefs OR interests. I've been bored off my tits many's a time by historical re-enactment fans. I'd welcome an old religion/atheism discussion before that again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

My father did describe him as a walking c**t alright.

He sounds more like someone with social difficulties tbh. Not sure his atheism is relevant as he'd clearly annoy the heads off you in some other way if it wasn't with the touchiness about religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Shrap wrote: »
    Beliefs OR interests. I've been bored off my tits many's a time by historical re-enactment fans. I'd welcome an old religion/atheism discussion before that again :eek:

I had to site next to a guy who owned a glazing business at a wedding. 90 minutes of talk about double and triple glazing. He though my idea of getting a 5 pane window and calling it "Fusion Glazing" was great.

Nobody should think that's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Had a friend going around telling the whole local pub he is an athiest after a few jars. I know another Athiest who loves telling people that he is an athiest and going on about how he has been arguing about his wife about baptising the child and keeps bringing it up. I don't care if you are an athiest just please stay quiet about it! How are your athiest friends?

On the plus side: you wont have to put up with this fella for eternity :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Any athiest I know is the same, they have to gain all the attention when out at a party, if somebody brings up God or Jesus or any religous phrase. One particular friend of mine will go on this big rant and won't shut up for the night.

I myself am not religous but I don't like labelling myself either, too busy living to be gawking up at the sky.

The only reason most people baptize their children in my mind would be so their kid has somewhat of a normal childhood, the same as their own and everybody elses. Being left out of the Catholic mumbo jumbo in schools like communion and confirmation that would be a breeding ground for children to alienate the different kid who didn't go for communion, might be damaging to a kids self esteem. Kids can be cruel that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Any athiest I know is the same.

No, any atheist you know about may be like this.

But you know plenty of other atheists who don't advertise it. Some in church, even. I once heard a parish priest giving a sermon say he didn't believe in God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No, any atheist you know about may belike this.

But you know plenty of other atheists who don't advertise it. Some in church, even. I once heard a parish priest giving a sermon say he didn't believe in God.

Was it Fr Jack by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I hear more people complaining about annoying atheists than actual annoying atheists. Hmmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Macavity. wrote: »
    I hear more people complaining about annoying atheists than actual annoying atheists. Hmmmmm....

I asked someone was he going to mass. He said no, he doesnt believe that stuff!

Whats this world coming to when people can just start catholic bashing by saying that kind of stuff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What do atheists say instead of ohh God when having sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The only reason most people baptize their children in my mind would be so their kid has somewhat of a normal childhood, the same as their own and everybody elses. Being left out of the Catholic mumbo jumbo in schools like communion and confirmation that would be a breeding ground for children to alienate the different kid who didn't go for communion, might be damaging to a kids self esteem. Kids can be cruel that way.

What's wrong with teaching kids not to be bullies?

kneemos wrote: »

ohh dawkins or ohh science.

You could teach kids until your blue in the face, kids can pick up the bully factor anywhere...at home, picking the wrong people to be friends with etc. A kid could have the most perfect parents in the world and their kid can still be a bully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

or better yet, take religion out of school, rather than the focus that all are catholic, and if you're not, you can just sit in the corner and be left out for the hour.
    Children will always have something to judge others by. We don't need to make it easier for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

In fairness to him, if it takes a few jars for him to talk about what he doesn't believe in, that's a hell of a lot less than most of the believers I know who bring their faith up numerous times a day. And they're stone cold sober.

Ah come on who do you hang around with that brings up their faith numerous times a day, if you do I'd recommend you stop hanging around the legion of Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The morning after my boyfriend's housewarming party he got up, had a stretch and went "Oh, jesus" as you do. Frightened the life out of him when my sister's then boyfriend, who was on the couch and, he thought, asleep, chimed in with "He doesn't exist!"

Did you hear about the insomniac dyslexic agnostic man?

He stayed up all night wondering if there was a dog.

• Advertisement

Any athiest I know is the same, they have to gain all the attention when out at a party, if somebody brings up God or Jesus or any religous phrase. One particular friend of mine will go on this big rant and won't shut up for the night.

So somebody else brings up God or Jesus first, but if an atheist responds, they're the asshole.

