Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athiests - Who cares

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

(Nah it's grand, I'm only messing, but I find it interesting that some people believe extraterrestrial life forms exist or have existed, yet when someone claims to have been abducted to spend a weekend being probed, they're nuts! )

There is good reason for that of course. There are good reasons to EXPECT there to be life elsewhere in this universe. The sheer size of it coupled with the fact that if you list in order the elements that make us up, they are 1:1 the elements that make up the universe. We are not all that special.

There is however good reason to ALSO expect such life to be entirely unable to cross great distances at speeds that would allow them to find us, let alone visit us, let alone be interested in us enough after all that time and technology to be bothered abducting us on the sly and studying us. Again, we are not that special :)

So I do not find it as interesting I am afraid that this disparity exists in peoples thinking because I think both are quite rational positions to hold and no contradiction exists between them.

Certainly on the note of the other points being made however, it is wrong for anyone to suggest being atheist requires no thought, or that thinking nothing exists requires no thought, or that one would never consider these beliefs if one was not indoctrinated into them. The simple fact is we all exist in this universe and we have no explanation for this. And exploring those explanations mentally, requires deep thought, regardless of which conclusions you come to, and which ones you reject.

I was never "indoctrinated" into religious belief. Except for being in an "integrated school curriculum" I remained somewhat immune and was somewhere approaching 12 before I realised the god stuff being read at what I thought was "story time" was something people ACTUALLY believed.

But when the question of our existence here came to me, the god hypothesis is just as valid as any other one I have heard. So I explored it with just as much intellectual rigor and deep thought. And after 20 years of that I have come to the conclusion that the claim our universe is explained by the actions or existence of a non-human intelligent and intentional agent......is a claim that is not just slightly, but ENTIRELY devoid of even a modicum of arguments, evidence, data or reasoning that validly supports it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You don't have to "believe" in something that works. The computer that you use to post on boards is not powered by faith of any sort, it's powered by electricity. Science is like that. Einstein was horrified by Quantum Mechanics, but it got results (and still does); that is what matters, so he accepted it as a working theory.

Isn't faith described in the Bible as "the evidence of things not seen" i.e. a contradiction in terms? Well, evolution - like science in general - is supported by evidence of things seen, and there's no need to make any of it up. But what if new evidence points evolution in a new direction? Then we'll consider that, too. No belief required, it doesn't define us as people.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

sup_dude wrote: »
    Aw it's the most hateful thing to read. Full of narrowminded, badly written articles. Not going to lie, I spent most of the classes just picking an article and arguing with the religion teacher about it every week. Used to drive the teacher mad. I found it quite insightful into the thought process of someone who's as extreme as her.

It used to be delivered to a house i lived in. One issue had Cameron Diaz on the cover. The article was about a lack of sexual morals. they said she had so many past boyfriends that she had become the parcel in a game of pass the parcel.
    it really is hate filled drivel.

Atheists have values. But atheism cannot supply them. I reject all systems with gods in them. How can that, on its own, tell me how to live? It can't.

There's humanism, communism, liberalism, libertarianism - lots of other isms that have values, and goals, and no Gods, but there are no values and goals in atheism, it's just a lack or theism, an absence of one particular kind of belief.

A belief in rationality and a rejection of superstition could be considered a value. And although there aren't a fixed set of ethical/moral beliefs it could be stated that there is a meta-ethical view. That is that it's possible to construct an ethical system without relying on a religious system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

We already have ethical systems that make no reference to religion. Medical ethics, for example, or engineering ethics*. They weren't "handed down" (literally or metaphorically), but arose in a "bottom up" fashion when groups of people agreed on how things should be done. That's all it takes.

* example: Canadian engineering graduates can optionally undertake the Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer, which was written by Rudyard Kipling, after which they may wear an iron ring to remind them of their obligations.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

How could atheism have values? It's like saying not being in the Boy Scouts has rules!

