Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athiests - Who cares

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

kneemos wrote: »
    If they work.

They dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Akrasia wrote: »
    you call that logic? you have to give a reason why god is different. God is different because god is different is simply 'begging the question' and is a logical fallacy

I know. Hence the ****ed if I know and magnets comment. I'm not the person claiming if we wish real hard anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

If the most interesting thing about yourself is that you are an atheist.. Well... That is kinda sad..
    Dinosaurs and Harry Potter are what I talk about when drunk
    Much more cool B)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm an atheist, I don't think anyone outside my immediate family know. I have kids so its a bit different, people assumed we'd have them baptised so you have to explain why that is not the case but I wouldn't be the type to mention it unless it came up. I don't like religion but don't disrespect those who choose to believe it and follow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

No I'm talking about things that exist in peoples heads that become real.

"Become real" or "have an effect on reality"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

smash wrote: »
    Some colour-blind people might think the sky is purple. But it's not, no matter how you argue it. Even from their perspective the sky can not be declared purple because they have impairment judgement. It's not purple, it just looks purple in their head...

It may look purple in your head, to them, it is blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I think this thread highlights why most people are not outspoken atheists.

Imagine the conversation with Kneemos face to face.

He (assuming a he for simplicity) is either laughing away to himself. Or he believes totally what he's typing.

If you're face to face with him and he's laughing then grand. It's all good. Bit weird but not mental.
    If he believes totally what he's talking about you'd be backing away slowly trying to get away from him. Most religious people I know don't have beliefs that are as weird as Kneemos but when they start talking about gods they believe in I just nod politely and leave them alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

To each their own,

I was an atheist during my teenage years, but I grew out of it.

People change, beliefs change, all part of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Shenshen wrote: »
    "Become real" or "have an effect on reality"?

Real for the person and an effect on reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Real for the person and an effect on reality.
    But not real in reality. Which is different to what you were saying earlier. Entirely.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    But not real in reality. Which is different to what you were saying earlier. Entirely.

Some people may have suggested that but I haven't changed.

What is real in reality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It may look purple in your head, to them, it is blue.

Go back, read my post again and reply with something that's not completely backwards.

smash wrote: »
    Go back, read my post again and reply with something that's not completely backwards.

I've read your post...

Because they have been killed in the name of God.If God didn't exist they wouldn't have been killed.
    If something has an effect it is real.

Yep.

For future reference the first one would have been a bit clearer if you said

Because they have been killed in the name of God.If God didn't exist in their heads they wouldn't have been killed.

I can't think of any way to make the second one logical. I suppose for the second one it's not god that is real in that case. It is the thought of a god. The thought is real, it can have an effect. Thinking of a murderer under my bed doesnt make it real. The thought is real though and can cause an effect in reality.

Oh fuk it. Who cares.

timetogo wrote: »
    Yep.

Don't see any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

The worst kind of athiests are the ones who think because they don't belive in a god it makes them smarter than somebody who does.

Theres an atheist around these parts who is ultra ready to produce "studies" which "prove" that atheists are smarter then people with belief.
    Frequently announces themselves as "coming first in my class for the last 3 years". Obviously people with religious belief NEVER come first LOL!
    Fine, people don't want religion shoved down their throats, you hardly ever see it now anyway. But having your beliefs ridiculed and mocked for no reason is irritating and its completely unnecessary too.
    BTW announcing your atheism does not make you "edgy" nor are you "socking it to the church" . It just makes you an atheist. As already said be you atheist naturist Satanist vegetarian smelly old hippy, try not to be a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

To each their own,

I was an atheist during my teenage years, but I grew out of it.

People change, beliefs change, all part of life.

How did you grow out of not having something?

Don't see any difference.

There's the problem.

Yep.

You may be taking it a bit too literally.
    I don't mean a guy in a flowing white gown is going to appear,but peoples actions prove the existence of God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I kill in the name of my god which happens to be a person with a dogs head.
    He kills in the name of his god who happens to be a turtle with elephants on his back swimming through space.
    She kills in the name of her god who happens to be a pink unicorn.

Has this established these gods are real, of equal merit, or are they three examples of people with beliefs, none with greater merit based solely on their actions.
    If the latter, please provide an example of "God's" (or any god you choose) existence.
    If the former, time to bail

Kneemos, I'm hanging here man
    Don't ignore me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Thread has gone off the rails.

It had rails? :pac:

Hard to derail a thread started by someone who was bored by someone else ranting in a pub and then asks us "who cares?" about the subject matter, to be fair.

Shrap wrote: »
    It had rails? :pac:

Hard to derail a thread started by someone who was bored by someone else ranting in a pub and then asks us "who cares?" about the subject matter, to be fair.

Well, what little rails it had :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I don't mean a guy in a flowing white gown is going to appear,but peoples actions prove the existence of God.

No it doesn't. It only shows that the people believe that said deity exists. It does nothing to confirm the deity actually exists.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There it is again! Which is it man????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Atheism is just another faith position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Saipanne wrote: »

No it isn't, it's a lack of faith / belief system.

