Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athiests - Who cares

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I am thirsty and have to piss. At the same time.

One obvious solution does present itself. Do you practice yoga at all...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I am thirsty and have to piss. At the same time.

Where's your Dawkins now Atheists?

Why here he is! Speaking about the evolutionary "design" of the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Candie wrote: »
    I'm an atheist and the only atheists I can't stand are those who insist people with faith are universally stupid. I've met and worked with far too many clever theists to think there's any merit in that position.

I don't believe in a deity, that's it. It doesn't entitles me to preach my absence of belief any more than a theist has a right to preach about their belief, it doesn't make me a being of superior logic, and it doesn't validate me being obnoxious to people who do believe. It just means I don't believe in a deity.

How atheists can discuss something they don't believe in, at great length and in great depth, is a mystery to me. I can't sustain a conversation about my atheism, in the same way that I can't sustain a conversation about my lack of belief in unicorns or fairies.

Thats because you don't have an overwhelming urge to impress on others how clever edgy well read and generally ssuperior you are.
    Because you dont have selfesteem confidence and self image problems .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Thats because you don't have an overwhelming urge to impress on others how clever edgy well read and generally ssuperior you are.

Just because an atheist expresses an opinion doesn't mean they have low self esteem. Inferring that I or any other atheists on this thread are like that is a low blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I couldn't care less what people do or don't believe, your personal beliefs, or lack thereof are your own business and if you want to go around advertising your position to all and sundry off you go. Just don't go shoving it down people's throats or acting as though you are some-how morally and/or intellectually superior to those who don't share your beliefs.

mrsbyrne wrote: »

No, ironically it's because I don't need to put down others or imply they're lacking in some way, because of what they do - or don't - believe.

You're doing what you accuse others of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I couldn't care less what people do or don't believe, your personal beliefs, or lack thereof are your own business and if you want to go around advertising your position to all and sundry off you go. Just don't go shoving it down people's throats or acting as though you are some-how morally and/or intellectually superior to those who don't share your beliefs.

I wouldn't call myself an aggressive secularist/atheist. Unless it impinges on the freedoms of others. Take gay rights. Until recently it was illegal to have gay sex. You could be arrested just for having sex. Likewise with contraception. Just because some people believed that using a condom was killing babies that weren't even conceived, people were stopped from from buying them.
    This stuff is wrong. Fair enough if you don't want to use a condom. You don't have to but don't stop anyone else from doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sisko wrote: »
    So maybe consciousness does move on to some higher plane of existence once we pass on. This is why I don't call myself atheist.

Atheists disbelieve in gods, but not necessarily afterlives. I think some Buddhists are atheists who believe in an afterlife.

Do you believe in any gods? No? You're an atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How atheists can discuss something they don't believe in, at great length and in great depth, is a mystery to me. I can't sustain a conversation about my atheism, in the same way that I can't sustain a conversation about my lack of belief in unicorns or fairies.

Unless they're talking about religion's influence in society, which is a topic that could generate a long long chat.

But otherwise, yeah, how can you talk at length about the absence of belief.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    But otherwise, yeah, how can you talk at length about the absence of belief.

See, the people who just have an absence of belief line up on one side, while those of us who actively disbelieve line up on the other. Then we call each other names for a while, and then there's a huge mill.

Then the guy who thinks it's impossible to know either way laughs at everyone else, and we join forces and chase him out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

Well there is a rich history of religious dissent that goes back thousands of years, a long list of issues with religion, a lot of counter arguments to theistic claims, a lot of other issues not linked directly to atheism, including morality, creativity, motivations, etc. Atheists don't generally go on about ATHEISM, they go on about life and what it means to live as an atheist. I have a brother like you, an atheist that does not care one wit about discussing it, so I do understand your perspective, but his apathism towards the subject does not mean there is nothing to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

I think the reason some atheists can talk at length about religion and/or their lack of it is that most of them started out as theists.