I see what you're saying. It's about the definition. Most people would use words looser than that. But just for the hell of it atheism has one value anyway. Suspicion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Morals and values are not bestowed upon you by religion. Religions may preach them but there are plenty of religious people who do not follow the morals and values set out by their religion.

Morals and values are a choice. They are based on events, interactions, experiences throughout life and your perception of what is right and wrong. You choose these.

Sure I learned most of my core beliefs from the Care Bears. :-p Ah no from my parents, teachers, friends, myself etc.

Religious people may say that they are more likely to live by their morals and values because they love god however atheists may say the same in that they love humanity and they only get one life to do the right thing by the people they love.

Bottom line is you are responsible and you choose to follow your own morals, values and actions and religion is not the only place that you can learn these.

nozzferrahhtoo is without doubt one of the best, if not the best, poster on Boards.

I saw him first :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm one of the people who went back so I've seen it from both sides, I myself was a full on atheist in college. (very much involved in societies etc) The big thing I got from it was that I was free and I could do and say whatever I liked without some Christian square judging me. We we're going to stick it to the the cnuts. That all changed a couple of years ago for me.

However back on topic you'll find big angry assholes in every section of humanity, religious atheist or whatever, thankfully the majoritory in this country are fairly moderate. There is an evangelical presence here spreading their literature and the odd extreme atheist type cutting down crosses on mountain tops but for the most part I think both sides interact quite well together.

the odd extreme atheist type cutting down crosses on mountain tops

Oh you have more information on this then and have identified who did this? Have you given your evidence and information to the guards? Enlighten us on who exactly has done this and how you found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oh you have more information on this then and have identified who did this? Have you given your evidence and information to the guards? Enlighten us on who exactly has done this and how you found out.

It's well known who did it but I'm not a rat or a stool pigeon.

Again give us your evidence and knowledge here.

Or are you just making stuff up to tar people?

Theist in making up baselsss lies about atheists - shocker - more news at 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

More likely don't have any proof. If you do please take it to the guards. It's not being a rat or a stool pigeon, it's about being a member of society.

I know you probably think he / she'll get punishment in the afterlife. As an atheist I'd prefer that whoever did that vandalism has to make amends while they're still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Grayson wrote: »
    A belief in rationality and a rejection of superstition could be considered a value.

Except that is not something that stems from atheism, atheism is something that stems from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I respect their non - belief and that but they are so obsessed with religion. It's like someone saying they have no interest in football but then they never shut up about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I respect their non - belief and that but they are so obsessed with religion. It's like someone saying they have no interest in football but then they never shut up about football.

Except no one dies because of the style of football of this country. No one can reject a child a place in a school based on the team their parents support. Etc.

So not at all like your analogy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I like a pint and a chat. I have no interest in football. It can be tricky sometimes to find a local pub where I live that isn't showing some match or other when I really just want a pint and a chat.

Luckily, our constitution doesn't make specific reference to any particular sport. No specific team has had input into drawing up legislation either. Or negatively impacting the lives of citizens who didn't support them.

Do you see the point I make by stretching your lazy analogy just a little bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Someone whinging about the angelus being on the telly will be remembered in the same vein as Rosa Parks, Gandhi, Mandela and M.L. King.

Who is talking about the Angelus?
    What about children being discriminated against being enabled by the state. Which is in breach on the UN's stance on freedom of religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

The thread was not raised by an atheist. It was raised complaining6 about an atheist for sharing his views. So religious people are obsessed with keeping atheist people quiet?

I have listened to people preach about religion all my life, i am handed leaflets in the street, sure the priest who i never met knocked on my door the other week wanting to come into my house. The next week i got sent an box of envelopes to put money in and give the church for every week of the year. He never even asked my religion.

Sure if people didn't disagree with others beliefs we would all still think the world was flat.