Right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I don't think I have ever had anyone I know bring up their religious faith in conversation (if they had one).

Unless you are living somewhere on the U.S. bible belt I think you're exaggerating.

I'm secular and it seems these days the only time anyone brings my attention to the issue of religion is when some "atheist" brings it up (even with the flimsiest of connections with the conversation we were having).

So somebody else brings up God or Jesus first, but if an atheist responds, they're the asshole.

Right so.

I didn't say "They're the asshole"

It relatively starts off in an innocent sceanrio where somebody would say "Went to Christmas mass with the family and the carols were lovely, the sermon bored me to tears" some casual sentence like that and then it spins into this militant tirade about somebody going to mass and believing in a false prophet, and making the person feel like lesser person for attending mass if they want to. People can go to mass if they want, no skin off my nose.

I didn't say "They're the asshole"

It relatively starts off in an innocent sceanrio where somebody would say "Went to Christmas mass with the family and the carols were lovely, the sermon bored me to tears" some casual sentence like that and then it spins into this militant tirade about somebody going to mass and believing in a false prophet, and making the person feel like lesser person for attending mass if they want to. People can go to mass if they want, no skin off my nose.

Dont suppose your atheist friend wears a balaclava and is called Ahmed?

I'm an atheist and the only atheists I can't stand are those who insist people with faith are universally stupid. I've met and worked with far too many clever theists to think there's any merit in that position.

I don't believe in a deity, that's it. It doesn't entitles me to preach my absence of belief any more than a theist has a right to preach about their belief, it doesn't make me a being of superior logic, and it doesn't validate me being obnoxious to people who do believe. It just means I don't believe in a deity.

How atheists can discuss something they don't believe in, at great length and in great depth, is a mystery to me. I can't sustain a conversation about my atheism, in the same way that I can't sustain a conversation about my lack of belief in unicorns or fairies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Candie wrote: »
    I'm an atheist and the only atheists I can't stand are those who insist people with faith are universally stupid. I've met and worked with far too many clever theists to think there's any merit in that position.

I don't believe in a deity, that's it. It doesn't entitles me to preach my absence of belief any more than a theist has a right to preach about their belief, it doesn't make me a being of superior logic, and it doesn't validate me being obnoxious to people who do believe. It just means I don't believe in a deity.

How atheists can discuss something they don't believe in, at great length and in great depth, is a mystery to me. I can't sustain a conversation about my atheism, in the same way that I can't sustain a conversation about my lack of belief in unicorns or fairies.

It's a boring conversation and one I've never been subjected to, thank fook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I'd be pretty athie, probably athier than most people, but I wouldn't say I'm the athiest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

"Tá mé ag teacht"?

Shìt! Sorry, was saving that for the upcoming Irish language thread (because we're due another one any day now).

I ain't sure about Judgment Day, but every day feels like judgment day (of other people that aren't the same as meee!) in AH, it's great! :D

I got as far as page 20 in this thread before I simply gave up and skipped to the last few pages... It's just the bloody same thing on every single page! Pages after pages of this -

With regard to the OP and the whole idea of "religion in AH", this has been discussed numerous times in Feedback already, (just do a search like I did, plenty of threads on it) and the general consensus seems to be that it's perfectly acceptable to disseminate and discuss religions and the various religious beliefs, and the argument made for it was that religious beliefs are intrinsically intertwined in Irish society and have an impact on Irish society.

That's a perfectly reasonable point of view and I think we should discuss these issues, and I think they can be discussed in AH. That rarely ever happens though, discussion I mean. Instead what seems to happen is the threads end up in a muck slinging match and who can appear to be the most morally superior and humanitarian, all the while insulting people left, right and centre. It really does appear like the basic rules of Boards ("attack the post, not the poster", "don't be a dick") are completely abandoned and I imagine the Mods drawing straws amongst themselves as to who's going to intervene in the shìtstorm.

Civil discussion just doesn't happen, it's just the usual rabble rousing, petty insults for thanks, finger wagging moralising, ill informed generalisations, mouthing off on social media, and no attempt made to understand where other posters are coming from (if you're not entirely with us, you're against us), mob mentality, group think, and if anyone is expecting nuanced discussion, fcuk that craic, extremist opinion is where it's at apparently.