Born into their parents religion, eventually they begin to question it. This can lead to someone doing a lot of research and reading etc in trying to gather as much information as possible in a quest to make up their own minds on what they personally believe.

Its funny because you can end up with a situation where an atheist has far more knowledge about religion than many theists as many theists will never have really researched and questioned their own religion or beliefs.
    Some people relish the philosophical debate others just have no interest in debating it.

Which came first the A or the theist ?
    The theism term came first. However people didn't always have gods in their minds, so there was implicit atheists before that (and still are).
    The A means 'without' so you naturally have to have something first before you have a term for not having it. In this case a belief in god must exist before people notice other people don't have that belief or reject the belief.

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Theoretical physics! Many people do not believe in a deity but do have hopes for an afterlife. It's all really decided with one question: is time infinite or not? If time is infinite, then infinite possibilities exist. Therefore, we will technically live again. If time is finite, there is no afterlife.
    You can have an afterlife technically without a god, unless that afterlife includes a god in its description like the christian and muslim one does. All it means is that something of you continues on after your body dies. I don't believe in one, but being atheist does not exclude the possibility. Heck the transhumanist singularity might be seen as an atheist afterlife of sorts where the mind transcends the body it previously inhabited.

Are you saying there is no better or worse forms of moral thinking? Or that certain beliefs or stances cannot be better than others on certain topics.
    While it may seem snobbish or annoying to bring such topics up, usually its because the person on the receiving end has not thought about the topics very much and gets defensive when they realise they don't really have a response.
    Again tact is important, but challenging others (politely) on moral or intellectual grounds can be insightful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I presume this is primarily referring to the predominantly visible religious aspects. Churches being the most visible buildings in towns, folk with crucifixs, religious symbols in public buildings and in public spaces, bells twice a day, smudgy heads on ash Wednesday etc. Im atheist yet have no majot issues with this. Why do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

osarusan wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'I live in a really sunny place' post.

If only. I am in Germany and spend a few days last week shoveling snow off the paths around my home.
    smash wrote: »
    For all religions, non-believers are the lowest of the low.

True to a point. But also interesting to consider the fact that.... for example.... the "10 commandments" do not refer to non-believers but false believers. Which suggests some religions look down on believers of false religions a little more than non-believers.
    I'm saying we shouldn't discount the existence of something we don't fully understand.

A good approach but not applicable here. The problem here is not that atheists are dismissing the evidence for a god they do not fully understand. The issue is that they have not been OFFERED such evidence.

And one simply can not dismiss what one has not even been offered in the first place. That would be like you passing the potatoes and me declining saying "No thanks, I do not eat peas".
    o1s1n wrote: »
    'atheists' are not a homogeneous group of people, akin to those who share a religion.

Hell even they are not homogeneous most of the time. Look at Christianity for example. The last edition of the World Christian Encyclopedia I picked up recognizes over 33,000 branches, sects and off shots of this alone.

And I remember two little old ladies in my life who had sat together in church every day for decades. During a conversation with me it came to light that, and neither of them knew it before, their mutual ideas of "god" and various aspects of their particular faith, were wildly contradictory. Especially their idea of what the Consecration of the Cracker actually meant and entailed.
    I'll have a good old argument with people IRL about Religion™, but in the end, it always ends up being an argument about the definition of atheism, rather than the topic at hand.

You would be depressed to see just how many threads on the atheism forum go down that route too.

This is why I simply do not use the word atheist to describe myself when I can at all help it. I simply do not identify with the word at all. Nor do I like the word agnostic because the original definition is not one I identify with at all, and the modern definition/use of it is so dilute as to be essentially meaningless.

I define myself by what I AM. Not by what I am NOT.
    Interesting, seeing that you are an atheist what are your beliefs?