Anyone saying that atheists don't have values because they don't have religion is like saying that people have no control over themselves unless their is a guide and a consequence. If I do something I believe to be wrong my conscience kicks in. So I try not to do things that are wrong. I don't not do it because I fear the rath of God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Theoretical physics! Many people do not believe in a deity but do have hopes for an afterlife. It's all really decided with one question: is time infinite or not? If time is infinite, then infinite possibilities exist. Therefore, we will technically live again. If time is finite, there is no afterlife.

Belief in an afterlife and belief in a branch of theism/god are not the same thing. Also, technically, infinite time does not mean everything that can happen actually will. In an existence of infinite possibilities, all possibilities are not guaranteed, regardless of the time scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Is this still going on? People seem to get so wound up over atheists, they just seem to bang on and on, "Oh someone at the pub said they were an atheist, lemme go home and bitch about them online!" and it goes on for over 500 posts? Get a grip guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Links234 wrote: »
    Is this still going on? People seem to get so wound up over atheists, they just seem to bang on and on, "Oh someone at the pub said they were an atheist, lemme go home and bitch about them online!" and it goes on for over 500 posts? Get a grip guys!

Just dont dare make a thread about Christians. It would flood with some people crying about how its open season on them while every other group is protected or some other nonsense before going back to complain about atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Thankfully, as a failed internet meme, atheism has about as much influence on the world as that hilarious "can I hasz chhezburgr?" kitten. If not substantially less.

Haha, that cat cracks me up :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

catallus wrote: »
    Thankfully, as a failed internet meme, atheism has about as much influence on the world as that hilarious "can I hasz chhezburgr?" kitten. If not substantially less.

Haha, that cat cracks me up :)

Ooooooo. You makins meez angwee!

• Advertisement

How can you be angwy with this?!

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8v643heTV1r6l6x1o1_500.jpg

Come on!!

Come on!!

That cat is a creep.

That cat is a creep.

:eek:

Shut your mouth!!!! He's adooooorable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I feel the OP's pain. I experienced this strange syndrome with many who ive known who are atheist.

Even when a conversation is not anyway connected to religion it somehow gets warped towards it just so they can have the opportunity to inform me of their atheism.

It's the smugness and hypocrisy that annoys me the most. Many atheist talk how religion does noting but oppress people and yet many of which enjoy nothing more than to insult and harass people for believing in God.

Ricky Gervais is a prime example. Almost daily, posts something about atheism and ridicules people for believing in any god or religion.

I genuinely believe that some atheists are disappointed that religion is not rammed down peoples throat as much in everyday life as it used to be.

:eek:

Shut your mouth!!!! He's adooooorable :D

No. He's a flat eared big eyed creep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

lightspeed wrote: »
    I feel the OP's pain. I experienced this strange syndrome with many who ive known who are atheist.

Even when a conversation is not anyway connected to religion it somehow gets warped towards it just so they can have the opportunity to inform me of their atheism.

It's the smugness and hypocrisy that annoys me the most. Many atheist talk how religion does noting but oppress people and yet many of which enjoy nothing more than to insult and harass people for believing in God.

Ricky Gervais is a prime example. Almost daily, posts something about atheism and ridicules people for believing in any god or religion.

I genuinely believe that some atheists are disappointed that religion is not rammed down peoples throat as much in everyday life as it used to be.

I know how you feel, I had crap live alive put through my door or being handed "free" books before being asked for a donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

lightspeed wrote: »

What about the atheists that you haven't known are atheist. Are they ok? Oh it's just the vocal ones you have issues with. The ones who go about their business quietly without affecting other people are grand.

I find myself feeling the very same way about Christians. Finally some common ground.

No. He's a flat eared big eyed creep.

:( Well. That's just mean.

I'll pray for you.

:( Well. That's just mean.

I'll pray for you.

Fat lot of good that will do. Cat is still a creep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There is good reason for that of course. There are good reasons to EXPECT there to be life elsewhere in this universe. The sheer size of it coupled with the fact that if you list in order the elements that make us up, they are 1:1 the elements that make up the universe. We are not all that special.