Indeed, off :P

I've read your post...

And you got it completely backwards. See it doesn't matter if the sky looks purple in their head, it's blue and that's it. Their perception has been proven to be false.

For theists their beliefs come from a book, which has been proven to be false through science. Going all the way back to the days of creation stated in the bible, it's all been proven false.

• Advertisement

SW wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It only shows that the people believe that said deity exists. It does nothing to confirm the deity actually exists.

Of course if if that deity causes people to take a certain course of action how could it not exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Theres an atheist around these parts who is ultra ready to produce "studies" which "prove" that atheists are smarter then people with belief.
    Frequently announces themselves as "coming first in my class for the last 3 years". Obviously people with religious belief NEVER come first LOL!
    Fine, people don't want religion shoved down their throats, you hardly ever see it now anyway. But having your beliefs ridiculed and mocked for no reason is irritating and its completely unnecessary too.
    BTW announcing your atheism does not make you "edgy" nor are you "socking it to the church" . It just makes you an atheist. As already said be you atheist naturist Satanist vegetarian smelly old hippy, try not to be a dick.

I don't go out of my way to mock others, but if your beliefs are so easily mocked perhaps it's time to find new beliefs?

Generally if people are mocking something it's because it has an element of truth to it.

You see it going on with the whole Muslim cartoon thing at the moment. Muslims don't allow depictions of their Prophet, therefore go mad when people do so.

Many people find this unreasonable and end up satirizing/mocking the belief.

It's the belief that is the issue here as it is dictating how non believers must act. The mocking is just a product of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Of course if if that deity causes people to take a certain course of action how could it not exist?

The deity doesn't. Belief in the deity does.

Because there is absolutely zero proof of any existence of a god. This does not mean that god is real, quite the opposite. Believing doesn't make it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I heard that people of muslim faith have much more regard for people of other faiths than atheists. It seems atheists are the lowest of the low in the Koran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For example having observed the sun rise every morning for 36 years I would place the claim "The sun will rise again tomorrow" as close to 100% as it is possible to get without it being 100%.
    Thinly veiled 'I live in a really sunny place' post.

• Advertisement

I heard that people of muslim faith have much more regard for people of other faiths than atheists. It seems atheists are the lowest of the low in the Koran.

For all religions, non-believers are the lowest of the low. As such, believers feel the need to try and 'save' non-believers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Atheism is flawed logic as it rules out the possibility of the unexplained and as any scientist will tell you their whole life is devoted to the unexplained.

By that token I could say that you not believing in a tiny invisible horse that lives in your mouth and causes bad breath "rules out the possibility of the unexplained".

you said peoples actions prove the existence of a deity. It does no such thing. It only proves that they have a belief in the deity.

For example, I'm posting this in the name of Snoopy. This means that Snoopy exists based on what you've posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lack of belief in something is not a faith position.

My lack of belief in a god is not down to 'faith' - I don't believe in a god because the idea of a god has not been proven to me based on facts. That is not 'faith'.

Just like I haven't seen proof of elves, unicorns or any other mythical creatures. Is not believing in them by default a 'faith position' too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

COYVB wrote: »
    Correct. You either believe in something or you don't. Even if your opinion is that you can never know for sure one way or another, you still either believe in that thing or you don't - no in between exists

I believe that an in between does exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

mrsbyrne wrote: »

He's not wrong, there's a strong correlation between intelligence and atheism, and between education and atheism. Working scientists are much more likely to be atheists than the average Joe.

Not that any of that proves anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Atheism is flawed logic as it rules out the possibility of the unexplained and as any scientist will tell you their whole life is devoted to the unexplained.

No, it really doesnt. What you have is a flawed understanding of atheism.

Back up there... Going by that logic, Muslim extremists who murder in the name of Allah must prove the existence of Allah, therefore all other religions are worshipping a false god because obviously Allah exists.

No, it really doesnt. What you have is a flawed understanding of atheism.

Is it possible you have a flawed understanding of what god is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

This thread is hilarious [Posted in the name of the Queen Xenomorph]

/Forevermore this post shall exist as the undeniable proof that the Queen Xenomorph is a real thing and not in anyway the fictional work of a movie production.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

And it is quite a flawed leap of logic to alternatively believe in a man living in the sky written about extensively by people who have never lived in the sky nor met said man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

He's not wrong, there's a strong correlation between intelligence and atheism, and between education and atheism. Working scientists are much more likely to be atheists than the average Joe.

Not that any of that proves anything.

Who is "he" out of curiosity?

mrsbyrne's buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Peist2007 wrote: »
    And it is quite a flawed leap of logic to alternatively believe in a man living in the sky written about extensively by people who have never lived in the sky nor met said man.

This guy just said anything you think is real, is real.

Therefore if someone thinks there is no god, then there is no god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The guy who was mentioned in the quote of the post that you yourself quoted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement