Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athiests - Who cares

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

smash wrote: »
    mrsbyrne's buddy.

Who is that? I don't follow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He's not wrong, there's a strong correlation between intelligence and atheism, and between education and atheism. Working scientists are much more likely to be atheists than the average Joe.

Not that any of that proves anything.

There is correlation in lots of things like this, atheists and veg*ns and x group have higher iqs, better educated, wealthier etc. Mostly it's coming down to education i would image, which is a byproduct of wealth sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The deity doesn't. Belief in the deity does.

Yes but it's the actions that make the deity real.

The guy who was mentioned in the quote of the post that you yourself quoted.

I know that but "he" wasn't named!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Fuhrer wrote: »
    This guy just said anything you think is real, is real.

Therefore if someone thinks there is no god, then there is no god.

I do not think that is what the guy said. But hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Who is "he" out of curiosity?

Me probably, she called me thick once and I replied with I cant be that stupid, once, no "frequently". Also accused me of wanting genocide before. I think she is an ex of mine.

I was thick for not believing in god. Hence how atheism came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

There is correlation in lots of things like this, atheists and veg*ns and x group have higher iqs, better educated, wealthier etc. Mostly it's coming down to education i would image, which is a byproduct of wealth sometimes.

Is that why Jesuits are poor and uneducated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is it possible you have a flawed understanding of what god is?

'A god' or 'the god'?

If it's 'a god' then you could easily go by any dictionary definition.

If it's 'the god' several thousand religions are going to give you a different answer and understanding. So how can it be flawed with so many possible answers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kneemos wrote: »

Please define what actions provide undeniable proof that a catholic god and jesus christ exist? These actions could change the course of human history.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    'A god' or 'the god'?

If it's 'a god' then you could easily go by any dictionary definition.

If it's 'the god' several thousand religions are going to give you a different answer and understanding. So how can it be flawed with so many possible answers?

No, just god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

This thread is hilarious [Posted in the name of the Queen Xenomorph]

She sounds hot. I'm imagining tanned, toned and curved, an almost transparent negligee with gold filigree on a type of chaise lounge. With sex slaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I don't go out of my way to mock others, but if your beliefs are so easily mocked perhaps it's time to find new beliefs?

Generally if people are mocking something it's because it has an element of truth to it.

You see it going on with the whole Muslim cartoon thing at the moment. Muslims don't allow depictions of their Prophet, therefore go mad when people do so.

Many people find this unreasonable and end up satirizing/mocking the belief.

It's the belief that is the issue here as it is dictating how non believers must act. The mocking is just a product of this.

Who said my beliefs are "easily" mocked ? If its not ok to say to a vegetarian "I think your an idiot/stupid/thick because you don't like to eat meat and I think your vegetarian handbook is a pile of crap" then why is it ok to say " I think your beliefs make you an idiot/stupid/thick and your Bible/Koran/siddur is a pile of crap?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This thread is hilarious [Posted in the name of the Queen Xenomorph]

/Forevermore this post shall exist as the undeniable proof that the Queen Xenomorph is a real thing and not in anyway the fictional work of a movie production.

It's that kind of attitude and mockery that does tend to annoy people. Bit like the whole spaghetti monster thinge

Master of the Universe

No, just god.

There are millions of gods throughout human history. As someone who doesn't believe in any of them, I don't know which one you're talking about.

You'll need to specify.

She sounds hot. I'm imagining tanned, toned and curved, an almost transparent negligee with gold filigree on a type of chaise lounge. With sex slaves

Bang on the money and all you have to do to make sure you get your own sex slaves when you die is to go to a crossroads at midnight every thursday and twerk for 15 minutes. You will then be welcomed to the eternal brothel in the sky upon your death.

*Genuinely worried, based upon some posts in this thread, that this may spawn an actual religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It's that kind of attitude and mockery that does tend to annoy people. Bit like the whole spaghetti monster thinge

People who hear people talking about the Holy Ghost, saying a prayer for a driving test and an immaculate conception also find it a bit annoying since its in the same arena as Aliens and Chem trails

There are millions of gods throughout human history. As someone who doesn't believe in any of them, I don't know which one you're talking about.

You'll need to specify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

What's the big deal?
    If he's an atheist it wouldn't be a real baptism!
    Or would it...?

I am an atheist and my wife is expecting our first child. Fortunately, she is non-religious and so not getting the child baptised is something we have both agreed on.

We also had a humanist wedding - why not just go along to get along and not risk upsetting others who would like a traditional wedding/baptism? Because on important days in my life, I do not want to be lying about who I am and saying words that I do not mean. I feel there are many people in Ireland for whom religion plays no role whatsoever in their life. These people are culturally Christian who see themselves as good people but have no interest in developing a personal relationship with God or learning more about their faith (I'd love to know the proportion of Catholics who believe in literal transubstantiation!) but have never really thought about it at all and just does the church wedding, baptism, mass once a year at Christmas because it's the done thing.

Being an atheist can be difficult and some families won't accept it. I'm very lucky but I know that others have had real issues because of it.

If my child develops a real belief system that doesn't come through indoctrination at a young age, I won't be disappointed - they can believe whatever as long as they've come to it with an inquisitive mind and can respect that others do not believe the same!

I don't think I'm better for not believing and in some ways I would like to so I could hope to see departed family and friends in an afterlife.

I'm not mocking anyone's beliefs, I'm mocking the concept that just because someone does something or believes in something offers undeniable proof to everyone.

How did you grow out of not having something?

The more I studied , the more I grew, the more I became involved in science, the more I studied science, the more convicened I became, that atheism was not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Please define what actions provide undeniable proof that a catholic god and jesus christ exist? These actions could change the course of human history.

Anything that is done in Gods name or because I believe in God obviously means that God is real,maybe not to you but if people do stuff God related then it is plainly undeniable that God exists.

May not be as earth shattering as you suspect.

Master of the Universe

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Who said my beliefs are "easily" mocked ? If its not ok to say to a vegetarian "I think your an idiot/stupid/thick because you don't like to eat meat and I think your vegetarian handbook is a pile of crap" then why is it ok to say " I think your beliefs make you an idiot/stupid/thick and your Bible/Koran/siddur is a pile of crap?"

Mocking a belief is mocking a belief.

Mocking a person is mocking a person.

You seem to be confusing the two.

Who said it's not okay to tell a vegetarian (or anyone on a particular specific diet) that it might be useless/damaging to their health/a pile of crap etc?

If someone was on a diet purely of sweets would you say nothing to them because this was their 'belief?'

Jesus tonight, nobody lives in a bubble. We're all grown adults capable of making decisions and listening to people's opinions on those decisions.

Master of the Universe

Ah, repetition. The first sign that someone is brainwashed.

I shall bid good day to you sir and engage no further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

People do actions in the name of hundreds of different gods daily, do these actions make each of these deities real, simultaneously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Me probably, she called me thick once and I replied with I cant be that stupid, once, no "frequently". Also accused me of wanting genocide before. I think she is an ex of mine.

I was thick for not believing in god. Hence how atheism came up.

Nah, that's not how that happened. tell us shruikan which of us posters was first to use the word "thick" on that thread?
    Your letting yourself down now. For someone who has allegedly been first in their class for the last three years you shouldn't really be admitting that someone as illustrious as you would ever shag someone as "thick" as me.

Ah, repetition. The first sign that someone is brainwashed.

I shall bid good day to you sir and engage no further.

Ah, right. Good day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Anything that is done in Gods name or because I believe in God obviously means that God is real,maybe not to you

I think that you are using unusual definitions of "god" and "real". I like the Philip K. Dick definition:

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Bang on the money and all you have to do to make sure you get your own sex slaves when you die is to go to a crossroads at midnight every thursday and twerk for 15 minutes. You will then be welcomed to the eternal brothel in the sky upon your death.

*Genuinely worried, based upon some posts in this thread, that this may spawn an actual religion.

Praise be her perky nipples, but I'm not worthy to be even a sex slave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The whole spaghetti monster thing came about in the USA as an attempt to highlight the stupidity of teaching as fact something that cannot be proven. Creationism, etc.

The logic being "If i can't disprove yours and it must be accepted and thaught in schools, then neither can you disprove my god".

The Bible of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (all praise to his noodly goodness) is fully fleshed out, with religious feasts, miracles, garb, greetings, prayers, etc. Its a fully formed religion. Not sure how you can be annoyed by it, given that it's really no different to christianity. Words in a book treated as absolute proof and fact.

In the past 12 months i have been subjected to annoying christian messages far more than i have pastafariansim. No booze on whatever holy day, the angelus, etc.

You're ok with one thing that annoys people, but not the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Anything that is done in Gods name or because I believe in God obviously means that God is real,maybe not to you but if people do stuff God related then it is plainly undeniable that God exists.

But if I leave food out every night for the nocturnal unicorn that lives in my garden because I believe that it exists, it does not make it's existence factual does it? I really don't follow what you mean here?

• Advertisement

atheism was not for me.

This is somewhat ambiguous. It might mean "Yelling at people at closing time that there is no God is not for me", and it might mean "That dude with the beard on the cloud created everything".

Or something in between.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Nah, that's not how that happened. tell us shruikan which of us posters was first to use the word "thick" on that thread?
    Your letting yourself down now. For someone who has allegedly been first in their class for the last three years you shouldn't really be admitting that someone as illustrious as you would ever shag someone as "thick" as me.

I said if someone said we should close down all hospitals and replace them with prayer they are thick.
    I had no idea you or anyone else thought that we should close down all hospitals. Please dont hurt me.

People who hear people talking about the Holy Ghost, saying a prayer for a driving test and an immaculate conception also find it a bit annoying since its in the same arena as Aliens and Chem trails

Not sure how to do the whole roll eyes emoticon thinge on the phone.

An earth shattering let down maybe. I don't believe in God but I don't discount the possibility and was looking forward to someone at last providing some evidence that is not nonsensical. Proof that I will see my father again come my death would make my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

So according to your logic by people leaving a carrot out for Rudolph on Christmas Eve, the flying Red-Nosed reindeer therefore undeniably exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Legend_DIT wrote: »
    I am an atheist and my wife is expecting our first child. Fortunately, she is non-religious and so not getting the child baptised is something we have both agreed on.

We also had a humanist wedding - why not just go along to get along and not risk upsetting others who would like a traditional wedding/baptism? Because on important days in my life, I do not want to be lying about who I am and saying words that I do not mean. I feel there are many people in Ireland for whom religion plays no role whatsoever in their life. These people are culturally Christian who see themselves as good people but have no interest in developing a personal relationship with God or learning more about their faith (I'd love to know the proportion of Catholics who believe in literal transubstantiation!) but have never really thought about it at all and just does the church wedding, baptism, mass once a year at Christmas because it's the done thing.

Being an atheist can be difficult and some families won't accept it. I'm very lucky but I know that others have had real issues because of it.

If my child develops a real belief system that doesn't come through indoctrination at a young age, I won't be disappointed - they can believe whatever as long as they've come to it with an inquisitive mind and can respect that others do not believe the same!

I don't think I'm better for not believing and in some ways I would like to so I could hope to see departed family and friends in an afterlife.

We just did the Civil Marriage.

In Holland, many people get married on paper on the day its free in the City Hall and then have a ceremony the next day.

Our friends did it, went on the thursday to City Hall, got married on paper and then had a ceremony and a large bbq and outdoor disco at home.

My understanding of the Humanist thing is you can do pretty much whatever you want during the legal ceremony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Thats ridiculous.

I do everything in the name of a massive mountain full of ovulating strippers.

Alas, simply doing it in the name of something does not make it true.

So believing fervently in something means that, by virtue of that belief, there is an afterlife and heaven etc? Who came back from the dead and told you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Cant help but behold just how threatened theists are be atheists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"maybe not to you" is the problem with your argument, kneemos. Something either exists, or it doesn't.

What you're actually talking about is the idea of God, and that belief in his existence makes people do stuff God related. That doesn't mean that the belief is true, it only means that the person who performs that action believes it to be true.

God may or may not exist. It's impossible to know and illogical to claim truth either way. The very nature of a god or gods is supernatural, and as such can't be measured or proven by any known natural laws (as supernatural deities would exist outside of that scope). That's why it's a belief, not a fact.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    So believing fervently in something means that, by virtue of that belief, there is an afterlife and heaven etc? Who came back from the dead and told you this?

I think it is more that kneemos uses "x is real" to mean "the idea of x exists" for values of x which don't actually exist.

Hence "God is real" means something different from "the thumbtack on your chair, point upwards, is real".

Penn wrote: »
    "maybe not to you" is the problem with your argument, kneemos. Something either exists, or it doesn't.

What you're actually talking about is the idea of God, and that belief in his existence makes people do stuff God related. That doesn't mean that the belief is true, it only means that the person who performs that action believes it to be true.

God may or may not exist. It's impossible to know and illogical to claim truth either way. The very nature of a god or gods is supernatural, and as such can't be measured or proven by any known natural laws (as supernatural deities would exist outside of that scope). That's why it's a belief, not a fact.

I agree with all you have said but, when the existence of God is derived from books written by people who, as you say, had no way of knowing themselves, i tend to lean on the side that their beliefs were just that, beliefs, with no evidence or proof.

Telling people that faith signifies reality is mental and, in 2015, it should be safe to regard it as mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can you address my previous post...
    smash wrote: »
    Back up there... Going by that logic, Muslim extremists who murder in the name of Allah must prove the existence of Allah, therefore all other religions are worshipping a false god because obviously Allah exists.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is that why Jesuits are poor and uneducated?

No, that is totally unrelated to my post. Shows a lack of understanding of society/culture as well as statistics.

I think it is more that kneemos uses "x is real" to mean "the idea of x exists" for values of x which don't actually exist.

Hence "God is real" means something different from "the thumbtack on your chair, point upwards, is real".

I see what you're saying. What a nonsensical way of looking at things!

What i find funny is if you told a religious person that you saw a UFO or unicorn, they would seek evidence and not believe you until said evidence was produced.

Religion, to me, shows the power of indoctrination on children's minds. Those children become adults and still it has a hold despite us living in an information age

• Advertisement

Atheist logic: There are no other dimensions except the first, second and third.

Atheist logic: There are no other dimensions except the first, second and third.

Incorrect.

Legend_DIT wrote: »

Well done Sir. I have had a similar path.

No, that is totally unrelated to my post. Shows a lack of understanding of society/culture as well as statistics.

Yes, correlation is not causation.
    Shows your lack of understanding of human nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

• Advertisement
Advertisement