On what topic exactly? I subscribe to so many ideas myself that an answer to your question would be novel length. IF you could be more specific I could too. I am led to believe, for example, that the speed of light in a vacuum is essentially constant. I also find myself under the impression I see to eat to prevent death. And that is just 2 beliefs I hold out of several thousands.
    Why is it that all they do in the atheist forum is take pot shots at those who believe in God

They do much more than that. Perhaps you need to read more of the posts there and less of the making it up for yourself.
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    im an atheist and bible bashers shoving god down my neck is just as annoying as an arrogant atheist.

I think however that that one has already been done. :)
    I wish people cared about Planet Earth as much as they do about who created it.

Unfortunately many religions positively ensure the opposite will happen. Those people who genuinely believe that Jesus is going to return without their life time, or shortly after, and rapture us all into another realm for example..... what possible reason do such people have to care about slow destruction of this planet? The speed of such destruction simply does not scale onto the length of time they believe the planet will be under our stewardship.
    kneemos wrote: »
    What do atheists say instead of ohh God when having sex.

Actually I am quite verbose during sex, just as much as I am on this forum :) and I say all kinds of things. Not all of it secular or non-religious.

As what other people label "atheist" I have no issue with using language with religious roots. Any more than a Christian has trouble saying "Thursday" despite its links to pagan religions related to Thor. Even the word "Goodbye" has an etymology in "God be with you". And "Holidays" comes from "Holy days".

I simply have no met a single atheist myself who has issue with the fact that language has cultural origins over a long period of time, and our cultural history was indeed steeped in religion.

I remember the first person who told me that joke. It was my primary school teacher in Belgrove in Clontarf. I was 7 :)
    Sisko wrote: »
    We are all made of star dust and energy cannot be destroyed only converted.

So maybe consciousness does move on to some higher plane of existence once we pass on.

I am genuinely baffled as to how you went from the first sentence to the second one. Could you elaborate.
    xLisaBx wrote: »
    "Oh Scientific Method" "OH SCIENTIFIC METHOD!"

Well the scientific method involves the ability to be able to repeat your results. So I would certainly be happy to apply that to the sexual scenarios :)

Then again it also requires peer review, and third party observation, and that others repeat your results. Not sure I am into that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

nozzferrahhtoo is without doubt one of the best, if not the best, poster on Boards.

No bad for the undead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't believe in gods, heavens, hells or any religions. Don't get into arguements with people over it, I don't go out of my way to try disprove religion, or make religious people feel stupid for having beliefs.

But it also doesn't mean I want to be, or need to, part of any groups or community. I don't believe in gods or religion, but I don't call myself an aethiest either. I just don't believe in any of that, and to be honest I just don't care about it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't believe in gods, heavens, hells or any religions. Don't get into arguements with people over it, I don't go out of my way to try disprove religion, or make religious people feel stupid for having beliefs.

But it also doesn't mean I want to be, or need to, part of any groups or community. I don't believe in gods or religion, but I don't call myself an aethiest either. I just don't believe in any of that, and to be honest I just don't care about it all.

Good man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I think the reason some atheists can talk at length about religion and/or their lack of it is that most of them started out as theists.

Born into their parents religion, eventually they begin to question it. This can lead to someone doing a lot of research and reading etc in trying to gather as much information as possible in a quest to make up their own minds on what they personally believe.

Its funny because you can end up with a situation where an atheist has far more knowledge about religion than many theists as many theists will never have really researched and questioned their own religion or beliefs.
    Some people relish the philosophical debate others just have no interest in debating it.

And let's face it most theists don't do a lot of thinking. How could they when they actually believe in pink elephants, the tooth fairy and angels never mind the big boogy man alien who controls the universe and watches over 7 billion people on this one planet, planning and adjusting each one's life, granting prayers to the ones who devote themselves mostly to his adulation .... I mean how much thinking can go into this stuff ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Piliger wrote: »
    And let's face it most theists don't do a lot of thinking. How could they when they actually believe in pink elephants, the tooth fairy and angels never mind the big boogy man alien who controls the universe and watches over 7 billion people on this one planet, planning and adjusting each one's life, granting prayers to the ones who devote themselves mostly to his adulation .... I mean how much thinking can go into this stuff ?

Rolls eyes.

This is what pisses off theists, agnostics and atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ah, but what did atheists do in the years BD ?

Or was Dawkins always there since the beginning of time and still be always there till the end of time?

In the BD years there was no true atheism, a few awkward people who just needed to shut up and go to mass. In the AD years he wrote a book and then people learnt it off to use sentences in their teenage years. And so true atheism was born and will continue to exist as long as Richard Dawkins' books exist.

Rolls eyes.

This is what pisses off theists, agnostics and atheists.
    No ... just the theists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Quite a bit actually goes into thinking about that stuff then, as your own post proves.

Now, how much thinking goes into knowing that nothing exists?

Well, that requires no thinking at all, just acceptance of the fact that nothing exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Quite a bit actually goes into thinking about that stuff then, as your own post proves.

Well, that requires no thinking at all, just acceptance of the fact that nothing exists.

If you've been indoctrinated into a religion by your family as a child and your family all adhere to the tenets and customs of that religion then I'd say a hell of a lot of thinking is required to reject these concepts later in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Not really. I mean I stopped believing when I was around 10 or 11. It started off when a teacher told us that heaven wasn't actually a place in the sky and my little mind went "woah, woah, woah, what? But that's what we always were told so who's lying?". So, like the strange child I was, I decided to read the Bible and reading through it actually stopped the belief altogether. I read in my teens then again when I decided to teach myself about various religions instead of just being handed Alive magazines every religion class. It's actually made me wonder how many people have read the Bible and how many just follow the snippets the priests say at mass... I'd say there'd be a lot more non-believers if they actually read the whole Bible that they're supposed to be following. Same hold true for most religions...

That why Atheists are Atheists. They think about things and value reality and actual rational thinking.
    You're just dreaming.
    You should be in politics.

If you've been indoctrinated into a religion by your family as a child and your family all adhere to the tenets and customs of that religion then I'd say a hell of a lot of thinking is required to reject these concepts later in life.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Not really. I mean I stopped believing when I was around 10 or 11. It started off when a teacher told us that heaven wasn't actually a place in the sky and my little mind went "woah, woah, woah, what? But that's what we always were told so who's lying?". So, like the strange child I was, I decided to read the Bible and reading through it actually stopped the belief altogether. I read in my teens then again when I decided to teach myself about various religions instead of just being handed Alive magazines every religion class. It's actually made me wonder how many people have read the Bible and how many just follow the snippets the priests say at mass...

But both examples above are an absence of belief as a consequence of the the rejection of the initial indoctrination of belief, no?

But what if neither of you had never been indoctrinated, would you still question the validity of the things you were being told? Would you still have thought about just how unbelievable some of this stuff is before you searched for answers to your questions and concluded that you couldn't relate to these concepts you were indoctrinated with because they had no basis in reality and there was no evidence to support the beliefs you'd been taught, that in fact the evidence was contradictory at best at all levels?

The point I'm making is that you employed critical thinking and questioning after the fact so to speak, but if you'd never been taught these beliefs in the first place, then you wouldn't have had to think about them and whether or not you could relate to them.

Chances are you'd just smile and nod politely and dismissively say "that's niiiice", when someone would impart these beliefs to you as an adult (or you might tell then to eff right off, I dunno), and you'd think no more of it. You might think the person was a few sandwiches short of a full loaf depending on the conviction of their belief! :D

I'd say there'd be a lot more non-believers if they actually read the whole Bible that they're supposed to be following. Same hold true for most religions...

I dunno, I mean that genuinely, I don't know if I could say that could ever actually be true. I mean, I've read a couple of holy books in my time (of the major religions anyway), and I've studied their history. I suppose it depends on what way an individual decides to interpret them for themselves. Like ANY book really, some people would be inclined to think "well that was a load of cock!", some people would think it was interesting, some people would buy into the ideology hook, line and sinker. It doesn't speak to anything regarding their intelligence. It's simply evidence that different people relate to different concepts... differently.

That's about the only thing I've found true for all human beings, regardless of their beliefs, or absence thereof.

Where do you stand on the existence of extraterrestrial life in the known universe?

(Nah it's grand, I'm only messing, but I find it interesting that some people believe extraterrestrial life forms exist or have existed, yet when someone claims to have been abducted to spend a weekend being probed, they're nuts! :D)

That's off-topic though, but it's a close enough analogy to demonstrate that people, depending on what they can or cannot relate to, will always find almost ingenious ways to rationalise their biases for themselves.

But both examples above are an absence of belief as a consequence of the the rejection of the initial indoctrination of belief, no?

But what if neither of you had never been indoctrinated, would you still question the validity of the things you were being told? Would you still have thought about just how unbelievable some of this stuff is before you searched for answers to your questions and concluded that you couldn't relate to these concepts you were indoctrinated with because they had no basis in reality and there was no evidence to support the beliefs you'd been taught, that in fact the evidence was contradictory at best at all levels?

The point I'm making is that you employed critical thinking and questioning after the fact so to speak, but if you'd never been taught these beliefs in the first place, then you wouldn't have had to think about them and whether or not you could relate to them.

Chances are you'd just smile and nod politely and dismissively say "that's niiiice", when someone would impart these beliefs to you as an adult (or you might tell then to eff right off, I dunno), and you'd think no more of it. You might think the person was a few sandwiches short of a full loaf depending on the conviction of their belief! :D

I dunno, I mean that genuinely, I don't know if I could say that could ever actually be true. I mean, I've read a couple of holy books in my time (of the major religions anyway), and I've studied their history. I suppose it depends on what way an individual decides to interpret them for themselves. Like ANY book really, some people would be inclined to think "well that was a load of cock!", some people would think it was interesting, some people would buy into the ideology hook, line and sinker. It doesn't speak to anything regarding their intelligence. It's simply evidence that different people relate to different concepts... differently.

That's about the only thing I've found true for all human beings, regardless of their beliefs, or absence thereof.

Where do you stand on the existence of extraterrestrial life in the known universe?

(Nah it's grand, I'm only messing, but I find it interesting that some people believe extraterrestrial life forms exist or have existed, yet when someone claims to have been abducted to spend a weekend being probed, they're nuts! :D)

That's off-topic though, but it's a close enough analogy to demonstrate that people, depending on what they can or cannot relate to, will always find almost ingenious ways to rationalise their biases for themselves.

I think I would anyway, due to the fact I did study a lot of religions. I've never really been one to accept something without proof except when I was a child and everyone was telling me the same thing. I like understanding thingsm especially when they concern myself.

The thing is though, many things that are said in many texts (the individual things) are genuinely batshít crazy!

As for ET life, well given the zillions of planets out there, I'd say more than likely there's some sort of life somewhere. I don't think they've visited earth, mainly because of how limited our perception is and how the mind can play tricks on you and as you say "rationalise their basis for themselves". I mean, if someone really wanted to believe that aliens kidnapped them, that's what they're going to believe. Same with religion. And that's okay, as long as they don't try and convert others to that same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

It is insulting to say that atheists beliefs require no thought.

If someone was to say that about another religion it would be considered blasphemy.

I have seen numerous posts on Facebook of atheist bashing and what I can only describe as propaganda against atheists.

There was a post and phoney story about a little girl sitting on a plane beside 'the atheist'.

"An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger."
    The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"
    " Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?" as he smiled smugly.
    "OK," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"
    The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence, thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea." To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death, when you don't know crap?" And then she went back to reading her book
    ."

This story is clearly fabricated in order to make atheist people sound 'smug' and like he thinks he is superior to a little girl. Come on! Whoever sat down and took the time to create such a ridiculous story should use their time to do good things rather than try to tarnish the beliefs of others and try to make other people look bad because they do not share your beliefs.