Like I said, I'm all for discussion of religion and religious beliefs and how they impact upon society in AH, but I can completely understand if someone wanted the discussion moved out of AH to another forum where posters would have to raise their game and discuss the actual issues, instead of merely trading insults and snide remarks aimed at each other which gets nobody anywhere and is just tiresome to read for anyone who isn't an extremist, or simply anyone who isn't interested in trolling other posters looking for thanks.

I'm glad Boards isn't like Facebook, but jesus christ AH isn't far bloody off it at times. It's one of my favourite forums, and just to keep things in perspective - these threads are only a tiny amount of what's posted in AH, but they're clearly the most contentious time sinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Which came first the A or the theist ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Candie wrote: »

I'm not an atheist but I am non religious.

I don't understand the mystery. Every single day the stupidity of religion and its followers is thrown in our faces. Look at Paris. Religion is one of the massive weights that holds back human society and progress. The constant stream stupid things in modern society that shouldn't be, but are, due to religion is...well, constant.

When your the only kid in class who knows santa isnt real, yet everyone in the class is constantly behaving and handling every day deeds in the context that there is a magical man in the north poll who sees all, well its very easy for that kid to have a lot to talk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I believe that an in between does exist.

How can you both believe in something and not believe in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

COYVB wrote: »

Theoretical physics! Many people do not believe in a deity but do have hopes for an afterlife. It's all really decided with one question: is time infinite or not? If time is infinite, then infinite possibilities exist. Therefore, we will technically live again. If time is finite, there is no afterlife.

ohh dawkins or ohh science.

Ah, but what if you're one of the millions of atheists who can't stand Dawkins or millions more who never heard of him, and, like me couldn't give a stuff about science? :P

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Theoretical physics! Many people do not believe in a deity but do have hopes for an afterlife. It's all really decided with one question: is time infinite or not? If time is infinite, then infinite possibilities exist. Therefore, we will technically live again. If time is finite, there is no afterlife.

We are all made of star dust and energy cannot be destroyed only converted.

So maybe consciousness does move on to some higher plane of existence once we pass on. This is why I don't call myself atheist. I think whatever the answer is, is 'probably' currently greater than anything man kind can come up with, never mind something man from 2000 years ago can invent. Which is why I'm not religious.

Ah, but what if you're one of the millions of atheists who can't stand Dawkins or millions more who never heard of him, and, like me couldn't give a stuff about science? :P

"Oh Scientific Method" "OH SCIENTIFIC METHOD!"

Sisko wrote: »
    We are all made of star dust and energy cannot be destroyed only converted.

So maybe consciousness does move on to some higher plane of existence once we pass on. This is why I don't call myself atheist. I think whatever the answer is, is 'probably' currently greater than anything man kind can come up with, never mind something man from 2000 years ago can invent. Which is why I'm not religious.

That's really interesting, I sometimes think the same. Particles of us still exist. For me it's not whether god exists or not, it's the duration of time

Everyone knows all atheists love Dawkins and worship him as a God.

If you dont like him you arent a real atheist, just a Christian going through a phase. :pac:

For me, even the idea of "God" is simplistic and dated.

There probably is some super beings out their in the universe that might fit some old ideas of "a god". Hell, we might even be destined to "create god" in the next few hundred years what with the singularity and what not which would be ironic.

A higher power? Maybe, as that could mean more than just the idea of a single mind belonging to a single super alien being that created everything in the universe just so "he" can watch every single minute of everyone's lives and get angry if people stop hating on the gays, have sex before marriage or say bold naughty words that he doesn't like.

I can say will 100% confidence that such a being does not exist.

But meaning behind the universe and existence itself? A collective consciousness maybe? I don't know. Maybe. Hence the non-atheist thing.

Everyone knows all atheists love Dawkins and worship him as a God.

Ah, but what did atheists do in the years BD ?

Or was Dawkins always there since the beginning of time and still be always there till the end of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

I am thirsty and have to piss. At the same time.

Where's your Dawkins now Atheists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

COYVB wrote: »

Cognitive dissonance baby.

• Advertisement
Advertisement