Seriously nozzferahtoo, that's akin to someone who suggests that there are good reasons to expect there to be a deity in the ethereal universe, or whatever. The point being that what may seem like good reasons to expect something to be true, are still falling a long way short of quantitive evidence. There is no evidence that extraterrestrial life exists, or has ever existed, and there is no evidence of God. As for human beings not being all that special, I'd say given the overwhelming odds that collided in nature to cause human beings to exist at all makes us pretty special. Were it not for a mutated chromosome, we might still be swamp dwellers!

There is however good reason to ALSO expect such life to be entirely unable to cross great distances at speeds that would allow them to find us, let alone visit us, let alone be interested in us enough after all that time and technology to be bothered abducting us on the sly and studying us. Again, we are not that special :)

All argued from your own perception of course, but the words 'reason', and 'evidence' are not interchangeable. The only reason I even mentioned the extraterrestrial analogy in the first place was merely as a somewhat humourous comparable rhetorical question. I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase -

"Talking to god is fine; it's when he talks back we've got a problem!", in much the same way as "Believing in the existence of extraterrestrials is fine; believing you were abducted by them is when we've got a problem!" :pac:

So I do not find it as interesting I am afraid that this disparity exists in peoples thinking because I think both are quite rational positions to hold and no contradiction exists between them.

I've just demonstrated how both positions are irrational, but I never suggested there was a contradiction between them? There are plenty of religious people who believe in extraterrestrials, just ask any Scientologist!

Certainly on the note of the other points being made however, it is wrong for anyone to suggest being atheist requires no thought, or that thinking nothing exists requires no thought, or that one would never consider these beliefs if one was not indoctrinated into them. The simple fact is we all exist in this universe and we have no explanation for this. And exploring those explanations mentally, requires deep thought, regardless of which conclusions you come to, and which ones you reject.

Being atheist is simply an absence of belief in a deity. A person is not required to think about it any further than that, and there are many atheists that don't. They simply just don't even acknowledge the possibility, they don't particularly care. Therefore by that same standard, if a person were never aware of an idea or an ideology such as the idea of a deity, there's nothing to suggest that they would think any further on the subject. Some people are quite comfortable with this position. You can't state that there are no explanations for our existence in the universe, and then say that there are explanations to explore. You're contradicting yourself. I would say there are many explanations offered for our existence in the universe, and depending on how a person's mind works, they will examine the evidence presented, whether it be from a scientific point of view, or a religious point of view, and some people will even process evidence from both perspectives independently of each other. Then there are people who will lean more towards the scientific perspective, and there are people will lean more towards the religious perspective. They don't necessarily have to contradict each other, but some people will indeed pit science against religion when it's absolutely unnecessary IMO, because the brain is quite capable of processing different perspectives and rationalising and compartmentalising each with the aim of eliminating the cognitive dissonance.

I was never "indoctrinated" into religious belief. Except for being in an "integrated school curriculum" I remained somewhat immune and was somewhere approaching 12 before I realised the god stuff being read at what I thought was "story time" was something people ACTUALLY believed.

Well you were a late bloomer! :P Ah no, seriously though, as we've already seen, numerous posters here knew from a very early age they were being sold a crock, that something just wasn't right. They couldn't relate to what they were being told. It's akin to a person who is transgender knowing from a very young age that something isn't right, that they're not the gender they're being told they are. They are employing critical thinking without even being taught the concept. Some people are naturally critical thinkers, some people have to be taught how to express themselves as they lack the vocabulary to bring forth their ideas. I personally think sometimes adults don't give children enough credit that they have this natural ability to be skeptical, and often times I've heard adults use the argument against religious indoctrination that children are being brainwashed. I don't buy it, and I'll explain why - because children, in my experience, have minds of their own. They are quite adept at filtering out noise and disseminating fact from fiction. Brainwashing is a torture technique used to extract information from the brain and replace it with alternate information, literally washing the brain. Some people are more resistant than others, and children in my experience, especially so. It's as they become adults that I would be more concerned because by then their biases and their beliefs are becoming more concrete, but children? Quite malleable little brains they have, and they're able to use them. Otherwise, most people here would still be religious, and would not have been able to separate fantasy from reality. You have to be able to give credit where it's due too!

But when the question of our existence here came to me, the god hypothesis is just as valid as any other one I have heard. So I explored it with just as much intellectual rigor and deep thought. And after 20 years of that I have come to the conclusion that the claim our universe is explained by the actions or existence of a non-human intelligent and intentional agent......is a claim that is not just slightly, but ENTIRELY devoid of even a modicum of arguments, evidence, data or reasoning that validly supports it.

That's why it's regarded as 'faith', and not 'fact' by most religions (yes of course, Creationists immediately spring to mind, but they're hardly a majority religion now are they, and even less so in Ireland).

bnt wrote: »
    You don't have to "believe" in something that works. The computer that you use to post on boards is not powered by faith of any sort, it's powered by electricity. Science is like that. Einstein was horrified by Quantum Mechanics, but it got results (and still does); that is what matters, so he accepted it as a working theory.

Isn't faith described in the Bible as "the evidence of things not seen" i.e. a contradiction in terms? Well, evolution - like science in general - is supported by evidence of things seen, and there's no need to make any of it up. But what if new evidence points evolution in a new direction? Then we'll consider that, too. No belief required, it doesn't define us as people.

It's funny that you mention Albert Einstein, because by all accounts he was an agnostic pantheist, and distanced himself from the atheist labelling. It's no small wonder that he was horrified by the fact that as a pacifist, he'd contributed to the creation of a method that could harness enough energy to wipe all life off the face of the planet. Einstein is also quoted as saying -

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere"

So not quite the best example to use as a person who relied completely on scientific explanations for everything in the universe. I think we can agree though he was one of the greatest minds of our time.

Science too btw, is about finding evidence for the existence of things not seen. Can you see gravity? You can see evidence of gravity, but gravity itself is not tangible (reminds me of the episode of Road Runner when Wile E. Coyote walks off a cliff, is standing in mid-air, when Road Runner hands him a book about gravity. Coyote reads the book, and then falls, the inference of course being that if Wile E. had not known about gravity, he wouldn't have fallen! :D).

Often though, scientists can be blinkered in their thinking, such as when they have a hypothesis, and in order to affirm their hypothesis, they search for evidence that lends credibility to their hypothesis and dismiss evidence that detracts from it. A good scientist will examine evidence that points them in a new direction, a bad scientist will ignore it. Scientists after all, are indeed people too, and without the peer review system, well, we could have ended up believing that homosexuals are homosexuals because... magnets! We could have believed that Sam Harris, a well respected neuroscientist, knew what he was talking about when he makes claims that associate religious belief with mental illness. Being a scientist alone doesn't define someone as a person either. They can still be just as irrational thinkers as the rest of us mere plebs.

A belief in rationality and a rejection of superstition could be considered a value. And although there aren't a fixed set of ethical/moral beliefs it could be stated that there is a meta-ethical view. That is that it's possible to construct an ethical system without relying on a religious system.

Grayson you've studied philosophy and theology. How far do you really think that would fly, "a belief in rationality"? Isn't the whole concept of rational thinking and logic the idea that it stands apart from beliefs or lack of belief? They are the tools used in critical thinking, and they're not indigenous to atheism either. While rejection of superstition could be considered a value, that's not indigenous to atheism either! The construction of, as you put it, a meta-ethical system is not a property of atheism, and as I mentioned him above, this is why Sam Harris tends to avoid the use of the term "Atheist", because he contends that Atheism is neither a world-view nor a philosophy. I'd have to agree with him that the concept of Atheism itself has no value, but that's not the same as saying Atheists have no values. Of course they do, but conflating those values with Atheism is at best irrational, and at worst, completely misguided.

Certainly it would have been better if the OP had recognised the fact that it wasn't because his friend were an atheist that he was banging on about it. It was simply because his friend was an obnoxious twat, an effect multiplied by the fact he'd a few drinks down. There are plenty of people, be they religious or not, that turn into obnoxious twats when they have drink taken, and then there are people that don't even need drink to be an obnoxious twat.

Pwindedd wrote: »
    What about the atheists that you haven't known are atheist. Are they ok? Oh it's just the vocal ones you have issues with. The ones who go about their business quietly without affecting other people are grand.

I find myself feeling the very same way about Christians. Finally some common ground.

Yep, pretty much sums it up really. Obnoxious twats are just obnoxious, but they're not worth getting upset over when there are far more good people in the world than there are obnoxious twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

In real life I never encounter atheists who sneer at people who are religious (or the reverse for that matter).
    Big time. It seems like kinda a fashion to go on and on about how smug atheists are, including by some atheists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Are you saying there is no better or worse forms of moral thinking? Or that certain beliefs or stances cannot be better than others on certain topics.
    While it may seem snobbish or annoying to bring such topics up, usually its because the person on the receiving end has not thought about the topics very much and gets defensive when they realise they don't really have a response.
    Again tact is important, but challenging others (politely) on moral or intellectual grounds can be insightful.

I'm not talking about challenging people on or debating about moral or intellectual questions nor do I disagree that there are some ideals and beliefs (both religious and non-religious) that are just wrong or dangerous.

I'm all for insightful and intellectual discussion, I believe there is no better to learn new ideas and expand your own knowledge and beliefs than sharing them with others and hearing other viewpoints.

My problem is the idea that some elements on both sides of the argument have that they are above everyone else because of what they do or don't believe and become arrogant and rude and even militaristic when you dare speak against their beliefs or try to explain your own.

what may seem like good reasons to expect something to be true, are still falling a long way short of quantitive evidence.

That is because many people are not making the claim there is such life. They are just pointing to the many reasons to expect there to be some. Two entirely different claims.

And that evidence is including our own existence. At least with the claim there might be life elsewhere, we have an EXAMPLE of it here too. Which gets the claim off to at least some credibility if not actual evidence. There is at least some existing basis in reality to expect to find life, that we already know life exists in the universe. Us.

That is not comparable to claims about god for which we have absolutely NO evidence at all, and no previous examples to draw on like we do with life. So saying the two claims are "akin" is simply worse than false. They are very different and not only has the god claim not got any arguments, evidence, data or reasoning going for it.... it also does not have such arguments lending it credibility either.
    All argued from your own perception of course, but the words 'reason', and 'evidence' are not interchangeable.

I am not aware of having suggested otherwise. I am also not aware of many people arguing anything from anything but their own perception. So the above points from you appear to be filler and little more. However I repeat my sentence about god. I see no argument, evidence, data OR reasoning on offer, much less from this thread, to suggest there is a god. The very fact I include both "reason" and "evidence" in that sentence already acknowledges there is a difference between them.
    I've just demonstrated how both positions are irrational

No you did no such thing. You demonstrated that one position I did not mention was unsubstantiated. You have not touched in any way the position I actually expressed, which is the reasons to EXPECT life elsewhere. You instead addressed the position of claiming there IS life elsewhere. So you are rather talking past me for whatever reason.
    Being atheist is simply an absence of belief in a deity.

Well aware of that, thanks, but this does not indicate a lack of thought in any way. One still have to consider the issue in the first place to evaluate whether it is sensible to subscribe to the notion. And it instantly involves further deep thought because one is then left with the question of how and why we are here.
    if a person were never aware of an idea or an ideology such as the idea of a deity, there's nothing to suggest that they would think any further on the subject.

Quite the contrary actually. There are many reasons why one would consider such thought even if not made aware of it by others. It simply comes naturally to us. Its part of our make up. We have what is called "The intentional Stance" and "Agency detection" and these things lead pretty much everyone to look at the world around them and consider "Who made this, what do they want, and what is their intention towards me". The deistic impulse in us would appear to be pretty much innate.

If you could magically delete all religious and god based thinking from the world today, it would not be 5 minutes before it occurred to us all over again.
    You can't state that there are no explanations for our existence in the universe, and then say that there are explanations to explore. You're contradicting yourself.

How am I contradicting myself when I made no such claims? Perhaps the imaginary me that exists in your head is contradicting himself, but the real me is not. I at no point anywhere suggested there no explanations for our existence. There are a multitude of hypotheses on offer, some substantiated, others not, and there are likely many more. And any one of them could turn out to be correct, even the god claim.
    They don't necessarily have to contradict each other, but some people will indeed pit science against religion when it's absolutely unnecessary

The purview of religion is the unknown. It is based on ignorance and "god of the gaps" type arguments. The play ground of religion is the gaps in our knowledge. Science is consistently and constantly eroding those gaps. Therefore it is directly eroding the territory of religion. So it does not take someone to come along and "pit" them against each other. They are already this way by definition.
    I don't buy it, and I'll explain why - because children, in my experience, have minds of their own.

And yet we are also evolved to look to our elders and take them seriously and as an authority. They do have minds of their own and have a natural skeptical nature, for sure, but they also have this over riding trust in authority and adults. Which is also why we find it so horrifying when people abuse that trust. "Brain Washing" is a strong and emotive term for sure, and I try not to use it, but indoctrination to ideas from a young age can and does happen. Like you I put more stock in the abilities and mental faculties of children, but I do not run away with that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

My problem is the idea that some elements on both sides of the argument have that they are above everyone else because of what they do or don't believe and become arrogant and rude and even militaristic when you dare speak against their beliefs or try to explain your own.

My problem is the idea that everyone has their own beliefs and they are all equally special valid.

Nope: most people's beliefs are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Seriously nozzferahtoo, that's akin to someone who suggests that there are good reasons to expect there to be a deity in the ethereal universe, or whatever.

Those two are not the same at all. There is evidence that life exists. You are it.

It's more like saying "Hey look there are fish in this lake! I haven't looked at those other lakes over there, but I have reason to believe some of them might have fish in them too".

You can't state it with certainty or calculate the probability, but you can sure as hell say there is reason to believe it may be so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its a matter of prior plausibility. We give more credence to theories that are consistent with what we already know about the universe.

We know that life is possible, because it exists on planet earth, so it is plausible that life might also exist on other planets.

There's a greater prior plausibility that extraterrestrial life would be carbon based and that the life would require liquid water and relatively temperate climates to survive because we know that these are requirements for life on earth. For this reason, scientists are trying to focus our research on planets that meet these criteria

None of the above rules out the existence of other forms of life in places that we do not expect them to exist, but the law of parsimony means that when resources are limited, we focus our attention on areas that are most likely to achieve results.

If someone proposed that there could be intelligent life on the surface of a star, he would have a very difficult time convincing others to invest time and energy to investigate this proposal because the prior plausibility is very very low based on everything we already know about life. It does not mean that there definitely is not intelligent life on the surface of stars, but it's probably the very last place we would try looking for it

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8v643heTV1r6l6x1o1_500.jpg

Come on!!

And Yea The Beast shall be known by walking on its hindquarters in vile mockery of man and the beast and it's owners who are in league with the dark one shall be taken to place of execution and burned at the stake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Seriously nozzferahtoo, that's akin to someone who suggests that there are good reasons to expect there to be a deity in the ethereal universe, or whatever. The point being that what may seem like good reasons to expect something to be true, are still falling a long way short of quantitive evidence.

The difference, and this is crucial, is that no one kills anyone or makes their lives miserable because they believe there may be life in the universe. People are killing people every day because of a God they deem to definitely exist. The twisting and turning to justify the existence of God shows just how spurious such a notion is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Peist2007 wrote: »
    The difference, and this is crucial, is that no one kills anyone or makes their lives miserable because they believe there may be life in the universe. People are killing people every day because of a God they deem to definitely exist. The twisting and turning to justify the existence of God shows just how spurious such a notion is.

I hear about killers everyday who don't do it in the name of god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Akrasia wrote: »
    We know that life is possible, because it exists on planet earth, so it is plausible that life might also exist on other planets.
    Just like the way that micro-organisms have been discovered on Mars.

There are dozens of planets with the same conditions as Earth however the images we receive of these planets are in some cases millennia old because they're so far away. Evolution on those planets could be almost the same as earth for all we know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I hear about killers everyday who don't do it in the name of god.

Good for you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

smash wrote: »
    Just like the way that micro-organisms have been discovered on Mars.
    No they haven't. Recently organic molecules have been detected, but there are non biological processes that can create methane so the existence of these compounds does not mean that there is life on mars. It's a good sign, but Curiosity is not equipped to detect microscopic life, that's gonna be on the next rover that NASA sends
    There are dozens of planets with the same conditions as Earth however the images we receive of these planets are in some cases millennia old because they're so far away. Evolution on those planets could be almost the same as earth for all we know.
    We barely know anything about the conditions on these exo-planets.

They could be barren desolate worlds like mars and venus, or they could be rich diverse biospheres like earth. We simply do not know enough about them yet.

We're in the very early stages of space exploration, there is an enormous amount we don't yet know about our own solar system, never mind exoplanets that are light years away and require much more powerful telescopes in order to properly observe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No they haven't
    Ok sorry, they found organic chemicals.
    We barely know anything about the conditions on these exo-planets.

They could be barren desolate worlds like mars and venus, or they could be rich diverse biospheres like earth. We simply do not know enough about them yet.

We're in the very early stages of space exploration, there is an enormous amount we don't yet know about our own solar system, never mind exoplanets that are light years away and require much more powerful telescopes in order to properly observe.

The Kepler missions should provide good evidence. There's already speculations through recent discovers that Kepler62e and 62f are earth like planets. Only time will tell.

Grayson you've studied philosophy and theology. How far do you really think that would fly, "a belief in rationality"? Isn't the whole concept of rational thinking and logic the idea that it stands apart from beliefs or lack of belief? They are the tools used in critical thinking, and they're not indigenous to atheism either. While rejection of superstition could be considered a value, that's not indigenous to atheism either! The construction of, as you put it, a meta-ethical system is not a property of atheism, and as I mentioned him above, this is why Sam Harris tends to avoid the use of the term "Atheist", because he contends that Atheism is neither a world-view nor a philosophy. I'd have to agree with him that the concept of Atheism itself has no value, but that's not the same as saying Atheists have no values. Of course they do, but conflating those value with Atheism is at best irrational, and at worst, completely misguided.

You're right that not all atheists reject all superstition. But western ones do. I know we've wandered into Buddhism and stuff but the heart of this is about western atheism. That generally involves a rejection of theism and a rejection of superstition. And that could be considered a value.

Meta-ethical studies, unlike ethical studies, aren't about deciding what's right or wrong. It's about how we decide what is right or wrong. It's the study of ethical systems. Atheists (western ones anyway) do think it's perfectly possible to be a good person and to construct an ethical system without reference to a holy book. Now they might differ on it and that's the point where as you say it becomes impossible to state there is a system of shared values. It's not like you can state that all atheists say that people must be charitable. So we have the same starting point for western atheists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You're right that not all atheists reject all superstition. But western ones do. I know we've wandered into Buddhism and stuff but the heart of this is about western atheism. That generally involves a rejection of theism and a rejection of superstition. And that could be considered a value.

I don't think so - consider someone raised in an atheist household. They've lived their whole lives up to 18 without taking the whole God thing seriously, it's just an silly tale like Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

This person has done what most people do: absorbed the attitude of their parents uncritically, but is still unquestionably an atheist.

Advertisement