For the record, any atheist I know is not going around trying to convert little girls to atheism nor trying to convert anyone else for that matter. They have the right to believe in what they want and they should not feel obliged to keep it quiet because it is not a shared belief of someone else just as someone who is religious should not have to keep quiet about their beliefs.

What does creating these stories achieve? To me this story shows the smugness and the lack of consideration by the poster (whatever their religion) for other people rather than the fake atheist story.

Also I have never seen such posts by atheists slagging off other peoples religion yet I have seen many slagging off atheists or should I say 'THE ATHEIST'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Saralee4 wrote: »
    It is insulting to say that atheists beliefs require no thought.

If someone was to say that about another religion it would be considered blasphemy.

I have seen numerous posts on Facebook of atheist bashing and what I can only describe as propaganda against atheists.

There was a post and phoney story about a little girl sitting on a plane beside 'the atheist'.

"An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger."
    The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"
    " Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?" as he smiled smugly.
    "OK," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"
    The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence, thinks about it and says, "Hmmm, I have no idea." To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death, when you don't know crap?" And then she went back to reading her book
    ."

This story is clearly fabricated in order to make atheist people sound 'smug' and like he thinks he is superior to a little girl. Come on! Whoever sat down and took the time to create such a ridiculous story should use their time to do good things rather than try to tarnish the beliefs of others and try to make other people look bad because they do not share your beliefs.

For the record, any atheist I know is not going around trying to convert little girls to atheism nor trying to convert anyone else for that matter. They have the right to believe in what they want and they should not feel obliged to keep it quiet because it is not a shared belief of someone else just as someone who is religious should not have to keep quiet about their beliefs.

What does creating these stories achieve? To me this story shows the smugness and the lack of consideration by the poster (whatever their religion) for other people rather than the fake atheist story.

Also I have never seen such posts by atheists slagging off other peoples religion yet I have seen many slagging off atheists or should I say 'THE ATHEIST'.

The story does a **** job anyway. HAHAHA you know nothing. Hit the little bitch with a calculus book and see if she is so smart then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

sup_dude wrote: »
    Not really. I mean I stopped believing when I was around 10 or 11. It started off when a teacher told us that heaven wasn't actually a place in the sky and my little mind went "woah, woah, woah, what? But that's what we always were told so who's lying?". So, like the strange child I was, I decided to read the Bible and reading through it actually stopped the belief altogether. I read in my teens then again when I decided to teach myself about various religions instead of just being handed Alive magazines every religion class. It's actually made me wonder how many people have read the Bible and how many just follow the snippets the priests say at mass... I'd say there'd be a lot more non-believers if they actually read the whole Bible that they're supposed to be following. Same hold true for most religions...

Holy fuck. :eek: I know it's hard to convey sincerity over the Internet, but I honestly feel sorry for your classmates for being subjected to that hateful rag.

Holy fuck. :eek: I know it's hard to convey sincerity over the Internet, but I honestly feel sorry for your classmates for being subjected to that hateful rag.

Aw it's the most hateful thing to read. Full of narrowminded, badly written articles. Not going to lie, I spent most of the classes just picking an article and arguing with the religion teacher about it every week. Used to drive the teacher mad. I found it quite insightful into the thought process of someone who's as extreme as her.

That why Atheists are Atheists. They think about things and value reality and actual rational thinking.

That's not why Atheists are Atheists at all. Atheism is nothing more than an absence of belief in a deity or deities. Anti-theism is an active rejection of belief in a deity or deities. One requires thinking about it, the other one doesn't. I know many people who don't think about these things at all who could be classified by other people as Atheist, then there are people who have thought "Religion? Not for me thanks", and give the idea no further thought.

You're trying to ascribe values to Atheism which simply don't exist (think about that).

You're just dreaming.

You should be in politics.

Nice way to sidestep the argument and resort to ad hominems instead. Last time I checked, basic logical fallacies were a sign of an irrationally thought out argument.

That's not why Atheists are Atheists at all. Atheism is nothing more than an absence of belief in a deity or deities. Anti-theism is an active rejection of belief in a deity or deities.
    No it isn't. They are the same thing.
    One requires thinking about it, the other one doesn't.
    No. Both require the same rational thinking.
    I know many people who don't think about these things at all who could be classified by other people as Atheist, then there are people who have thought "Religion? Not for me thanks", and give the idea no further thought.
    I've never ever encountered anyone like this except theists.
    You're trying to ascribe values to Atheism which simply don't exist (think about that).
    No. I'm ascribing value that are earned and deserved.

Nice way to sidestep the argument and resort to ad hominems instead. Last time I checked, basic logical fallacies were a sign of an irrationally thought out argument.

How is saying you are dreaming and should be in politics an 'ad hominem' exactly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

I don't understand that. Are you trying to say that Atheism doesn't have values?

Are you trying to say that Atheism doesn't have values?

How could atheism have values? It's like saying not being in the Boy Scouts has rules!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

How could atheism have values? It's like saying not being in the Boy Scouts has rules!

Is that what the other poster meant? You mean only religion has values?

Really ? So Atheists don't care about murder or evil or assault or torture or abuse of children or rape ? No ? Really ?

Is that what the other poster meant? You mean only religion has values?

Atheists have values. But atheism cannot supply them. I reject all systems with gods in them. How can that, on its own, tell me how to live? It can't.

There's humanism, communism, liberalism, libertarianism - lots of other isms that have values, and goals, and no Gods, but there are no values and goals in atheism, it's just a lack or theism, an absence of one particular kind of belief.

Really ? So Atheists don't care about murder or evil or assault or torture or abuse of children or rape ? No ? Really ?

None of those values are based on a lack of belief in a deity though? Plenty of religious people care about people who are murdered and assaulted or abused as children or are raped, and in just the same way as you have rejected religion for those reasons, plenty of people embrace religion for the very same reasons.

Atheists have values. But atheism cannot supply them. I reject all systems with gods in them. How can that, on its own, tell me how to live? It can't.

There's humanism, communism, liberalism, libertarianism - lots of other isms that have values, and goals, and no Gods, but there are no values and goals in atheism, it's just a lack or theism, an absence of one particular kind of belief.

A completely different thing than you originally tried to say. And what you seem to be trying to say, but in a very confusing manner, is that Atheism itself does not supply values, as it is simply a lack of belief in god(s).

If that is what you are trying to say then you are right :D

A completely different thing than you originally tried to say.

Your reading comprehension could possibly use a little polish.

• Advertisement

Your reading comprehension could possibly use a little polish.

More like your writing ability.

How is saying you are dreaming and should be in politics an 'ad hominem' exactly ?

More like your writing ability.

Pilliger I think this may be of some help to you in understanding logical fallacies and rational argument -

http://www.relativelyinteresting.com/10-commandments-rational-debate-logical-fallacies-explained/

You're tying yourself up there in all sorts of contradictory cognitive knots and, well, you're not even wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

If you believe in God, fine.
    If you belive in evolution, fine.
    If you believe in Miley Cyrus being our twerking supreme leader.. Fine too.

Just whatever you do, don't be a dick about it.

We all have the right to believe in what we want.

What do you mean "Believe" in Evolution ?

Do you "believe" the earth is not flat ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

OP, millions of people in the world suffer daily - are shot, hanged, decapitated, stoned, lashed, tortured, publicly, ridiculed and ostracised - because of religious beliefs and religious governments for just saying their opinion and daring to do things differently. Things like girls going to school or gays not pretending they are straight.

But one of your biggest concerns in a country where women still can't get an abortion even when their life is in danger because of religious beliefs is that some atheists tell you they don't believe in gods after a few drinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

the_monkey wrote: »
    What do you mean "Believe" in Evolution ?

Do you "believe" the earth is not flat ?

To be fair, creationists do not believe in evolution but they are thick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement